Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: propane generator run time  (Read 665 times)

sunvale

• ---
propane generator run time
« on: February 27, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »
So I purchased the 2017 View Sprinter Mercedes with the propane generator and sure like to know what the expected run time on a tank of propane should be. Just running with perhaps the TV going and charging a laptop or making a Keurig pot of coffee i go through LP like nothing.
Any one else that has the problem, if not let me know what you experienced.
Peter
Key West

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
Re: propane generator run time
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 05:28:23 PM »
If you can post which in generator you have, someone can probably provide you an idea of how many gallons or pounds it burns per hour. For instance my 7500 diesel generator will provide approximately 63 amps (7500w / 120v = 62.5a), and burns approximately 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour under "full load." A TV and the laptop together is a very light load, and both should run on your batteries. A coffee maker is a relatively large load, pulling 7 to 10 amps likely.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:32:25 PM by afchap »
Paul ... (KE5LXU), was fulltimin', now parttimin'...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40e
'05 Honda Odyssey toad
Escapees, FMCA, SMART, WIT
http://www.pjrider.com

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:55:06 PM »
Lichtsinn Motors has a good article on choosing the generator for the View or Navion. The Onan Cummins 3600 watt propane generator consume.6 gallon per hour at half capacity and .7 gallon at full capacity.

Lichtsinn Article
https://www.lichtsinn.com/blog/should-i-get-diesel-or-propane-lp-generator/
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 07:41:03 AM »
Yup, you are going to quickly burn through the propane with generator use. A diesel gen set is mega more efficient over a propane fueled genny. Adding to what Paul said, our 7.5 Kw diesel Onan runs about three hours on one gallon of diesel - this is with the electric water heater and AC running, etc., etc.

Larger home standby propane fueled generators usually have a dedicated 250-500 gallon propane tank.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »
John H. gave you good info. Perhaps even more to the point, the Onan 3600 LP still uses 0.4 gal/hr with no load at all, so it gulps LP at a fair fast rate even with a light load. The LP tank on the View is listed as 13 gallons, but the LP fill is 80% of that, so you have about 10 gallons of LP to burn.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 07:48:39 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

JakeR

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
The One Place monitor is not accurate for one thing.  When at 1/2 you will need only 2 Gal of propane.  Here is my propane level monitoring that has been verified with many others: 
Full should equal 10.4 gallons
1/2 indicated = 8.1 gallons remaining (from experience)
1/4 indicated = 6.1 gallons remaining (from experience)

We charge our electrical devices using the inverter.  Can use it when driving and will not deplete the coach batteries.  Just remember to turn off when not in use.    Keurig has wattage higher than stock inverter so running the generator for it is needed.  I run a Braun coffee maker off the inverter so I can have early before campground generator hours begin.   Big TV does need either the inverter or generator on.  I use the inverter normally as it is quieter and I have solar panels to charge my AGM Coach batteries.  We hardly ever need the generator except to power the microwave and our monthly maintenance run.  But keeping the above levels in mind you may actually have more propane than you think you do.

Jake
Northern CO
2017 Winnebago Navion 24J
2017 Fiat 500 C Toad

sunvale

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 10:26:46 AM »
I suspected something like that with the monitor. It's been on 1/4 for some time now.
Like to figure out a way to get a bigger solar panel/s and inverter going and understand the entire  process more more

RoverTom3

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 12:06:59 PM »
 We have 19,000 miles on our Itasca Reyo (Sprinter 3500 diesel). The propane Onan 3600 usage is exactly as JakeR describes. I have made repeated trips to Suburban Propane with the monitor reading 1/4 tank only to take on 4 gallons which should read 3/4 or there abouts. I am going to add a strip gage to the tank and leave it at that. I have to get down on my knees anyway to access the lockers so may invest in some really nice knee pads to add to my collection.