New Mexico....Towbar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2kGeorgieBoy

Jena and I are in the midst of a return from Glendale, AZ back to home in Westcliffe, Co. We bought a 1996 Geo Tracker setup for towing: hardtop, Blue Ox towbar, rebuilt engine, manual front hubs,  etc. Question is, on our way back up I40, as we approached a  weigh station shortly after crossing into NM, I noticed on the sign listing who needs to pull in, the word "towbar". I blew on past it as I didn't see it until it was too late and then I really wasn't sure what that meant. We were towing the Tracker with our '15 Sorento, not the RV. Can anyone shed some light on this situation? I was thinking of contacting the New Mexico DOT when I get home and find out for future reference what it means. Is it for commercial vehicles or all vehicles using towbars which would include us in the KIA or in the RV?

That's what I was thinking, too. I assumed that the towbars they were referring to, were from the commercial side of things, but you never know.

Generally, that "towbar" reference is for commercial towing, not for the typical RV use. I have a toad and have yet to ever pull into a weigh station in any state, including New Mexico.

We went to NM last fall. I saw the sign and pulled in. A lady sitting at a window waved us through. I think it'@ intended for commercial trucks pulling two trailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom