Where to stay near New York City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I have decided to spend the fourth of July week in New York City. I am not going to be taking my RV, I will be driving by car and staying in hotels. I have spent very little time in NYC so I am looking for recommendations on where I can stay outside of NYC and be able to hop on a bus, a train or a water taxi to get me into NYC. I will spend the daytime exploring NYC and then return to the motel in the evening. I don't want to be staying in town, outside of town in the southern area like New Jersey since I am coming up from Florida. Where is a good spot to stay that is close to public transportation?

Don't know how good it is for hotels, but one of my nephews lives in Red Bank, NJ, and hops over to NYC for a day almost at whim.  Regular commuter train service, I think.    He prefers Philadelphia, though.  ;)

When our daughter attended NYU we would stay in Hoboken NJ and use train into penn station from there.  A lot of the commuter stuff transfers there from the NJ lines into NYC. That was in the early 90's so I really cannot say what it is like today.  also stayed in Washington square area, you don't get much for your hotel bucks in NYC (my opinion) but you do what you have to.

Love your photo's BTW.  Have fun in the Big Apple!

Look at the hotels on the waterfront of Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken.  They are all new.  IMHO you get your best bang for your buck in the area.  The views of the city at night are spectacular.  There is a park up on the Ridge that has amazing views of the city which I'm sure you will capture well with your camera.  The water taxis are fun.

Tom, A couple of years ago we stayed at Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City. from there we walked to the Grove st Path Station (on Columbus Dr). The Path subway has to lines: one goes to the World Trade Center (also near wall St) and the other ends at  about 34th St and Sixth, From there you can either jump on the NYC Subway or walk. We walked for there to Time Square (discount theater tickets) and even to Central park.

Right at the Grove St Path station is a Residence Inn by Marriott (about $160). Near the next stop further west, Journal Square, there is a Ramada (I cannot tell you about the neighbor near Journal Sq).
Also from the Marriott you can walk south the Liberty Harbor and catch the ferry to Wall Street or go a few blocks eat and catch a short ferry to Liberty Park and from there you get the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

You can probably stay cheaper further out and take a train, but the train schedules are limited and I think more expensive than the subway. But you should check parking at the Marriott as it may cost. there is another cheaper hotel (other than the Ramada) near the Journal st Station. There are also hotels in jersey City near the Hudson. There is also a line of the Path that ends in Hoboken. Look up the Path map and check hotels hear the Path [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]stations.[/font]

All by years for traveling to NYC I hated the city, but on this trip I really enjoyed the city and going to a few plays. At the Path station you can buy a refillable card that is good on the Path and NYC subways.

Have fun.

We have stayed in NJ and taken the train into Penn Station and also gotten deals on Groupon and stayed in Times Square, parked at the train station at Princeton Junction. Cheap parking and cheap train. Takes you right into Penn Station which is about 2 blocks from Times Square.

SeilerBird said:
Well if I were taking my RV that is where I would be staying. But my Hyundai won't pull a 33 foot fiver so I am forced to stay in motels.
If you ask the RV dealer he will tell you that the Hyundai can pull it. ;)

I got the sad news today that NY is closed to people visiting from Florida unless they do a 14 day quarantine. Since it is one week till my plane would be leaving I cannot go. I had a reservation at a hotel and I had no trouble cancelling the reservation. My plane fare was paid in full last year and it was a no refund/no exchanges ticket however United issued me a pass that I can use in the next year so I am not losing any money. When I realized that I could not wander around in NYC during a pandemic I decided I would still go to NYC and spend the entire week in central park photographing the birds. Looks like I will try again next year.

Tom, that's what you get for you and all your buddies partying on the beach and at the bars during Memorial Day week end.  ;)

Ed

OBX said:
Look at the hotels on the waterfront of Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken.  They are all new.  IMHO you get your best bang for your buck in the area.  The views of the city at night are spectacular.  There is a park up on the Ridge that has amazing views of the city which I'm sure you will capture well with your camera.  The water taxis are fun.

I agree with these towns, so easy to get into NYC.  It has been years since I lived and traveled in the NYC area so I am not familiar with what hotels are available but it sounds like you will have plenty of options.

SeilerBird said:
I got the sad news today that NY is closed to people visiting from Florida unless they do a 14 day quarantine. Since it is one week till my plane would be leaving I cannot go. I had a reservation at a hotel and I had no trouble cancelling the reservation. My plane fare was paid in full last year and it was a no refund/no exchanges ticket however United issued me a pass that I can use in the next year so I am not losing any money. When I realized that I could not wander around in NYC during a pandemic I decided I would still go to NYC and spend the entire week in central park photographing the birds. Looks like I will try again next year.

Ah yes...The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

As I write this I should have been aboard a Princess Lines ship sailing out of San Francisco to Alaska. Had a $600 deposit but cancelled way back when Covid hit. They said they would refund my deposit but I have my doubts.  I think the cruise lines are in deep water so to speak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom