OEM recommended tire pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msw3113

On my truck I cannot find a Certification/Tire label as described in this forum and in the owner's manual.  I find a "Vehicle Emission Control" Information sticker, an "Incomplete Vehicle Manufactured by GM" sticker with GVWR and GAWR information. In the glovebox I find a "Service Parts Identification Information" sticker with about 97 3-digit or 3-letter designations. 

But no tire information, anywhere.

The truck came to me with new Michelin LT 235-80 R17 tires which I'm happy with.  Still I'd like to know what Chevrolet recommended for tire pressure.

Thanks for any guidance.

Hah!  Before someone else says it.  Get it weighed.  (Front & back is probably good enough but someone will probably tell you that you absolutely have to get all four corners weighed independently.)

Then use the weight tables for the specific tires.

I have a 2011 3/4 ton and the tires are 265-70/R18E. The sticker is on the drivers door just below the lock mechanism.  Max tire pressure is 80 PSI.  Not sure if your 1 ton would have the same size tires. 

I find a "Vehicle Emission Control" Information sticker, an "Incomplete Vehicle Manufactured by GM" sticker with GVWR and GAWR information.

Apparently you do not have a vanilla Chevy truck - that sticker appears only on chassis-cabs sold to another company that builds/installs the body and sells the finished vehicle. It probably has a specialized body package of some sort.  It is the responsibility of that other company to make the tire pressure recommendation and they should have applied the sticker required by federal law. They may have used an alternate location, though. The bottom line is that Chevy makes no recommendation because they don't know the finished vehicle configuration and weight. So the "OEM recommendation" you want has to come from the final vehicle manufacturer, whoever that may have been.

Typically the recommended psi will assume a fully loaded truck, i.e. each axle carrying its max rated load. That assures enough tire psi for the worst case loading.  You can use the axle GAWRs to estimate the tire load (single or dual) and look that weight up in the Michelin Load Inflation tables. Weighing the actual vehicle lets you optimize for the actual load, but the manufacturer uses GAWR/GVWR because they have no idea how much you will actually load onto the truck.

You can find the inflation data for the Michelin 235/80R17 in their Truck Tire Data Book under Truck Tire - 17" wheels.  See https://www.michelintruck.com/assets/pdf/Truck_Tire_Data_Book_Sept2011.pdf

msw3113 said:
On my truck I cannot find a Certification/Tire label as described in this forum and in the owner's manual.  I find a "Vehicle Emission Control" Information sticker, an "Incomplete Vehicle Manufactured by GM" sticker with GVWR and GAWR information. In the glovebox I find a "Service Parts Identification Information" sticker with about 97 3-digit or 3-letter designations. 

But no tire information, anywhere.

The truck came to me with new Michelin LT 235-80 R17 tires which I'm happy with.  Still I'd like to know what Chevrolet recommended for tire pressure.

Thanks for any guidance.

Were you the first owner of the truck? If so, see the selling dealer. It's against the law to make a first time sale without a vehicle certification label.

Being owner #2, I'm on my own.

However the suggestions and info from those who have responded will get me the proper tire pressure figures to shoot for.  And I'll feel more secure having the knowledge.

Thank you everyone.  Much obliged.

Here is an excerpt from vehicle certification. Not many are familiar with it because, like all government standards, other sections may need to be researched for the full story.

Requirements for manufacturers of motor vehicles.

(a) Each manufacturer of motor vehicles (except vehicles manufactured in two or more stages) shall affix to each vehicle a label, of the type and in the manner described below, containing the statements specified in paragraph (g) of this section

(b) The label shall be riveted or permanently affixed in such a manner that it cannot be removed without destroying or defacing it.

(c) Except for trailers and motorcycles, the label shall be affixed to either the hinge pillar, door-latch post, or the door edge that meets the door-latch post, next to the driver's seating position, or if none of these locations is practicable, to the left side of the instrument panel. If that location is also not practicable, the label shall be affixed to the inward-facing surface of the door next to the driver's seating position. If none of the preceding locations is practicable, notification of that fact, together with drawings or photographs showing a suggested alternate location in the same general area, shall be submitted for approval to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C. 20590. The location of the label shall be such that it is easily readable without moving any part of the vehicle except an outer door.

(d) The label for trailers shall be affixed to a location on the forward half of the left side, such that it is easily readable from outside the vehicle without moving any part of the vehicle

(e) The label for motorcycles shall be affixed to a permanent member of the vehicle as close as is practicable to the intersection of the steering post with the handle bars, in a location such that it is easily readable without moving any part of the vehicle except the steering system.

(f) The lettering on the label shall be of a color that contrasts with the background of the label.

(g) The label shall contain the following statements, in the English language, lettered in block capitals and numerals not less than three thirty-seconds of an inch high, in the order shown:

(1) Name of manufacturer: Except as provided in paragraphs (g)(1)(i), (ii) and (iii) of this section, the full corporate or individual name of the actual assembler of the vehicle shall be spelled out, except that such abbreviations as ?Co.? or ?Inc.? and their foreign equivalents, and the first and middle initials of individuals, may be used. The name of the manufacturer shall be preceded by the words ?Manufactured By? or ?Mfd By.? In the case of imported vehicles to which the label required by this section is affixed by the Registered Importer, the name of the Registered Importer shall also be placed on the label in the manner described in this paragraph, directly below the name of the actual assembler.

(i) If a vehicle is assembled by a corporation that is controlled by another corporation that assumes responsibility for conformity with the standards, the name of the controlling corporation may be used.

(ii) If a vehicle is fabricated and delivered in complete but unassembled form, such that it is designed to be assembled without special machinery or tools, the fabricator of the vehicle may affix the label and name itself as the manufacturer for the purposes of this section.

(iii) If a trailer is sold by a person who is not its manufacturer, but who is engaged in the manufacture of trailers and assumes legal responsibility for all duties and liabilities imposed by the Act with respect to that trailer, the name of that person may appear on the label as the manufacturer. In such a case the name shall be preceded by the words ?Responsible Manufacturer? or ?Resp Mfr.?

(2) Month and year of manufacture: This shall be the time during which work was completed at the place of main assembly of the vehicle. It may be spelled out, as ?June 2000?, or expressed in numerals, as ?6/00?.

(3) ?Gross Vehicle Weight Rating? or ?GVWR? followed by the appropriate value in pounds, which shall not be less than the sum of the unloaded vehicle weight, rated cargo load, and 150 pounds times the number of the vehicle's designated seating positions. However, for school buses the minimum occupant weight allowance shall be 120 pounds per passenger and 150 pounds for the driver.

(4) ?Gross Axle Weight Rating? or ?GAWR,? followed by the appropriate value in pounds, for each axle, identified in order from front to rear (e.g., front, first intermediate, second intermediate, rear). The ratings for any consecutive axles having identical gross axle weight ratings when equipped with tires having the same tire size designation may, at the option of the manufacturer, be stated as a single value, with the label indicating to which axles the ratings apply.

Finally visited local CAT scale and weighed the truck. 

Front axle = 4620 lb, rear axle = 3800 lb. 

If I'm reading it correctly, the Michelin table Gary graciously provided indicates front tire pressure should be 55 lbs, rear should be 35 lbs.

This is my first experience with a dually but to me 35 lbs seems rather low, even with an empty truck.

I just don't want to harm the tires.

35 psi is the minimum safe inflation for those tires and supports a total dual axle load of  6280 lbs. You could go 5 or 10 psi higher if you like, at the cost of a slightly rougher ride and a loss of some traction.

Vehicle sold to a conversion company. No tire info would be displayed due to changes of GVW after conversion.
With vehicle weighed, that info with maybe some additional info from the tire manufacturer, could add up to what tire pressure would be recommended. Some experimentation is expected. What is imprinted on the sidewall of the tire is only min/max psi recommended by the manufacturer of the tire. Not what the tire psi recommendation for the vehicle is. 

Back
Top Bottom