rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Propane still not working, call propane service place or a camper service?  (Read 800 times)

tanglemoose

• ---
Still no luck with our propane issue.... we are in St. George Utah.. our unique problem is our stove burners won't light unless we kick on furnace. This am that is ok, 41 degrees. However, my fridge won't stay lit either unless furnace is on...  have messed for three  days with it..... need my fridge on...  hot water tank is also the same..... ugh ugh...

Everything was fine when put in storage last fall.... and worked fine for our 950 mile trip down here but we were on hookups now we are trying to use propane and nothing is working... would regulator do this????
. We have full bottles now, had to fill one... so we are stumped.... who to call????

Thanks...
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
New 2017 TT Keystone Cougar  Same model... but NEW Features!
2015 Keystone Cougar 1/2 Ton Series, 21rbswe, 26'
2013 Toyota Tundra
Living in Cold Montana Country.....

kdbgoat

• ---
When you try to light the stove with the furnace off, do you smell propane? Does air come out forcefully? Try lighting the stove with an extended reach lighter like what you would use for lighting a campfire. Just barely turn the knob to get gas flow to the burner. Does the burner light? Does it come out hard enough to blow out the lighter? Does it light, but gets real large flame, then goes out if you open the knob slowly? What I'm wondering is if your regulator is putting out too much pressure. Thinking maybe when the furnace runs, it uses enough propane that the system pressure drops, allowing everything else to work correctly.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

donn

• ---
Sounds like you need someone qualified and certified to pressure test and repair your system.  First try to find a gas specalist to do it.

catblaster

• ---
  If I might take a "SWAG" at it the first thing that comes to mind is the regulator is not opening under low volume requirement but the furnace asks for so much more volume that it opens to provide enough fuel and by doing so allows fuel to go to the other appliances. Possibly due to the cold or just an old or defective regulator, also might check the atmospheric vent to see if mud dobber has plugged it up, also could block the atmospheric side of regulator and keep it closed until furnace requirements open it . Mud dobber or wasp plugging hole is my best guess.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
Probably cheaper to  just replace the regulator very little else is common to all those problems.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

si camper

• ---
  I had a problem once where the gas flow was enough to keep the pilot lights lit but no more.  Ended up being one of the in-line check valves on the gas line and one of the last ones I checked. There's one on the pig tail connection at each tank and If I remember correctly there is one for each feeder line at the regulator and one at the regulator exit line.

This is the check valve I'm referring to.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59954-Propane-Fitting-Inverted/dp/B01E61IK00/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520085452&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=lp+checkvalve
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 07:59:05 AM by si camper »
Steve & Kim
2015 Sanibel Traveler 33RS
2011 F350 Lariat Diesel Crew Cab
Southern Illinois

kdbgoat

• ---
OP hasn't been back for at least a day now.

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Old Racer

• ---
I know there is a difference in propane intended for warm areas and very cold areas.  Could Summer propane mix in a winter area cause this problem?

keymastr

• ---
Yes, could be summer mix. Would have thought it would flow better at 40 degrees though. I would change the regulator first and if nothing else you will have a spare. Still far cheaper than calling a service person.

If you drive it to a large propane dealer they may have a person who can help you troubleshoot it.

tanglemoose

• ---
Hello, couldn't get online.... to respond.... three days later and still a mess...
1. There is no gas coming out if you try to light a burner... zero
Will only light when furnace on.. and only stays lit for a short time
2. Furnace works but coughs spits and this am shot out horrible noise like gun shot, not going to try again.
3. Water heater lit two days ago, shutters and makes noise but lit.... but then it goes out after 10 min.
4. I quit trying fridge, it set off reset button and would not work with generator... until we learned about reset button....

So moved to electric site... DID FILL BOTH TANKS, TEMPS 50S HERE

MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION. A OR B

A MOBILE PROPANE GUY CAN COME OUT MONDAY.  OR

WE CAN TAKE TO AITHORIZED KEYSTONE RV REPAIR ON WEDNESDAY, IF REGULATOR UNDER WARRANTY IT IS A 2017...

Guess... we are not sure which to do... with appliances running so hard, should we have rv food and check... or propane can't hurt them....thx everyone
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
New 2017 TT Keystone Cougar  Same model... but NEW Features!
2015 Keystone Cougar 1/2 Ton Series, 21rbswe, 26'
2013 Toyota Tundra
Living in Cold Montana Country.....

Back2PA

• Global Moderator
  • ---
Have you tried opening your bleeder valve(s) to make sure the tank(s) weren't overfilled?
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
2011 F-250 Super Duty LB 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

kdbgoat

• ---
A or B would have to be your own call. Propane systems are pretty standard stuff, and a propane tech should be able to figure it out. Regulator will probably be about $50 depending on tech's markup.

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

catblaster

• ---
It's under warranty !! let them fix it, if they screw it up and it burns down then it is on them, you or a service tech screws up or even works on it to where they can notice that you did then the warranty dept will make you responsible.....since you said it is under warranty that makes it an easy call!
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

kdbgoat

• ---
Have to agree with Will. It is a new rig, better go with the dealership.

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

catblaster

• ---
  Working with gas is a little different than many other things insofar as the liability has shown to exceed the time limits of other work.  Back when I was an inspector we were taught in continuing ed classes about a case in Miami where a contractor was successfully sued 20 yrs later for an improper installation that resulted in a death. If I remember he used cast Iron fittings instead of malleable fittings which broke. 
   I know this has nothing to do with the OPs problem but thought I would throw in a nugget.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

_Rusty_

• ---

1. There is no gas coming out if you try to light a burner... zero
Will only light when furnace on.. and only stays lit for a short time
2. Furnace works but coughs spits and this am shot out horrible noise like gun shot, not going to try again.
3. Water heater lit two days ago, shutters and makes noise but lit.... but then it goes out after 10 min.
4. I quit trying fridge, it set off reset button and would not work with generator... until we learned about reset button....

Just a thought for this, we have had plugged regulators and meters here (500,000 cu.ft./day useage) that act just like a leaky garden hose valve.  If your nozzle is off, and the house bib is leaking a bit eventually the hose gets up to house pressure.  Then when you open the nozzle you get a squirt but no more.  On our big furnace we saw the same response, the gas meter shows 25 lbs. pressure until we light up then down to zero.

It sounds the same as above, try to light, it burns for a few minutes and then goes out.  Warranty Service Required!
bill & ilean
2004 Tiffen Allegro Bay 37db
Workhorse 8.1/Allison 1000
Near Punxsutawney, PA
(for now)