Your opinion on this 1995 Monaco Dynasty class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronniebellie

I need your opinion on this 1995 Monaco Dynasty Motorcoach on Craigslist at the link below.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1995-monaco-dynasty/6508797866.html

The NADA average retail is $11,800 shown at the link below.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1995/Monaco/Cummins-300hp-38/3022387/Values

I texted the guy and said "Might be interested in looking at it if the price were close to the NADA guides. Does that seem reasonable?"

He said flat out "No!"

Two questions. Does this look like a good deal? How do you suggest I proceed?

Thanks,

Ron

The NADA RV Guide is an estimated value and not based on actual sales data.  It tends to get out of whack on rigs more than about 10 years old, and also  on popular models that retain their value better than average.  After a point age has little relevance to a motorhome's market value - the condition and features are the key elements. The price reaches a "floor" and hangs there as long as the condition is acceptable.  A Dynasty is a high end model, so even a 1995 vintage should be well-equipped. If kept in good condition, I would guess the price floor to be somewhere around $20k. The two negatives that are common to rigs of this vintage are the lack of a slide and dated interior styling and/or color schemes.  That latter is very much a personal preference thing, though, and some will not think it important at all.

If you think this coach is for you, you need to go see it (pictures rarely tell the whole story) and check out both visual and mechanical condition. Maybe get a professional inspection if you don't know much about RVs.  Then make an offer you feel is reasonable. The seller apparently has reduced the price from $27,500 to $24,500, so may be reluctant to make further price concessions, but you won't know unless you put an offer on the table.  If he declines, you can try to wait him out and see if he will reconsider after a few weeks or months (assuming somebody else doesn't buy it).  Or you can increase your offer, or just walk away and shop elsewhere.

Good advice in the above post. IMO his asking price is more than reasonable. As long as YOU are happy with the floor plan etc. I would want clearer pics and a HX (number of owners, maintenance history, tire history etc)  of the coach before I physically checked it out. I would also recommend having it professionally inspected and pull an oil sample if possible.

They were a well-made coach in those years but I am a little prejudiced!

Keep us posted,

The add  says "good tires"!! What  does that mean???  All tires on Motor Homes/trailers have a 'best before' date of about 7 years of age and should be replaced, regardless of mileage, at around that age. That would be a $3-4000 expense or more, right off the bat. (All tires have the manufacture date molded into them.)

Go see it with $20K cash in your pocket. If you like it tell him you would like to offer $15K and negotiate up towards the $20K in your pocket. Make him aware that any "deal" struck is contingent on an inspection.

Oldgator73 said:
Go see it with $20K cash in your pocket. If you like it tell him you would like to offer $15K and negotiate up towards the $20K in your pocket. Make him aware that any "deal" struck is contingent on an inspection.

I personally disagree.  Look at the coach in person or hire someone to inspect and verify overall condition and features.  You can tell if a rig has been cared for and well maintained vs. neglected and/or abused.

I hate it when people low-ball just to try to personally benefit from it when they can tell someone obviously  took care of their asset.  IF someone truly cares for their coach, vehicle or whatever I have no problem offering a "fair" price or even paying asking price because they took care of it and it shows.  I'm not saying that is the case with this coach but pay according to the upkeep and care vs. just low-balling to get a good deal.

My wife and I are far from rolling in the money but NOTHING irks me more than having something for sale and having someone show up and try to steal it.  My stuff is highly maintained and cared for and I routinely get people who compare it price wise to something they saw on the internet and just want something for nothing.  I have actually asked people to leave and get off of my property for such disrespect and behavior.  If this trend continues I see people taking less care of things because there is no reward for doing so at the end when they sell.

Off of my soapbox now.

Mike

zmotorsports said:
I personally disagree.  Look at the coach in person or hire someone to inspect and verify overall condition and features.  You can tell if a rig has been cared for and well maintained vs. neglected and/or abused.

I hate it when people low-ball just to try to personally benefit from it when they can tell someone obviously  took care of their asset.  IF someone truly cares for their coach, vehicle or whatever I have no problem offering a "fair" price or even paying asking price because they took care of it and it shows.  I'm not saying that is the case with this coach but pay according to the upkeep and care vs. just low-balling to get a good deal.

My wife and I are far from rolling in the money but NOTHING irks me more than having something for sale and having someone show up and try to steal it.  My stuff is highly maintained and cared for and I routinely get people who compare it price wise to something they saw on the internet and just want something for nothing.  I have actually asked people to leave and get off of my property for such disrespect and behavior.  If this trend continues I see people taking less care of things because there is no reward for doing so at the end when they sell.

Off of my soapbox now.

Mike

I don't think you were on a soapbox. Just stating your opinion as I was. But as a bit of a rebuttal to your post I would say there is a big gap between the sellers asking price and the NADA estimate. The OP already asked the seller if he would take the NADA estimate and received an emphatic "NO". I'm sure the seller has a price in mind and I would posit he added several thousand $ to that price. Some folks do not like to haggle. That's the type of buyer a seller wants. A seller not willing to negotiate may have to sit on his product until the aforementioned seller shows up.

That's too much "mauve" for me but his price does not seem too far out of line. The NADA average reflects all the ones that were wrecked or neglected which does not seem to represent this coach.

The NADA price doesn't even represent actual prices. It is a depreciation calculation based estimate derived from the new list price. A better estimate may be had from places like ppl which lists actual sales prices for, I believe, the past year. Or review listed prices in for sale ads.

Ernie

My only thoughts on this is that the NADA is way out of whack. Hell, you can't get a really nice mid 90's Bounder for much less than 10K. I know that late 90 slick side Foretravels seem to be available for upwards of $50,000 so don't know how the Dynasty compares. But seller asking price seems reasonable if the condition is as stated and maintenance is up to date, especially tires. A wide body non slide coach is actually a pretty decent rig. Have seen several in our travels and some actually look stunning as to their condition and exterior appeal.

Bill and Debbie said:
My only thoughts on this is that the NADA is way out of whack. Hell, you can't get a really nice mid 90's Bounder for much less than 10K. I know that late 90 slick side Foretravels seem to be available for upwards of $50,000 so don't know how the Dynasty compares. But seller asking price seems reasonable if the condition is as stated and maintenance is up to date, especially tires. A wide body non slide coach is actually a pretty decent rig. Have seen several in our travels and some actually look stunning as to their condition and exterior appeal.
Have you actually bought a really nice mid 90s Bounder for under 10k? It would be a POS if you did. They always need a ton of work and money at that age.

I like that coach. It appears to be in really nice shape for the age. One would have to check the dates on the tires and make sure all the appliances work properly. Also batteries checked and the roof is important to have a look at. Any water stains on the ceiling. The carpets appear to be clean and in good shape. I would have a look if I were you.

Bill

The way people think that the NADA value is the gospel of pricing crack me up.  The ONLY time people give a **** about NADA price is when they are buying, not selling. ::)  That should say it all right there, it is merely a depreciation schedule or calculator, has very little to do with actual value of anything. 

Mike

NADA is pretty much Gospel for a personal auto because prices are well-established and actual sales transaction regularly reported, but not even close to that for RVs, Boats, and Classic Cars.  Buyers need to forget their car-buyer experience when RV shopping - there is very little in common.

I personally think NADA is useless on older coaches, if it were based on a depreciation curve for a given model it would be better, but even here it is overly broad.  The example I like to use is based on my own coach, which is a 28 ft 2002 Safari Trek on a P32 chassis, which had an original MSRP of $119,000, according to NADA it is worth $15,150, and has been for the last 2 years.  NADA will have that exact same price for any P32 chassis motorhome under 32 ft long regardless of brand built between 1997 and 2002, regardless if it were a entry level Fleetwood Flair with an original MSRP of $62,000 or a fully loaded Safari Trek costing $120,000.

IME the only value NADA has for a motorhome is when talking to the credit union loan officer, who has NADA on the brain. She thought I got the deal of the century.

I searched for over 6 months for a nice, clean, low mileage, reasonably priced, less than 27' long class c. And when I found it the owner was firm on his price so I ended up paying over double of NADA listed value. 

And by the owner had it listed $4K less than comparable class c's that I looked at.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
NADA is pretty much Gospel for a personal auto because prices are well-established and actual sales transaction regularly reported, but not even close to that for RVs, Boats, and Classic Cars.  Buyers need to forget their car-buyer experience when RV shopping - there is very little in common.

Agreed, but we are not talking autos here.  We are discussing RV's which is why I mentioned the NADA being useless.

Mike

Ronnie,, Do you realize this M/H is 23 years old?? I thought mine was long in the tooth at 20, but I've owned it for almost 10 and it is in top shape because I demand it.. How many owners has this coach had??.>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom