1998 Rexhall-No basement lights work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Troydklaw

I have a 98 Rexhall Aerbus.  Great shape, everything works...except each of the lights in every basement storage compartment.  None of the lights is getting 12v.  There must be a master switch or possibly a fuse for all of them?  There are ten basement compartments, each with its own light.  The lights are the same model/style as inside of the coach.  Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Welcome to The RV Forum!

Look on the dash for a rocker switch with a little light symbol on it.

There is a switch for lights, it controls two reading lamps in the front end.  Possibly it controls the lower lamps?  I will give it a try.......appreciate the reply.

Welcome to the forum...

on my 2000 Rexhall Aerbus there is a big fuse box under the dash, on the drivers side near your left foot.  It has a big black cover that is velcrowed in place.

look in there for a blow fuse.

Good luck on this tomorrow.  It easy to see,  and work on by opening the drivers door.

I know of no master switch for the bin lights and I believe they are powered by the chassis battery.

On my 1999 Aerbus the storage lights are on circuit #5 in the 12 volt distribution panel located with the converter.  12 gauge black wire.  Check that your getting 12 volts on the panel and that the automotive type blade fuse is good.  The lights are wired series after a couple of lights in the galley.  IF your galley lights are working, the problem is downstream of those lights.  If they don't work, start with them and check for 12 volts at each light.  Since the lights are wired in series, a bad connection or wire break will affect every light downstream. 

Good Luck!

Following up on the help/ideas that were posted. 

The dash switch has no relationship to the basement lights.

There is not a fuse in the driver side fuse panel. 

56safari, in fact my distribution panel appears to be the same and the 5th circuit is the fuse, fuse was good and the interior lights in the circuit operational. 

In crawling around under the frame I believe that I have a cut wire on the front end of the circuit.  More work and wire tracing this weekend, weather permitting.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions!  Hope you enjoy your weekend!!!

If I solve the mystery I will post the results.

The lights are wired series after a couple of lights in the galley. 

Just a semantics thing but lights are seldom wired in series unless you are talking about old Christmas Tree lights!! They are "daisy chained" or wired in parallel and often have individual on/off switches so they are controllable individually or in groups

Basement lights would b4e in parallel
Normally the basement light is NOT a dash switch but a control panel switch elsewhere. HOWEVER the key word is "NORMALLY" meaning anything is possible.
The fuse block you cited as the "Driver's Side" is that the vehicle fuses (Chassis) or HOUSE

On my RV there are four fuse blocks and some more scattered about

1: On Driver's side under dash is called the Conivence panel. Turn signals but not brake lights as I recalll (may have that bass ackwards) Header/HEVAC, Radio and some other stuff
1: ENgine compartment (under hood) INtelletec Battery Control System, Mixed house/chassis circuits
3: Main fuse block, under hood, all chassis fuses (Remember Brake/Turn signal the other one is here)
Not sure if marker lights asre here or under the dash. But between these three ALL Vehicle lights, not fed via circuit breakers are covered. Tail lights. (RV and towed) Brake/turn, Marker and such.

4:HOUSE, in my case this is about mid point on the motor home, in a wall, all house circuits including lights all non vehicle lights. Basement, Porch/work  Interior, Furnace, Water pump Added circuit for TS-2000 (Ham radio) added circuit for Macerator pump when I use it. and so on.

OH I have one more but it was added after market

On my 2002 Arebus the switches for basement lights are on switch panel right inside door, right hand side. 1 switch for all left compartments and 1 for all right compartments, plus individual switches on lights themselves.

Koodog, can you tell me more about where this panel is?  Floor/Wall?  I suspect that if there as a switch it has been removed, but if I can find the place it will was, maybe the wiring will be in tact and I can rewire it.  Do you know where the wiring for these lights get power, coach or chassis?  I?m trying to trace wiring and it seems they go to power center under the hood, drivers side and wiring seems to be free from cuts/breaks.  Fuse in the power converter is good for this circuit.  Thank you for your reply and help!

Switch panel on mine is located right inside of doorway on right side. I have a small pony wall right there.
Power is from coach batts.
Only thing my chassis batts power besides engine start is the reading lights over driver and passenger, and rear light on coach.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom