New Toad -- Buick Regal GS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

Just thought I'd post a few photos of my new toad.  I bought a 2012 Buick Regal GS a year ago, with the intent of eventually setting it up to tow. It's probably the only Buick in the last 50 years with a manual transmission. We finally got rid of our faithful 2003 Honda Accord with 180k miles on it, so I needed to get the baseplate set up on the Buick.  As usual, Blue Ox designed an amazing product.  I'm very impressed that they make a baseplate for this relatively low production car.

When I got the baseplate for the Honda, I started to install it myself, but decided I needed to turn it over to my local body man.  With the Buick, I gave it a go again, and this time was successful.  If you can get the fascia off, installing the baseplate is not that difficult.  I ended up taking probably five hours total, but could probably do it in three, if I had to do it again. 

I still have to install the wiring and for braking, I have a Ready Brute setup to install.  It's going to be a bit of a challenge, because access to the firewall is not that great.

I'll give a report after our trip to Florida at the end of March. 

Attachments

• buick 1.JPG
    buick 1.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Buick 2.JPG
    Buick 2.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Buick 3.jpg
    Buick 3.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 70
Looks like it was a fun job.....
In the second picture...the front of the car in the background, what is it? Though I knew my old cars but that one has me puzzled.

Arch Hoagland said:
Looks like it was a fun job.....
In the second picture...the front of the car in the background, what is it? Though I knew my old cars but that one has me puzzled.

I wondered who would spot that in the background.  ;)  It's a 1947 Mercury.  If it had been it's fraternal twin, the 1946-48 Ford, I imagine you would have got it right away.  When I was a kid, my dad had a '46 Ford convertible that I used to drive some when I was in high school.  He then restored it, and later sold it to fund the restoration of a different car ('28 Auburn).  Anyway, I gained a love of old cars from my dad and always had in the back of my mind that I'd like to find a '46-48 Ford convertible that was driver quality (not a show car).  This one popped up on the local Craigslist last year and I decided it was close enough.  The DW was kind enough to indulge my nostalgia.

Attachments

• MercFront 2.jpg
    MercFront 2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 41
  • MercRear 2.jpg
    MercRear 2.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 38
jagnweiner said:
I wondered who would spot that in the background.  ;)  It's a 1947 Mercury.  If it had been it's fraternal twin, the 1946-48 Ford, I imagine you would have got it right away.  When I was a kid, my dad had a '46 Ford convertible that I used to drive some when I was in high school.  He then restored it, and later sold it to fund the restoration of a different car ('28 Auburn).  Anyway, I gained a love of old cars from my dad and always had in the back of my mind that I'd like to find a '46-48 Ford convertible that was driver quality (not a show car).  This one popped up on the local Craigslist last year and I decided it was close enough.  The DW was kind enough to indulge my nostalgia.

Just for reference, here's a '46 Ford we did at my shop.  Popular color, apparently.

Attachments

• 0814101102-00.jpg
    0814101102-00.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 0814101103-00.jpg
    0814101103-00.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 13
Just wanted to give a report from our trip.  Roughly 2,500 miles towed and the GS performed beautifully.  I hardly noticed it was there.  I greatly prefer it over my old automatic Accord, because there is no steering wheel lock, so I don't have to have the ignition in the on position (not even an option with no key) and don't have to start and move the transmission through the gears before putting in neutral. 

My only problem now is getting the braking figured out.  Although I have the Ready Brake to install, I wasn't able to install it before the trip.  The engine compartment is just so tight that it's going to be real difficult to find clear space on the firewall to install.  I still want to try to do it, to avoid having to go back to the "box" or some similar system, but just not sure. 

Back
Top Bottom