New to RVing. Might be permanent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I second that emotion...  ::)

If you are only moving it once a year or so on a job, then forget towing it and hire a mover. They are surprisingly affordable.

Craigslist is full of licensed insured one and then there is U-ship where dozens will bid to have your business. Rates are reasonable. I just went through all this moving my 5th wheel because I found out my bicycle wasn't going to be much help moving it.  :eek:

So you could easily buy a used 5th wheel and pay to have it moved to where you want to live and work. If the campground offers extended stays then there is a 99% chance they will have full hookups which means you won't be moving it to dump the tanks. You can settle in and relax after work. Some RV parks will give you a hefty discount if you can pay for 6 or 12 months at once. Most do not advertise this at all, so be sure to ask about an annual rate.

Even though I used a mover to relocate my 5th wheel I still bought collision, comprehensive and road side service on my rig. The roadside service was only $16 for the year, and basically that meant if the tire went flat or blew, I could have a truck come out and change it on their nickle not mine.

Start used, cause they are far cheaper than new and you can learn your way around.

Visit loads of used dealers and check out some craigslist ads, the more rigs you see, the more you get a feel for what appeals to you and what doesn't. Get a floorplan that suits your lifestyle. Imagine what you will be doing in it. If the weather is somewhat nice where you will be you can use some of that basement storage for outside chairs etc. I spend loads of time outside. Some even come with outside TV's or hookups for one. Typically they hide behind a basement door.

Since you will be living in it, you may want one with extra features such as a washer/dryer. If it doesn't come with an electric heater fireplace, you might be able to add one, freestanding or built-in. The prior owner of mine had built in a fireplace heater into a corner cabinet that was just storage. It's fun ambiance for sure as I can run it with or without the heat option. Matter of fact mine heats the entire RV until it drops below 40F, give or take,  then I need to supplement with propane furnace, but not for long.

The benefit being you will have electric heat as well as the propane furnace they typically come with. Some 5th wheels come with two AC units, so if it's super hot, you can turn on the spare.

Oddly enough my 1992 5th wheel came with an 18 inch dishwasher as an original option. So I feel very spoiled as people keep saying "What? You have a dishwasher too?"

Good luck and maybe think about the transporter/mover as an option and just keep enjoying your current vehicle.

zeeter said:
Are we saying a 2500 might not be enough? Remember that I'm only going point to point; not traveling around constantly. That is, I'm in Maryland, so if I get a job in New Mexico then I'm driving it to New Mexico and leaving it there. Then in a year maybe I move it up to Denver. Then San Francisco. Etc...

I also need the TV to be reasonably fuel efficient for driving to work and back. With a truck I don't expect to get good mileage, but logic tells me the 3500 will be significantly heavier and use up more fuel. It might be better MPG than the 2500 when towing because the engine doesn't have to work as hard, but when not towing is what I'm thinking about.
Heare is a thought if you are only gong to move once a year or less just pay to have it moved.

Bill

You know what's kind of been bugging me? All of the RVs I've looked at have dishwashers. I'd think that of all the necessary features in an RV, a dishwasher would be the least of my worries since it is literally right next to the sink. I'd much rather have a small oven. If I wanted something that was going to take up a ton of water and power it would be a washer/dryer combo.

You know what's kind of been bugging me? All of the RVs I've looked at have dishwashers.

Hard to say without knowing what you have been looking at.  Larger, luxury-class rigs often include dishwashers, but they surely are not common in travel trailers or even the majority of 5W's. And from what I see, any rig that has a dishwasher also has a washer/dryer.

Most newer RVs have a convection/microwave rather than a gas oven. RV gas ovens are small and notorious for poor heat control and uneven baking.

** I just looked thru a variety of Forest River travel trailer models and did not see a single dishwasher, even optional. Both gas ovens and convection-microwave ovens were common, though.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers.aspx

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Hard to say without knowing what you have been looking at.  Larger, luxury-class rigs often include dishwashers, but they surely are not common in travel trailers or even the majority of 5W's. And from what I see, any rig that has a dishwasher also has a washer/dryer.

Most newer RVs have a convection/microwave rather than a gas oven. RV gas ovens are small and notorious for poor heat control and uneven baking.

** I just looked thru a variety of Forest River travel trailer models and did not see a single dishwasher, even optional. Both gas ovens and convection-microwave ovens were common, though.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers.aspx

Annoyingly, now that I'm looking specifically for one with a DW I can't find one. They were on almost every trailer/5W I looked at yesterday.

My dishwasher is not a full size household type, it's only 18 inches wide. It happens to be water efficient. I wasn't looking for a dishwasher either, but I must admit, since I love to cook from scratch and sometimes entertain friends, I often do amass a pile of bowls, dishes, pans and utensils in quick order. It has been oodles of fun to let the dishwasher do the grunt work for me.

I haven't owned a dishwasher in 31 years, so this was kind of funny and newfangled to me.

I could see a drawer type dishwasher being a bit more space friendly and efficient on an RV. Mine is the 2 rack type but it's 18 inches across.

I use the dishwasher to load up other things beside dishes for a thorough super hot cleaning. I also use the "cool" option for drying, to be thrifty with energy use.

Ironically in 1992 this 5th wheel came standard with a big ice maker or the option for the dishwasher rather than the big ice maker (in the same spot). So the original bill of sale from 92 which came with the rig, shows the dishwasher was the chosen option. Me personally thinks an icemaker is a waste of space. I can and do make ice in trays, them dump them in a storage bin in the freezer for future use. That takes up minimal room compared to the big ice maker that the kitchen was designed to accommodate.

About that gas oven. I love mine and use it often, especially when it's chilly outside, as the extra heat from baking is a welcome addition inside, in spite of having to use the exhaust fan. BUT... I use mine with the addition of an oven thermometer. That way I can adjust the dial to the correct temperature I desire.

While a microwave oven with a convection built in is handy indeed, I like having my gas oven too. I often use the microwave for steaming fresh veggies because they come out with beautiful color and more nutrients intact. Something else can be baking in the oven while steaming in the microwave (in my way of thinking).

Back to the gas oven...
It seems engineering overlooked calibrating  the oven dial correctly.  :eek:
So buy an oven thermometer and enjoy baking! It will help you "re calibrate" the oven knob.

Also, for some strange reason, in my 1994 Class C, the oven was assembled wrong and didn't work right, matter of fact it was a virgin, having never been used. When I first used it the results were dismal, then I realized it was assembled wrong!

Once I assembled it correctly, it worked fine. I wonder how many stoves were sent out with the oven put together wrong?  :-\

However, Magic Chef, has a huge broiler in the bottom and a small oven at the top. Had they made the broiler a lot smaller (in height) the broiler would still be functional (and quicker) and the oven would be larger. I can say that because years ago, I installed an RV stove on my sailboat and it had the smaller broiler and larger oven, so large that I could fit a small turkey in it whole. The shorter broiler worked fine and was very quick. I could make toast in under a minute, but in my Magic Chef, making toast is a pain in the tush and takes a long time so I gave up on toast. The oven actually works better at making toast, but it takes as long as the broiler does.

Maybe Magic Chef thought we needed that huge tall broiler for steaks that are 4 inches thick???  ::)

At some point an engineer (or factory?) decided to make the broiler larger and the oven smaller. This confounds me and seems nonsensical.

In the 1992 5th wheel I just bought, the oven came with a light! I was so excited until I couldn't get it to work. When Gary sent me a link to go buy and try a 12 volt bulb instead of a 110 bulb... TAH DAH!

Thanks Gary, the 12 volt bulb works and I now have a working oven light!

So, that begs to wonder... WHY did Magic Chef drop the oven light option?

It's heaven on earth now to turn on the light and look/check  the item baking then quickly close the door and keep the heat inside, not outside. Before I was trying to use a flashlight, but having the bulb builtin, is much nicer.

You know on a lot of ovens, you can remove the knob and use the set screw behind it to calibrate the oven temp, right?  I learned that right here on rvforum.

Have you considered another option.  Buy a motorhome and tow a car.

johnaye said:

You beat me to the punch as I was going to suggest the same thing.

A used Class A DP will could/will be the same amount as a new truck and a 5th wheel.
And if you have a vehicle to tow now all you would have to do is buy 1 used Class A instead of 2 vehicles.

But what ever you do don't buy a 16-18ft TT to try it out unless you like wasting money as you will be upgrading that in short order.
Full timing for a year at a time will require some storage space which will be very little in a TT of almost any size IMO.

But you came here for advice so I would suggest you at least look into the suggestions posted here.  If you decide against them fine.
If you never look into them you may miss the perfect unit for you - buy one and be done vs. many units over time.

Good luck with what ever you decide on and PLEASE report back when you do get something so other can learn from you too.

johnaye said:

I don't think you really want a motorhome to sit for a year without being moved. A 5th wheel is a much better choice for this application.

zeeter said:
Annoyingly, now that I'm looking specifically for one with a DW I can't find one. They were on almost every trailer/5W I looked at yesterday.
For a minute there I thought they were selling them  with a free wife ?

Larry N. said:
I don't think you really want a motorhome to sit for a year without being moved. A 5th wheel is a much better choice for this application.

Biggest issue in this case is now you have 2 chassis, engines etc , but the op is also looking at larger units with dishwashers so the Canyon has to go and a new or newer 3500 is in order, a few priorities need to be made first

jackiemac said:
Please, free wife, Like any major purchase it isn't the initial cost it is the maintence that will hurt you.
Some are much better than others. ;) ;D
Bill

Larry N. said:
We are full time in a DP and I am still working.  We will be taking three trips this year, including the one to get the annual service done.  Every month we run the engine at a high idle for 30 minutes and run the generator with a load for 15 minutes.  No problem so far.

johnaye said:
We are full time in a DP and I am still working.  We will be taking three trips this year, including the one to get the annual service done.  Every month we run the engine at a high idle for 30 minutes and run the generator with a load for 15 minutes.  No problem so far.

My comment was a relative to the recommendation of a motorhome for the OP, not a reference to what you do.

Old_Crow said:
You know on a lot of ovens, you can remove the knob and use the set screw behind it to calibrate the oven temp, right?  I learned that right here on rvforum.

Do you have a pic of that? I removed my Magic Chef oven knob and I don't see a set screw.

There is a tiny nut in the 7pm position.

I tried taking a pic, but it wouldn't come out well enough to see anything.  The screw is about an inch down inside the shaft after you remove the knob.  There might be a blob of silicone or something blocking the view of it.  All you'll see is a slot for a tiny common screwdriver.

steveblonde said:
Biggest issue in this case is now you have 2 chassis, engines etc , but the op is also looking at larger units with dishwashers so the Canyon has to go and a new or newer 3500 is in order, a few priorities need to be made first

I'm not looking for a dishwasher. I just noticed that a lot of them appeared to have them. Though now that I've said that I can't find one, so maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.

jackiemac said:

That would certainly incentivize my purchase for me :)

Again, though, it's looking like if I do anything it is going to be small. If I hate it then it won't cost as much to get out of it. Plus I'd lose a lot on my Colorado if I had to trade it in. More than I'd lose reselling the small RV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom