New Ford F350 or Ram 3500?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandk

Hi folks. We are getting ready to retire and fulltime later this year. Purchasing a Landmark Oshkosh and will need a diesel dually to pull it. Now the truck ....does anyone have the new F350 and if so, are you happy with all the towing "bells and whistles" that is has?  We love the comfortable ride of the Ram 3500 and it's a tough decision between the two trucks. I know people have their favorite truck brand, but I'm wondering if all the extra towing features of the new Ford set it apart from the rest of the pack. Any thoughts?

after 17 straight Chevy's  i bought a Ford in fact i bought 3 last year i got an f350 dually because of the technology over the Chevy ( Chevy builds old man trucks for old people - meaning they are very conservative but very reliable) Ram builds a beautiful truck with a great cumin's power plants that's proven and an Aisin tranny that's built buy Allison - but the front ends are week and so are the electrics which is too bad because i really like the truck the Ford has come along way and mine has been trouble free - there is a reason why Ford is the best selling (I'm still on the fence lo, and where my Chevy coat proudly )  my ford pulls my 17000lbs 5er with ease and its actually very very comfortable which suprises the heck out of me and quiet that cumin's is soo noisy omg  in comparison

Aisin transmissions are totally different than Allison transmissions.  They are a true medium truck transmission.  Their transmissions are also used in forklifts and heavy equipment.  All trucks have their advantages and disadvantages, but the huge advantage of the Dodge Ram is the Cummins engine.  Cummins builds only engines and the partnership with Dodge/Ramstarted in 1988.  They have kept the very similar inline 6 design since the beginning.  I have two Dodge Ram 3500s, both of which I purchased new in 1996 and 2003.  I am considering a new 4500 in the near future.  If you notice on the highways, most of the "hotshotters" that pull 40 foot trailers are running Cummins powered Dodge Ram 3500s.  Those guys put 300,000 plus miles on their trucks and still sell them for $15,000 or more.
All of the "big three" build a great diesel 2500-3500 but in my opinion, it is tough to beat the 5.9/6.7 Cummins engines.

Aisin transmissions are totally different than Allison transmissions.

Aisin is indeed a completely different company than Allison and Aisin AW is in fact the largest auto transmission maker in the world today. Aisan AW is jointly owned by Aisin-Sieki and Toyota.

I'm not aware of any relationship between Allison and Aisan, but that doesn't prove there is none.

The AISIN is indeed a separate company from Allison.  I have a Ram 3500 Cummins and absolutely love the truck, I have had zero issues with it and has proven to be a very reliable workhorse.  I have towed a TT with it and now have a big heavy truck camper, which the truck handles very well.  Basically any of the big three are capable enough to do the job, but know that Ford has had some serious issues with their diesels over a few model years you may want to investigate. There is a business in Mesa, AZ  (sorry forgot the name) devoted to making and installing the failing components on Ford's newer generation diesel trucks.  Ford had a good diesel engine up to somewhere about 2000 or so, then for whatever reason, messed around with a good and reliable design, which created a host of pretty serious problems.  That steered me away from Ford at the time I bought my truck. Perhaps they have worked them out by now, but I know of two owners with 2011's who were having significant problems.  Ram's Cummins diesel and Chevy's Duramax are tried and true power plants and they have for the most part stuck with a winning formula.  The Aisin tranny on the Cummins and the Allison tranny on the Chevy/GMC are very good tranny's, the best in the business.  If I am not mistaken the Allison is included on all Chevy/GMC trucks while the AISIN is only available on the 3500 Ram's and is an option.  If you opt for the Ram, I would definitely opt for the AISIN.  If you opt for a Chevy/GMC look verify if they come equipped with the Duramax.

Gizmo said:
The AISIN is indeed a separate company from Allison.  I have a Ram 3500 Cummins and absolutely love the truck, I have had zero issues with it and has proven to be a very reliable workhorse.  I have towed a TT with it and now have a big heavy truck camper, which the truck handles very well.  Basically any of the big three are capable enough to do the job, but know that Ford has had some serious issues with their diesels over a few model years you may want to investigate. There is a business in Mesa, AZ  (sorry forgot the name) devoted to making and installing the failing components on Ford's newer generation diesel trucks.  Ford had a good diesel engine up to somewhere about 2000 or so, then for whatever reason, messed around with a good and reliable design, which created a host of pretty serious problems.  That steered me away from Ford at the time I bought my truck. Perhaps they have worked them out by now, but I know of two owners with 2011's who were having significant problems.  Ram's Cummins diesel and Chevy's Duramax are tried and true power plants and they have for the most part stuck with a winning formula.  The Aisin tranny on the Cummins and the Allison tranny on the Chevy/GMC are very good tranny's, the best in the business.  If I am not mistaken the Allison is included on all Chevy/GMC trucks while the AISIN is only available on the 3500 Ram's and is an option.  If you opt for the Ram, I would definitely opt for the AISIN.  If you opt for a Chevy/GMC look verify if they come equipped with the Duramax.

Both are owned in part by the Onex corp which in turn owns several subsiduries including Nippon Life which owns apart of Aisin which is part owned  by Toyota which is part owner of Asin and partly owned by Gm

Ask about lift pumps!  Ford has beenmusingmCP4 lift pumps along with GM.  They have a real spotty history and Ford has not covered them, while GM did.  Ram Cummins uses a different pump.  Cummins has 25% fewer moving parts.
The real bottom line which can you get the best deal on?  Either have proven very reliable so choice comes down to price and ride comfort.

There has been very few issues with the "new" Ford 6.7 Diesel.  That motor is made by Ford.  The previous two engines, the 6.0 and the 6.4 were made by International, and had many many issues.  The Ford 6.7 has been used since the 2011 model year and is mated with a completely new (in 2011) 6 speed auto transmission.  I had a 2011 F250 Diesel with that transmission and there were a few "growing pains" with it.  A few reflashes to the transmission control module and Ford replaced some solenoids inside it (all under TSBs and no charge to customers), but after they fine tuned that, I never had another issue.  I got rid of the truck last summer to get a bigger truck for my trailer.....a 2016 F350 Dually with the 6.7 and that very same transmission.  It is an awesome motor/transmission combo.  I've not been a fan of Dodge/Ram for many years and to me, the only thing that is top quality on them is the motor/trans......the rest of the truck, not so much.  YMMV, as well as your opinion, but that's mine.

Test drive em. I went searching for an F350. If I didnt like how they drove (or coming from a Ford family) Id look at a Chevy or Dodge. Depends on what feels right for you.

We looked at all 3. All have excellent engines.

If maneuvering/backing in tight spot is important take a look at the F450.

ALLOY said:
We looked at all 3. All have excellent engines.

If maneuvering/backing in tight spot is important take a look at the F450.

that is correct the 450 has a wider front axle allowing tighter turns but a  lower payload and lower rear axle ratio than  a 350

Back
Top Bottom