No good options for TALL folks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Looking for a Class C or possibly small A suitable for tall people. Everything we've looked at so far has obviously been designed to accommodate "average" size occupants. From the cramped driver seat compartment to the undersized bath & shower configuration designers obviously didn't have tall folks in mind. I doubt if there's any "perfect" rigs out there but perhaps at least something with above average comfort for tall people? Or should we be looking at very large Class As that we really can't afford in the first place.  :-\

My 08 Thor Outlaw has room for a 7 foot tall basketball player in the shower !
Love it compared to others I have been in.. ... But it is a 37" Class A
and of course, a 10 foot garage in back... the best part...

Bob

I'm almost 6'2" and found you have to compromise some, but have been enjoying RV since 1984.  Keep looking or maybe just stay home.  Dick

5th wheels tend to have tall ceilings. I doubt you?ll find a ceiling you like in a C. I?ve never been in one but I hear the ?See Ya? class A coaches have taller ceilings

But look at the Alfa's carefully. A lot of them had a serious problem with the Flion skin pocking up badly. Other than than that, they seem to be a great coach. Not only are they tall, the slides are really deep, adding room when open. One other thing that seems sub-par is their basement air conditioning, but I understand there are better replacements out there. For the most part, it seems as if folks either love or hate Alfa's. I've seen some comments that knocked the Alfa's, but if one reads carefully, some posters just try to make the coach they own seem better to justify their egos. The Gold series is nicely appointed.

How tall is tall. I live in a 2005 Damon Intruder and there is no place I need to Duck at 6'3" (Getting shorter with age though now 6'2") Thoug as is always the case the shower, if it were a fixed head, would be a bit short. but it's a "Telephone" type (hand held wand) so no problem there either.

Am reminded of an old comic strip.. The character is talking about the hotel room and the showeer. Has to bend over nearly double to shampoo hair.

John From Detroit said:
Am reminded of an old comic strip.. The character is talking about the hotel room and the showeer. Has to bend over nearly double to shampoo hair.

Hey!  I think they made that about me!  I'm 6'-5".  ;)  Some hotel showers are the WORST!

We have a Minnie Winnie 26A, and one of the reasons we really like the coach is that I fit fine everywhere.  Headroom in the living area is around 6'-8", and maybe 2" shorter in the bedroom.  I don't have any "headache" spots, and even with a few barley pops in me I've never even scraped anything on the ceiling with my comically oversized melon. 

The bathroom and shower are separate, so each is good sized.  Plenty of legroom when on the throne.  While my head is slightly in the roof "bubble" in the shower, it's not uncomfortable at all, and I have no issues using it. 

The rear bed is a queen size, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that, unlike many coaches we tried, my feet don't hang off. 

I will say that another inch or two of legroom in the driver's seat would be nice, but it's not at all uncomfortable, and on par with just about any E450-based coach we tried.  Ford just loves that big ol' doghouse. 

Aside from the fact that this coach works nicely for those of us who are "vertically gifted", the moral is keep looking.  There are actually some nice, non- class A options for us lofty folk.

PS:  As you're looking at units, TRY OUT EVERYTHING!  Sit on the toilet.  Get in the shower.  Lay in the bed.  Pretend you're stuck in there for a rainy weekend, because it will surely happen.

Probably need to be specific about what is "tall."  I'm 6'2, have run into problems with most of the smaller options I checked out, and am called tall by some, but don't really think of myself as outsized.  Found a small trailer at 6'5" but with some relatives 6'7", I decided that if they ever join me, they'll just have to adjust.  Not something I wanted to do when buying for me though.

I was 6'4" when we got married. Wife cut me down to size. Now 5'5". Sued the city last year cause they built the sidewalk too close to my butt. When I break wind I blow sand into my shoes.

I am 5'1" and have to jump up and down to turn on the ceiling lights.  On the other hand, I fit into airline seats.  My son is 6'3', however, and he fits into mt C, except for the shower which is short.  You will also have to check beds because they tend to be "short"queens, which fit me fine, but not my son.

Depending on how tall you are, you might have to consider a small A. 

FunSteak said:
PS:  As you're looking at units, TRY OUT EVERYTHING!  Sit on the toilet.  Get in the shower.  Lay in the bed.  Pretend you're stuck in there for a rainy weekend, because it will surely happen.

BEST POSSIBLE ADVISE FOR ALL!!!  You were doing this, and led to your starting this thread.

OldGator:  TOO FUNNY!!

Oldgator73 said:
I was 6'4" when we got married. Wife cut me down to size. Now 5'5". Sued the city last year cause they built the sidewalk too close to my butt. When I break wind I blow sand into my shoes.

Hahaha!  Fantastic.  I hereby award you 10 internet points!  ;D

Methinks this was a quasi-troll First Post from the OP, designed to generate some light but not much heat. OP, could you confirm that with a second post? From a 6'4" curious RVer.

BRex said:
Methinks this was a quasi-troll First Post from the OP, designed to generate some light but not much heat. OP, could you confirm that with a second post? From a 6'4" curious RVer.

Well, I've been called a lot of things, but never a troll!  :)

Shortly after my post we had to pack up at our rental property in Florida and rush back to Upstate New York in order to be here to witness the 30 inches or so of snow we got with this last storm. Wife still things we could have just watched it on television from the comfort of the swimming pool back in Florida but...

In any event, we've started looking at RV options this winter and stopped by a number of dealers in SW Florida while there. I'm 77" tall and while it seems that most all of the C's we looked at had adequate head room, the driver's seat in particular just was not very comfortable. I could accept the limitations of the bathrooms & showers with respect to roominess and could make due if it was at least physically possible to use those facilities. However the prospect of extended road trips driving a vehicle with no more than our current mini van was a pretty big negative.

Being a complete novice I didn't even realize the front seats in C's in general don't rotate given the overall cab/chassis design.

I'm coming around to thinking that we're going to have better luck finding a suitable unit within the Class A models. We went an RV show in Tampa while there and quickly realized that the number of options out there was truly amazing. And believe it or not, every salesman we spoke to assured us that THEIR vehicle was far superior to the competition!  ::)

So, assuming I can get us dug out of the snow, my plan is to check in here and learn from the expertise and experiences of others. Along the way asking all manner of dumb questions too I expect.

Thank you for returning and clearing that up.

I'm 76" tall and we recently attended an RV show. Most if not all of the Class C's we looked at had adequate headroom.
The problem with most of the C's was the cutaway opening between the cab and the chassis was not designed for adults to leave the front driver/passenger seats and head straight back into the house portion. I could not even begin to do it on several models so I had to exit via the door and come in by the mid-door entry. You might have the same issue.
Another issue was the front seats are restricted in their travel backwards and their tilt range, due to the wall of the coach being right behind the front seats.

I will be interested in hearing your opinion on this.

Take care and have fun shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom