Avira free Antivirus 2017 or 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nvrver

I did a 365 day search for Avira and found nothing.  Anything good or bad regarding Avira free Antivirus?
I just received an email from AVG and they want to charge me $199. for two year renewal, when I took it out 2 years ago it cost me $62..  I don't plan on renewing.  Also checking on AVAST.  My usage will be for my Windows 10 laptop and Android smartphone.  Dick nvrver 

Why pay at all?  I have had no issues with what comes with Windows 10.  I had Norton a few years back, and payed the yearly whatever fee it was.  But it so took over my network and computers, I couldn't even talk to a computer 10 feet away.  It was ridiculous.  I uninstalled it, started using Windows Defender, and never looked back.  I have had a couple of rough rides, mainly because my wife likes to surf and find things for her crafting.  Pinterest is really bad.  But it wasn't anything I couldn't recover from.

That being said, your mileage may vary.  Some people may feel like they are getting a better product if they pay for it.  In some cases, that may be true.  But my experience has been, they all miss things.  It's a matter of what you're comfortable with.

I watch and listen to several computer security podcasts. ALL of them say what edjunior said. You do not need anything other than Windows Defender. It comes with all Windows machines and it's FREE. It also keeps itself updated in the background so you don't have to worry about keeping it up to date.

Even if you do decide you want third party anti-virus, there are several highly rated free ones. I've been using AVG for years.

As you can see I am looking at Avira free or other free antivirus to add to my Windows 10 and not paying the high price of a paid antivirus.  I am also open to what is included in W 10.  With Windows Defender do you do system scans or it is all done without your knowledge?  Dick

Following this. I keep hearing Avast Free was really good, so I have that running on my Windows 10. Should I be running both? Drop the Avast?  I hear that's not a good thing to run two antivirus at the same time.

As stated above....there is a free version of AVG.  It's highly rated, does a great job,......and did I mention.....it's free!  I've been using it since about 2010.  They also have, and I use, a mobile version for Android phones and tablets. 

xrated said:
As stated above....there is a free version of AVG.  It's highly rated, does a great job,......and did I mention.....it's free!  I've been using it since about 2010.  They also have, and I use, a mobile version for Android phones and tablets.

Ditto

Bill

I started using Eset free antivirus on my older computers about three years back, no Malware or viruses! I have a Newer HP computer with W/10, has 4GB Memory with 500 GB SSD and has a  Intel Celeron processor, is much faster than the old Celeron processors! I am trying to get by with Windows Defender. MalWarebytes also has a free version available! Happy Trails!

Interesting, logged into my AVG account and canceled my paid subscription plan with AVG Ultimate and got the following message.

?Your subscription expires in 39 days, and you'll be left with only the basic coverage of AVG AntiVirus FREE and AVG TuneUp FREE?.

Looks like I will just keep the free plans.  Dick nvrver

1. I have found Windows Defender and AVG free to be compatible - I have one machine with both.
2. I have McAfee on another machine (it was provided free from my ISP). It slows down the machine like Symantec/Norton did when I tried it - I plan to replace McAfee with AVG free.
3. The ONLY problem I have with AVG free is the "invitations" to "upgrade" to the paid version - easily ignored.
4. I tried Avast and it worked OK, but I liked the AVG displays better - "different strokes..."
OK, I'm done.  ;^D

IMHO AVG is nagware.  Always pitching a paid service with annoying pop ups.  I only use it on Android devices.

I get Norton free from my ISP and have never noticed slowdowns.  I keep most everything else it does disabled.  I use it on all of our important devices - windows and Apple both.

I use Windows Defender on a MS Surface and it seems to be OK.  Not too invasive and doesn't appear to slow the machine down.  But I'm not using Autocad or anything 'heavy' on it.

In my volunteer gig I have to support McAfee.  Don't like it at all.

I agree with a number of your other replies about Windows Defender. 

I work in the I.T. department in a small university.  We traditionally used Symantec Endpoint Protection (The Enterprise version of Norton AV) on all our systems.  As of about 6 months ago we switched full-time to using the Windows Defender product which is included in Windows 10 and we've not seen any rise in the virus and trojan infection rates on campus.  No product I've ever used in 25 years of professional I.T. work has proven substantially better than any other contemporary product.

Save yourself some money and just use Windows Defender.  If you're still on an older version of Windows (7 or 8.x) you can use the also-free Microsoft Security Essentials in Defender's place.  It uses the same AV engine.

Since no single AV application is flawless, if you ever find yourself with a suspect email attachment (Aren't they all?) an added measure is to scan them both with Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes.

Cheers,

DAn K.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom