Fantastic Fan cover motor makes noise but over won?t open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpena Jeff

I have 3 of these in my coach. Two work beautifully. One not so much. I got them on the phone and told me i needed a new cover motor and lift bracket arm.
Seem reasonable?
Thanks guys.

I just started having problems with mine a few days ago, yet the last couple days no problem. I beleive there is an issue in the drive motor area and/or the limit switch that stops it when opening and closing. The point is, mine was also making noise but not moving, and by wiggling a little, and pulling the handle down to go to manual mode, it has started working. That make me think there's something loose in the drive area and the motor is fine. Just speculation but thought it might help.

Have you tried operating in manual mode?

(Edit: Bill and I were posting at the same time. Yes, that was my interpretation as well, that the gear was not engaging.)

HueyPilotVN said:
Sounds like the gear is not engaging.
Pretty simple to fix.

Is it self explanatory once taken apart or do you have secrets you can share?

Sometimes it is as simple as using a screwdriver to take the cover off and push the screw gear into engaging the shaft and then putting it back together with the screws tight.

Now that advice is worth just what you paid for it.

HueyPilotVN said:
Sometimes it is as simple as using a screwdriver to take the cover off and push the screw gear into engaging the shaft and then putting it back together with the screws tight.
Now that advice is worth just what you paid for it.

Took it apart and while there was nothing super obvious going on it did seem the manual/auto engagement mechanism was hanging up a little. Sprayed with dry lube and excercised, seems good, put it back together.

So we'll see if I got my money's worth or not

A much simpler (and less expensive) diagnosis is that the lid is simply sticking a bit. The motor is designed to shut off (stall) if the lid stops moving, so it just grunts a bit and them quits.  It's not unusual for the plastic dome lid to stick to the rubber gasket on the metal rim.  I've also seen lid arms that got cocked a bit and bind enough to cause a motor stall. Give the lid a bit of a push to break it loose and see if it moves OK.  If so, clean off the gasket and lubricate with a silicone or even WD 40.

Alpena Jeff said:
I have 3 of these in my coach. Two work beautifully. One not so much. I got them on the phone and told me i needed a new cover motor and lift bracket arm.
Seem reasonable?
Thanks guys.

Jeff, exactly what is the vent doing to give you a problem. Please be more specific.

The cover motor runs. The knobby thingy spins like its opening the cover but cover doesn?t move. I hit the power button on the wall again and the spinny thing reverses direction like trying to close. Cover never opens or closes and motorwill not stop unless I pull fuse.
I went on the roof Gary and lid is not stuck. I can slightly move it without breaking it.
Hope this helps all.

Back
Top Bottom