Do you use a rock catch net ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradvoorhees

Sorry don't know what its called but I'm a couple weeks out from setting up our 2015 Jeep wrangler as our toad.
I have selected the airforce 1 brake for the set up , I already have the blue ox tow bar.
So with that when I'm running down the road should I be concerned about rock chips? I have one of those sweep guards behind our MH but not sure that is enough to protect the car finish . I'm asking because I have seen several vehicles being towed without the protective apparatus over the tow bar, which is being sold for some ridiculous price.
Your opinions greatly appreciated.
Brad

I've towed a '15 Wrangler now for only 4k miles to date without any nicks, chips nor dings. And that is with a similar setup as yours.
I've also towed other vehicles numerous mile with only one small chip in the windshield. I don't think one should expect to go damage free forever though. Stuff happens.

Corky

We have the 3M film on our motorhome and the fronts of the last couple of toads.  Don't assume it's always the windshield that gets dinged; it also can be the hood and/or fenders.  I wouldn't waste my money on the net because the motorhome isn't always what kicks up debris.  It can be from passing trucks or whatever.  The film has really saved the paint on the front of our motorhome which you don't expect to get dinged.  It has a few places where the film is damaged but it didn't go beneath it to wreck the paint.  Before we started using the film we had a neat little Plexiglas shield that fit into three brackets installed on the front bumper (it was made to fit various toads).  We've had two and they worked quite well but, sadly, they aren't made anymore (the man retired and let his business die).

ArdraF

I'm in a similar situation.  The long, narrow flap (rock deflector?)  on the back of our rig is bent from getting squashed when the jacks are brought up. So I have removed it. Not sure if I even need it or one of those whisker/broom-like jobbies.

Those full width rear flaps and "brooms" are great at deflecting road debris... Right up into your toad in some some cases. We drive on too many dirt and gravel roads to not have protection for the toad in place. We use a Protect-A-Tow, and it does a nice job of keeping the toad protected, and even keeps the rear of the coach cleaner. We leave ours attached to the rear of the coach, only unhooking two clips on the toad when we unhook, so it only take a minute to hook it back up. The Protect-A-Tow also protects the tow bar, wiring, and safety cables.

I finally took the d#$?n flap off the motor home. After towing about 25, 000 miles there is no notable damage to the Jeep paint or glass. I do suspect that highly curved windshields may be more prone to crack.

Ernie

One name for it is "RV Underskirt" I think they changed the name Hold on... AlAS no longr listed on the Blue Ox products page (Mine is z blue ox)

I have not set up my current car to use it , car is dinged up enough when ib ought it.

But... When I travel in less than dry weather. that thing made a HUGH Difference in the amount of Crud I needed to wash off the towed. So I can only imagine what happened with bigger pebbles and such.. I mean a HUGH difference (Clean as opposed to crusted in grime diffrence)  Without it I occasionally have to hose the car down BEFORE I disconnect.

We've used a rear mud flap on both of our motorhomes with much success. It has kept our car hood almost ding free. What is on there could have come from just driving around as well as being towed.

NY_Dutch said:
Those full width rear flaps and "brooms" are great at deflecting road debris... Right up into your toad in some some cases. We drive on too many dirt and gravel roads to not have protection for the toad in place. We use a Protect-A-Tow, and it does a nice job of keeping the toad protected, and even keeps the rear of the coach cleaner. We leave ours attached to the rear of the coach, only unhooking two clips on the toad when we unhook, so it only take a minute to hook it back up. The Protect-A-Tow also protects the tow bar, wiring, and safety cables.

Thanks for this link, a toad protector at a more reasonable price.
I just bought my 2015 last fall, a great find with only 1,700 miles on it so it looks and is brand new, I'd like to help keep it that way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom