rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: No good options for TALL folks?  (Read 1259 times)

jymbee

• ---
No good options for TALL folks?
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:15:05 PM »
Looking for a Class C or possibly small A suitable for tall people. Everything we've looked at so far has obviously been designed to accommodate "average" size occupants. From the cramped driver seat compartment to the undersized bath & shower configuration designers obviously didn't have tall folks in mind. I doubt if there's any "perfect" rigs out there but perhaps at least something with above average comfort for tall people? Or should we be looking at very large Class As that we really can't afford in the first place.  :-\

hedhunter9

• ---
Re: No good options for TALL folks?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 09:28:36 PM »
My 08 Thor Outlaw has room for a 7 foot tall basketball player in the shower !
Love it compared to others I have been in.. ... But it is a 37" Class A
and of course, a 10 foot garage in back... the best part...

Bob
Bob n Sharon
2008 Outlaw 37' Toyhauler
2 Yamaha Majesty's
Northern Indiana

nvrver

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:44:58 PM »
I'm almost 6'2" and found you have to compromise some, but have been enjoying RV since 1984.  Keep looking or maybe just stay home.  Dick
Charter Life Member Good Sam
RVing since 1984
2006 Winnebago Class C, Ford V-10
2013 Honda CR-V EX AWD
Member WIT - Washoe Winnies

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
  • (Formerly known as Sun2Retire)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:49:48 PM »
5th wheels tend to have tall ceilings. I doubt you’ll find a ceiling you like in a C. I’ve never been in one but I hear the “See Ya” class A coaches have taller ceilings
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 04:16:36 AM »
You should check out Alfa class As as they have a very high ceiling.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 06:07:47 AM »
But look at the Alfa's carefully. A lot of them had a serious problem with the Flion skin pocking up badly. Other than than that, they seem to be a great coach. Not only are they tall, the slides are really deep, adding room when open. One other thing that seems sub-par is their basement air conditioning, but I understand there are better replacements out there. For the most part, it seems as if folks either love or hate Alfa's. I've seen some comments that knocked the Alfa's, but if one reads carefully, some posters just try to make the coach they own seem better to justify their egos. The Gold series is nicely appointed.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 06:51:15 AM »
Im almost 6'3" and 245 its one of the reasons i love my truck and 5 er lots of room in both.
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2014 F150 Ecoboost Reg cab (company truck) daily driver
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded  5167lbs cargo/weight capacity
Selling truck parts for 15 yrs plus
" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 07:05:21 AM »
How tall is tall. I live in a 2005 Damon Intruder and there is no place I need to Duck at 6'3" (Getting shorter with age though now 6'2") Thoug as is always the case the shower, if it were a fixed head, would be a bit short. but it's a "Telephone" type (hand held wand) so no problem there either.

Am reminded of an old comic strip.. The character is talking about the hotel room and the showeer. Has to bend over nearly double to shampoo hair.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »
Am reminded of an old comic strip.. The character is talking about the hotel room and the showeer. Has to bend over nearly double to shampoo hair.

Hey!  I think they made that about me!  I'm 6'-5".   ;)  Some hotel showers are the WORST!

We have a Minnie Winnie 26A, and one of the reasons we really like the coach is that I fit fine everywhere.  Headroom in the living area is around 6'-8", and maybe 2" shorter in the bedroom.  I don't have any "headache" spots, and even with a few barley pops in me I've never even scraped anything on the ceiling with my comically oversized melon. 

The bathroom and shower are separate, so each is good sized.  Plenty of legroom when on the throne.  While my head is slightly in the roof "bubble" in the shower, it's not uncomfortable at all, and I have no issues using it. 

The rear bed is a queen size, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that, unlike many coaches we tried, my feet don't hang off. 

I will say that another inch or two of legroom in the driver's seat would be nice, but it's not at all uncomfortable, and on par with just about any E450-based coach we tried.  Ford just loves that big ol' doghouse. 

Aside from the fact that this coach works nicely for those of us who are "vertically gifted", the moral is keep looking.  There are actually some nice, non- class A options for us lofty folk.

PS:  As you're looking at units, TRY OUT EVERYTHING!  Sit on the toilet.  Get in the shower.  Lay in the bed.  Pretend you're stuck in there for a rainy weekend, because it will surely happen.

JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »
Winnebago class As have 7'2" interior heights.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL

fishingbob

• ---
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 03:48:03 PM »
Probably need to be specific about what is "tall."  I'm 6'2, have run into problems with most of the smaller options I checked out, and am called tall by some, but don't really think of myself as outsized.  Found a small trailer at 6'5" but with some relatives 6'7", I decided that if they ever join me, they'll just have to adjust.  Not something I wanted to do when buying for me though.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »
I was 6'4" when we got married. Wife cut me down to size. Now 5'5". Sued the city last year cause they built the sidewalk too close to my butt. When I break wind I blow sand into my shoes.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
I am 5'1" and have to jump up and down to turn on the ceiling lights.  On the other hand, I fit into airline seats.  My son is 6'3', however, and he fits into mt C, except for the shower which is short.  You will also have to check beds because they tend to be "short"queens, which fit me fine, but not my son.

Depending on how tall you are, you might have to consider a small A. 
Full-timing for over six years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »
ROFLMAO Gator.  DW is too.
Thanks
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »
PS:  As you're looking at units, TRY OUT EVERYTHING!  Sit on the toilet.  Get in the shower.  Lay in the bed.  Pretend you're stuck in there for a rainy weekend, because it will surely happen.

BEST POSSIBLE ADVISE FOR ALL!!!   You were doing this, and led to your starting this thread.

OldGator:  TOO FUNNY!!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 08:07:53 PM »
I'll be in town another week. Please stop by.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 09:45:49 AM »
I was 6'4" when we got married. Wife cut me down to size. Now 5'5". Sued the city last year cause they built the sidewalk too close to my butt. When I break wind I blow sand into my shoes.

Hahaha!  Fantastic.  I hereby award you 10 internet points!   ;D
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

BRex

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »

Methinks this was a quasi-troll First Post from the OP, designed to generate some light but not much heat. OP, could you confirm that with a second post? From a 6'4" curious RVer.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 11:03:36 PM »
Methinks this was a quasi-troll First Post from the OP, designed to generate some light but not much heat. OP, could you confirm that with a second post? From a 6'4" curious RVer.

Well, I've been called a lot of things, but never a troll!  :)

Shortly after my post we had to pack up at our rental property in Florida and rush back to Upstate New York in order to be here to witness the 30 inches or so of snow we got with this last storm. Wife still things we could have just watched it on television from the comfort of the swimming pool back in Florida but...

In any event, we've started looking at RV options this winter and stopped by a number of dealers in SW Florida while there. I'm 77" tall and while it seems that most all of the C's we looked at had adequate head room, the driver's seat in particular just was not very comfortable. I could accept the limitations of the bathrooms & showers with respect to roominess and could make due if it was at least physically possible to use those facilities. However the prospect of extended road trips driving a vehicle with no more than our current mini van was a pretty big negative.

Being a complete novice I didn't even realize the front seats in C's in general don't rotate given the overall cab/chassis design.

I'm coming around to thinking that we're going to have better luck finding a suitable unit within the Class A models. We went an RV show in Tampa while there and quickly realized that the number of options out there was truly amazing. And believe it or not, every salesman we spoke to assured us that THEIR vehicle was far superior to the competition!  ::)

So, assuming I can get us dug out of the snow, my plan is to check in here and learn from the expertise and experiences of others. Along the way asking all manner of dumb questions too I expect.

BRex

• ---
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 09:38:33 PM »
Thank you for returning and clearing that up.

I'm 76" tall and we recently attended an RV show. Most if not all of the Class C's we looked at had adequate headroom.
The problem with most of the C's was the cutaway opening between the cab and the chassis was not designed for adults to leave the front driver/passenger seats and head straight back into the house portion. I could not even begin to do it on several models so I had to exit via the door and come in by the mid-door entry. You might have the same issue.
Another issue was the front seats are restricted in their travel backwards and their tilt range, due to the wall of the coach being right behind the front seats.

I will be interested in hearing your opinion on this.

Take care and have fun shopping.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue

nvrver

• ---
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 01:42:34 PM »
Before you buy any C or A make sure the slide is in behind the drivers seat.  We looked at some C & A's that when the slide was in it was no longer comfortable for driving.  Dick nvrver
Charter Life Member Good Sam
RVing since 1984
2006 Winnebago Class C, Ford V-10
2013 Honda CR-V EX AWD
Member WIT - Washoe Winnies

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »
Thank you for returning and clearing that up.

I'm 76" tall and we recently attended an RV show. Most if not all of the Class C's we looked at had adequate headroom.
The problem with most of the C's was the cutaway opening between the cab and the chassis was not designed for adults to leave the front driver/passenger seats and head straight back into the house portion. I could not even begin to do it on several models so I had to exit via the door and come in by the mid-door entry. You might have the same issue.
Another issue was the front seats are restricted in their travel backwards and their tilt range, due to the wall of the coach being right behind the front seats.

I will be interested in hearing your opinion on this.

Take care and have fun shopping.

We may not typical in the sense that we anticipate driving a lot-- as opposed to driving to location and staying put for an extended period of time. With that in mind overall driving comfort is of prime importance and none of the Cs I tried so far offered much comfort at all with respect to legroom. 

Know what you mean by the contortion necessary to enter the back. Although I can manage the certainly not as comfortably as what one can expect with the layouts in an A model.

davidfrench

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 01:03:15 AM »
Hey, new tall member here, curious about the update on the OP's RV choice. I'm 6'6" (198cm or 78") and looking for a tall TV but on the compact (Class C obviously) side.

Cj8rockcrawler

• ---
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 05:56:25 AM »
I'm 6'2" and am perfectly comfortable (so far) in the 2008 Four Winds Chateau 34H that we just picked up. It is a little taller than the other units they make being based on the Kodiak chassis. I think the brochure shows interior height 84" vs. 80" in their other units. The driver's seat has plenty of room for me too.