Single or dual axle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepbill

We are looking at buying our first "used" travel trailer, about 23 feet in length.  If your choice came down to either getting a single or dual axle trailer at the same price, which would you go for?  My feeling is the dual because I believe that it would be safer but not sure if this is just in my head.

This question is generally answered by the weight of the TT and axle capacities, although I guess 2 - 3500# axles will support the same trailer as 1 - 7000# axle.  as a general rule, I would prefer 2 axles.  If (when) I have a flat, there is still something supporting that side of the camper.  Far more important than how many axles is if you really LOVE the FLOOR PLAN.  How many axles is almost an afterthought.

Dual axles for sure; you have 2 more tires between you and the road, and also another axle with braking, etc.

rbrdriver said:
Dual axles for sure; you have 2 more tires between you and the road, and also another axle with braking, etc.

A resounding yes....on two. You have the positives of, more stability, more braking, less weight on a single axle suspension, tires, and rims.  You may check to be certain that you have brakes on both axles....manufacturers cut corners everywhere they can! Plus, in the “rare” chance that you burn a wheel bearing or have some type of failure with the spindle area of the axle....you can use a ratchet strap, and secure the drum/spindle up to the frame and limp ( on three wheels)  to a shop or a safe location. Rather than be stranded on the roadside...especially helpful if your in a remote area.

The advantage to dual axles is when you hitting a pothole or a bump only has half as much energy is transmitted to the trailer because as one wheel deflects, the other is still on the flat surface of the road.  With a single axle the entire trailer dips or bounces the full height of the obstruction.

Few if any 23 foot trailers will have a single axle.  It's not impossible cause there are axles that can handle several thousand lbs, but  few recreational trailers are built that way.  Typically the break point will be at 17-18 ft in length. Of course, an 18 ft floor plan trailer will have an overall length of 22-23 ft when tongue length and bumper is included.

Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan, it remains when all other issues are resolved or accepted.

I feel much better with a double axle, because I feel (maybe incorrectly lol), that if I have a catastrophic tire failure, like a blowout while going 60 MPH, the trailer would handle better by falling onto the other axle. If you have a catastrophic tire failure with a single axle, it seems much more likely to flip both the trailer and/or tow vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom