rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Replacing the air conditioner in a 2003 Roadtrek 170 Popular on Dodge Chassis  (Read 301 times)

BCrJO1

The subject RV has an 8,000BTU Fedders A/C built in--it is under the fiberglass roof. The unit is quite small (12.5"H x 21"w) and is not performing well. I can find no unit being manufactured today that is suitable for an in the wall installation. We did find a window unit that would fit but it overheated almost immediately. I'm considering installing a roof air condition in the existing vent hole, but am concerned that the fiberglass roof would not support the weight.

Has anyone tried this and did it work?

Thanks!

docj

• ---
I'm not sure why you can't find A/C's that are suited for "through the wall" use.  We have an 8,000 BTU Frigidaire A/C--heat pump in a through the wall application in our "casita" in south TX.  Although that unit is tool tall for your application, this one might work: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-350-sq-ft-Window-Air-Conditioner-115-Volt-8000-BTU-ENERGY-STAR/1000069239
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
Maybe someone will remember the thread where a guy was stating his new RV came with a 8000 BTU through the wall a/c and he thought it to small for the size trailer.
I will look but help to find would be nice

Found it
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/board,14.0.html

The size of the opening will be the hard part
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:28:05 PM by darsben »
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

BCrJO1

Hi, thanks for your inputs. The window air conditioner overheats in this installation.

For the second comment, I cannot get ot the link. I must be doing it wrong because it takes me to the "Introduce Yourself" screen

Etzu

Define "overheats".

The popular replacement for the roadtrek is the LG 5k BTU A\C. I personally prefer one that uses knobs over digital since the digital ones use a computer board for the buttons, solder joints for those were never designed for bumpy roads and jostling, I would expect those AC units to fail at that point.