Building a sofa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

when we bought this older motorhome, we purchased a inexpensive (300.00) jack knife sofa at 77" long. It was always to tight up to the drivers seat which made turning the drivers seat very hard to turn around for seating let alone side ways to make it easier to get in, it was very uncomfortable sitting or laying on it due to the cheap quality. We looked around for something near 60" long but, didn't find anything we liked, don't like the synthetic leather looking material that is so popular now days. I tossed the jackknife one out the door and had a nice lady that does high end upholstery work, who made our dinette cushions and reupholstered the chair that's by the entry door . Now it time to make the base of this thing that will incorporate two drawers underneath for blankets and linens. The issue I am having is deciding on using the curved wood spring slats or the zig zag furniture springs. I am wondering if any of you have built a similar project using either of these that I have mentioned. The cushions are 7 1/2" thick so there's plenty of cushion but still needs some spring action to feel like a real sofa. Let me know your experiences. Check out the two links for the 2 types:

https://www.google.com/search?q=zig+zag+furniture+springs&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJlY6w287ZAhUIyoMKHeoJDbYQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1366&bih=637#imgrc=xoPdfg4zP9grFM:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60160217/

Dean,  I am suffering from the same bad couch/bed.  The material is not that good.  The sofa is not comfortable.  Mine in 69 inches.  We are going this sunday to look for something that will fit in regular furniture stores.  Otherwise, I will be atempting to build/rebuilt or do something with this bad sofa/bed.  I will be following this.  Also, pls keep us updated.

Thanks, Bob

here's the cushions that were made for  us, I don't know how to shrink to the allowable file size or do this without a link, sorry. 

Haven't got too far on the sofa other than cutting up the face frame material but, I did make a new Corian top for the bath and put in a vessel sink only, because I was very limited in the sink size with a 16" deep top. The kitchen I made last year. Getting anxious to getting the new floor, dinette booth and sofa in. If anyone can post these pics the real way, be my guest, not too good at that

retusn said:
Dean,  I am suffering from the same bad couch/bed.  The material is not that good.  The sofa is not comfortable.  Mine in 69 inches.  We are going this sunday to look for something that will fit in regular furniture stores.  Otherwise, I will be atempting to build/rebuilt or do something with this bad sofa/bed.  I will be following this.  Also, pls keep us updated.

Thanks, Bob

Bob, I have a separate post in this forum on exactly the same issue.  My door is a bit under 24" so need something 68" long but will come apart enough to get through the door.  Really hoping to find a reclining love seat.  Our sofa bed is miserable to lounge on to watch tv.  Please reply to my post in the other thread of this one regarding what you find.  One other fella put a Lazyboy recliner love seat in his unit but he has been on in ages to ask him about it. 

I have started to make a little headway on the sofa, decided not to make it a sleeper. Two good size drawers on the bottom, I guess my grandson will have to sleep in the dinette booth conversion. The bed slats from Ikea work just fine giving a decent amount of spring.

nice, and interesting timing for me....

I've been thinking for some time about swapping our air mattress sleeper sofa out for a jacknife or futon, so it's easier to fold out for kids to sleep on.  Our fake vinyl is coming apart so I either need to replace it or re-upholster it.  Never considered building one....hmmmm....

and
for the last couple weeks I've been toying with the idea of replacing or rebuilding the bench that goes across the stern of my runabout boat.  It's essentially a sofa and the wood base is shot.  Been looking at pontoon boat furniture but nothing exactly the right size...  don't really want to build one, but have been thinking about it...

looking forward to seeing more of your build!

Nice work Deano, I just have the patience to work with wood. Now if I could weld one up our of stainless or aluminum thats a different story but wood is just beyond my skill set.

catblaster said:
Nice work Deano, I just have the patience to work with wood. Now if I could weld one up our of stainless or aluminum thats a different story but wood is just beyond my skill set.
Ah but, wood is forgiving can be cut and sanded easily. If you can fabricate out of steel you can do the same with wood :)

stained up and, ready for several coats of lacquer, then on to the drawer boxes

Attachments

• IMG_20180510_4582.jpg
    IMG_20180510_4582.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 75
getting to work on the dinette booth benches. One has to be scribed to the walls because of 3/8" out of plumb. The other side should be straight forward, I don't know if you can tell but, the back of it (clamped up one) is quarter sawn red oak, other than quarter sawn white oak, it's one of my favorite species of wood.

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_20190.jpg
    IMG_20180521_20190.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20180521_13666.jpg
    IMG_20180521_13666.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 50
was able to get some work done tonight, did a dry fit making sure the cushions fit. This getting older stuff has me second guessing if my measurements were correct.They were :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_20180523_52334.jpg
    IMG_20180523_52334.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20180523_18971.jpg
    IMG_20180523_18971.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 38
Yah, as I age, multiple measurements are a must.

You do nice work, you should be proud.

That is some attractive q/s oak!  Do you source it locally?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom