2002 Journey Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Top38

Did Winnebago install a pig tail to tie into when wiring in a trailer brake controller for electric trailer brakes? I took a look under the dash but did not see anything I this area.

Also over the bed is a light, I believe its a 12v deal, I have seen on new models that they changed this to a ceiling fan setup, are those also 12v, I'd like to change mine over.

I have a 32' DL model.

thanks

The trailer brake wiring is provided by the chassis manufacturer - I assume you are on a Freightliner chassis? They are quite skilled at burying the wiring, I had to really dig around to find mine.

The lights are 12V, I've seen ceiling fan installs in newer RVs and thought about installing one in our Horizon but there would be a real hazard of the fan blades hitting an unsuspecting head.

Our 2000 Horizon (essentially the same coach) has a 12V ceiling fan in the bedroom.  Haven't taken out a head yet because, at least in our layout, it is positioned in such a location over the bed that it would be really difficult to actually make contact with it.  Basically, you would have to be kneeling on the bed near the foot of the bed to whack yourself.

That said, we really don't use it much.  It's kind of a pain, because there's only one wall switch that controls power to the overhead light and the fan.  If you want to turn the light off and leave the fan on you have to reach up to the ceiling to switch the light off at the fixture.  Ditto if you want to turn the fan off but leave the light on.  Also, with the light and fan on, it looks a little like a strobe light because the fan blades are rotating below the light (if that makes sense).

Yes it is on a Freightliner chassis. I will look again. Any pictures of what it may look like? It would sure be easier to hook up if its there.

On the ceiling fan, I planned to put it in place of the current light but that my be to close to the end of the bed so I will have to check the head knocker issues first.  Plus the more I think about it,, will there be a strong enough ceiling attachment point for a much heavier fan/light unit since one was never installed in this unit?

Thanks

Top38 said:
Yes it is on a Freightliner chassis. I will look again. Any pictures of what it may look like? It would sure be easier to hook up if its there.
As I remember it was just a cluster of wires with a paper tag under the dash in the general area of the driver's left foot rest.

On the ceiling fan, I planned to put it in place of the current light but that my be to close to the end of the bed so I will have to check the head knocker issues first.  Plus the more I think about it,, will there be a strong enough ceiling attachment point for a much heavier fan/light unit since one was never installed in this unit?
Call or email Owner Relations and they can send you a diagram of ceiling structural elements. You might need to make a plate that spans two stringers to handle the extra load.

I meant to go out last night to take a picture of the ceiling fan setup in our coach, but got a little sidetracked.  Sorry, maybe I'll remember when I get home tonight.

As John said, my brake controller wiring was in the recess in the floor under the left footrest.  You are looking for a flat 4-wire plug, on mine colored blue/white/red/black with a bit of wrap around most of the harness and a yellow shiny tag.  Might be coiled up, even in a plastic bag.  Some have said theirs was up under the dash to the left of the steering column, but mine was in the floor recess.  You might have to feel along the bottom edge of the slanted footrest plate and remove some screws to gain access.

I will check under the dash again and take a good look in that area. Still winter here so I got some time. It would sure make it easier to install.
Thanks

Going to try to get in there tonight or this weekend. My MH has the surround sound deal and I remember the amp is under a foot rest in this area, it's wedge shaped. I do remember a bus load of wires in this area!

emiddleb, got your pictures also thanks

Looked again last night, no luck. From the pictures I have seen, there is basically a cutout in the floor of the coach where are the coach wiring comes up from below. Mine does not have this. There are 3 large bulkhead style connections in this area where the coach wires come up from below. As noted by John, white tags were on many but none listed trailer brakes nor could I find anything not connected that could have been this prewiring from the coach.

I talked to a friend of mine who has a Tiffin, believe its a 03, on a Freightliner chassis, he said he could not fine any prewiring either.

John you mentioned calling Owner Relations, do you have that number. Maybe Winne has this wiring tucked up in the dash itself rather than below by the floor.

Thanks for everyone's help. At least it is not a real big deal to run the wiring myself if I have too.

Update

If it's there, they have done a great job of hiding the brake controller plug. I can't located it. I cut all the zip ties, move all the wire clusters around, zippo! :( Just going to run one wire to the brake pressure switch under the floor and one to the back of the MH  and one to power out front above the generator and be done with it.

Thanks for the help!

I had a similar experience with my '04 American Tradition. Dug into the dash multiple times - mine even had easy access - and never found it.  Ran the brake wire as you plan to do and alll was well.

Back
Top Bottom