Outdoor dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coopster8

Wow just started to plan my ft traveling and found out that a couple sites dont have cable tv.. what no cable these days, never heard tgat before, but back to why im asking a question.. i seen alot of people had dish outside.
So my question is where can i get one?? Amazon?? How do you have to set it up?? Dish net work? Is it better to get a mounted or portable? > cost?? Monthly, annually?? Plus i have a keystone challenger 2009 5th wheel..any guidance would be great.. thank you

Coopster8 said:
Wow just started to plan my ft traveling and found out that a couple sites dont have cable tv.. what no cable these days, never heard tgat before, but back to why im asking a question.. i seen alot of people had dish outside.
So my question is where can i get one?? Amazon?? How do you have to set it up?? Dish net work? Is it better to get a mounted or portable? > i have a keystone challenger 2009 5th wheel..any guidance would be great.. thank you

Not to hijack your thread but, if you're interested in buying used I have one that was going to be advertised next week.
I can send you the details if you want.

Corky

Standard dish is normally part of the package.  If you are going to be moving around a lot, then you should look for an automatic dish such as a tailgator which finds the satellites for you and normally it will find the satellites faster than you can get the rest of your trailer hook ups done if you set it out first. 

The dish receiver can be rented or purchased.  Just call dish directly and set it up through them.  Tailgators are available from many sources.  You can have it all done at home and then hit the road or do it someplace along your route where you are going to be staying.

I have never been in a CG that has good working Cable or WiFi either.  I always just do my own thing. 

Dishes are readily available from many sources including Amazon, E Bay and manufacturer sites like Winegard.

Some work with DTV, some with Dish, and some with both.

Most Dish network dishes support DH; many DTV dishes only support SD.

Some dishes are permanently mounted on the camper, some are portable  If you are parked under trees, your permanent dish will probably be blocked.  A portable dish MAY find a place to sit that WILL find the satellite.

Some dishes require completely manual aiming and setup.
Some dishes automatically lock on the satellite WHEN PARKED.
Some dishes designed for RV / MH are "in motion" dishes that can track the satellite while you drive.

Choice 1  Provider
Choice 2  Fixed or Portable
Choice 3  Manual or automatic

Programming is an entirely different, but related topic.

There are several options for Dish type satellite antennas, But if you ask nicely. Dish and Direct both have what they call "Disaster Revoery Kits"

Dish Tripod and some Coax,

grashley said:
Dishes are readily available from many sources including Amazon, E Bay and manufacturer sites like Winegard.

Some work with DTV, some with Dish, and some with both.

Most Dish network dishes support DH; many DTV dishes only support SD.

Some dishes are permanently mounted on the camper, some are portable  If you are parked under trees, your permanent dish will probably be blocked.  A portable dish MAY find a place to sit that WILL find the satellite.

Some dishes require completely manual aiming and setup.
Some dishes automatically lock on the satellite WHEN PARKED.
Some dishes designed for RV / MH are "in motion" dishes that can track the satellite while you drive.

Choice 1  Provider
Choice 2  Fixed or Portable
Choice 3  Manual or automatic

Programming is an entirely different, but related topic.
Ok, i guess the best would be a portable one, ill call dtv or dish and see the monthly charge to rent or just to buy one. I think automatic one would be best.. too lazy to set up? never thought of the trees, so portable would be best, not like im going to watch tv in 5th wheel while driving

You will not want Directv.  With Dish you can get HD with one of the portable domes.  You do not buy the domes from Dish Network.  Search the internet for the best price, and buy it.  As for the receiver, lots of places sell them, so again nose around.  Be aware of buyong from places like Craigslist as much of the stuff is not actually theirs to sell.

Parks may or may not provide tv service via a coax cable - many do not. And those who have it may not have  much choice of channels and sometimes just provide local broadcast stations received via a community antenna and distributed to the sites by coax cable.  Heck, there are parks where even broadcast tv (over-the-air) is unavailable or extremely limited.

If you want satellite tv, you will need to subscribe to Dish or Direct TV. Usually you rent the receiver as part of the subscription, and a fixed satellite dish comes with it. The standard subscription is an annual contract, but Dish has a Pay-as-you-go monthly service as well.
https://www.dish.com/programming/packages/pay-as-you-go/

RVers need portable dishes and auto-aiming dishes simplify set-up at each new location. You have to buy the nice portables or fixed mount automatic dishes yourself.

Some of the comments about HD and Direct TV are misleading. Direct TV has their specialty HD channels on a satellite that is not easily accessible via a dome-type antenna mounted on an RV, so you cannot use them if you have that type of dish.  However, all their standard network channels are on a readily accessible satellite and nearly all network tv is broadcast in HD these days.

We have some articles in the RVForum Library about satellite tv access. They are getting a bit outdated and no longer cover all the options, but the basics still apply. Here is one such:
Satellite TV

Some info sources:
https://www.dishformyrv.com/
http://www.campingworld.com/electronics/satellites-receivers/satellite-antennas

One thing to be aware of with dome style antennas and Dish, is that they will not work with the multi-tuner Hopper DVR series of receivers. Only the "Wally" receivers in the current new equipment lineup will work. The older obsolete VIP 211 series receivers also work with the domes, but Dish recently announced they will no longer activate them on new accounts. The Hoppers require an open face multi-LNB dish.

When we were up on the Iron Range in MN I could not get anything.

Also as mentioned we have been many places where the campground had no TV, cable, or more than one radio station. Some folks do not need it.

If you do it is wise to check ahead of time. I have found many of the KOAs we stayed in had cable but as mentioned the local cable may not have all the programs you are used to.

I have dish network, I have a Tailgater, It works pretty good most everywhere I've been. Occasionally I have to call dish and have them "reset" my receiver on their end. If You don't use it all the time You have to call them about once a month to get it reset, even though it's automatic it still takes a little while to get running. It's not just plug it in and watch TV, You've got several steps to get it setup, But, it's super easy. I love it, I would recommend it, I wouldn't get a fixed antenna because a lot of places are covered with trees. It's important to have a clear view of the Southern sky.

really? try life without one you  may learn something. in 25 years i have never found a need to use cable or dish TV - the world is my satellite

There's a difference between "need" and "want", Steve. Our motorhome is our home, and we do enjoy watching various TV programs and sports events when we're home. And keeping up with the events of the day and weather of course...

NY_Dutch said:
There's a difference between "need" and "want", Steve. Our motorhome is our home, and we do enjoy watching various TV programs and sports events when we're home. And keeping up with the events of the day and weather of course...

i stand corrected ;D

Back
Top Bottom