Truck's OEM TPMS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msw3113

The owner's manual that came with my truck talks in some detail about its TPMS system.  However I don't see a 'low tire pressure' light on the instrument cluster when I power up, and the DIC doesn't seem to have a readout for current pressures.

Short of a potentially costly (or embarrassing) trip to the dealer or bleeding the air out of one tire, is there a way to confirm that the truck indeed has a TPMS system?

Newcomer grateful for any guidance.

Often the manual covers many vehicles and not all vehicles have all the various options described . The dealer can likely find the the real answer by looking up your VIN number and/or pulling a build sheet. Not all TPMS systems show individual tire pressures on each tire either, some just have symbol on the lamp displays and it is necessary to measure each tire to find which one is low. (My 2010  Grand  Caravan was like that (frustrating!!!)). No embarrassment involved, the dealers are there to answer your questions.

My daughters Kia Rio is like that - you only get a low pressure warning when it happens, and no way to view tire pressures before that. Or identify which tire is low when it happens. Hers just lights up the little DIC screen (in red!).

You can be sure the truck has one - a low tire pressure warning system is federally mandated for safety. It just may not have all the capabilities you are expecting. The dash will have an icon that looks like a fat "U" with an exclamation point - it should be visible during the dash test that occurs when you turn the ignition on. See the Vehicle Symbol Chart in the Introduction section of your owner manual for an image of each icon and its purpose or the TPMS section of the manual.  That icon will light up when a tire goes low (typically 15% under recommended pressure). There may or may not be additional info available when the low pressure icon is lit. My guess is that the DIC will show some sort of warning text, but maybe not much else.

Your owner manual has a section titled Warning Lights, Gauges and Indicators. In that section is an item called Tire Pressure Light and it contains a brief explanation of the alarm function and cross-references DIC messages that may be available on some models, depending on the truck options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom