Map or Site for States' Seasonal Bad Weather Conditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliver quibble

I have the opportunity to travel the US for the next few years in a Motorhome.

Each year I plan on leaving FL in March or April and returning in November.

How do I determine which months, states or specific areas in a state, have their bad/high risk weather season? This information could help me to be extra alert or possibly avoid traveling to a particular destination.

An example is:  Sept to Nov is typically Hurricane Season for the East Coast in states like VA, NC, SC, and  FL. While I wouldn't avoid those states during those months, but  I may stay more inland.

I have heard AL has a tornado season, as does OK and Kansas. Does anyone have those times of the year or the region?
What the months to be extra cautious?

Is there a site to discover this information? Or is there  a way to pose my question at the Weather Channel?

Am I making my quest understood?

I don't want to drive to an area and EVERYONE tell me "well you should have known this was the time we get floods (tornados).

I know weather is becoming more unpredictable everywhere, but I at least want to know how to avoid the "knowns" or the "high risk" months for states or the part of the state to avoid.

thanks
Oliver

As Tom said... I think the best bet is to just pay attention to the weather reports for your area and the area you're heading into, and be thankful that your RV has wheels so you can move away if necessary. About the only guideline we've come up with, is to stay south in the winter and north in the summer.  ;)

Have a look at:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1

I am not sure where you are from, but one thing many European visitors to the US fail to comprehend is the scale of the United states.  To put this in perspective the driving distance from Seattle Washington to Orlando, Florida is almost identical to the driving distance from London England to Baghdad Iraq.  Of course even there we are not talking corner to corner of the US, it is still another 400 miles from Orlando to Key West, and another hundred miles from Seattle to the Canadian boarder.

As to major weather patterns in the US, my suggestion is to chase the pleasant weather, vs trying to avoid the bad weather.  The reason to avoid the south east in the summer is not so much hurricanes, but the oppressive humid heat.  As to Hurricanes, Hurricane season actually runs from June - December, even then something like 20% of hurricanes occur outside hurricane season, it just happens to peak in September.  Also as long as you are not in Florida, avoiding hurricanes is relatively easy, since one usually has several days worth of warning that one is on the way.  Even then there are many years with no major hurricanes hitting the US.

Tornado alley is another concern, it is not just Kansas and Alabama, but the whole central portion of the US, unfortunately again the season is long, and much of it is mixed in with pleasant weather.  The massive city flattening tornadoes tend to be in the less densely populated parts of the country ranging from north Texas through Nebraska.  The tornadoes in Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama tend to be smaller more pinpoint destruction types.  The key here is to seek shelter if in an RV, and have weather alert apps on your phone, etc.  Almost all RV parks in the prime parts of tornado alley will have designated tornado shelter buildings on site, often concrete block restroom buildings.

As I said before, most people chase the pleasant weather, Florida is nice year around, much the same can be said for parts of all the southern most states, this can certainly be said for March - November.  Though there is a chance of shoulder season winter weather.  As one goes north, and particularly into the mountain states, it stays colder longer into the spring and summer.  There are many mountain passes in Wyoming, and Montana that don't open until June.  Snowfall can be seen in some of these areas any time of the year.  I have driven over a pass in Washington state on the last day of July and seen moderate snow fall.

Your best source of that kind of info is likely NOAA (The National Oceanographic and atmospheric administration) while it lasts.  Alas a lot of info they used to publish on the web has been taken down already but the info you are looking for should still be there.

Just google NOAA and you will find it. 

I will say this.  I have seen all sorts of "Hazard" maps.  and there is no place on earth 100% safe.  And darn few under the earth as well.. I used to live on an earthquake fault line, rare it faulted, but I was born on one that is.. More active

The result was when one mini-quake hit (This is the kind that breaks a few teacups but not many windows) everybody in the office save me was "What was that".. Me I had the answer "Earthquake" and as it turns out.. I was right. (Born in California so I know quakes).

Dixie Alley cranks up in late March, peaking through April and tapering off through May, and peak locations are Mississippi, Alabama and northwest Georgia. I'm going to Montgomery on June 1 this year and avoid the excitement. The classic Tornado Alley starts about a month later. Note that a big danger during tornado season is huge hail.

As for hurricanes you have lots of warning. Evacuate before the TV guy mentions the word and you'll be fine.

Get a decent weather radio and listen to it.

I have found this site helpful....living on the fringes of Tornado Alley and having an F5 now and then makes me more aware.  An F5 hit about 40 miles from me in 2008 (EF5 Parkersburg, IA).  You don't want to be anywhere except a basement when one of these hits!

http://www.ustornadoes.com/2016/04/06/annual-and-monthly-tornado-averages-across-the-united-states/

Keep in mind this is just risk based on past history.

Note: and I'm not talking about your RV basement  ;)

Go to the Weather Channel.  If Jim Cantore is in the studio you are fine.  If he is where you want to go then you better wait.  If he is where you are now you better brake camp fast and get out of dodge.

OBX said:
Go to the Weather Channel.  If Jim Cantore is in the studio you are fine.  If he is where you want to go then you better wait.  If he is where you are now you better brake camp fast and get out of dodge.
VERY FUNNY!  VERY TRUE!! 
He was here in Paducah KY for our ice storm in 2009.

It seems the tornado season is usually any time within 24 hours of a sunrise.  We had tornados in the area a week ago.

very good point I think about chasing the GOOD weather.  Much better way to look at it.

I live in FL and have lived most my life in the SE US.  If I could chase the good weather, i would
in the summer head to the mountains of North Carolina, VA, or up into New England, or up through Wisconsin and that area....
  or I don't have much experience but I'd suppose the Mountains out west would be nice too.  I know our summer trip out to the Grand Canyon, and through Northern AZ, Northern NM, southern CO was pleasant..... but I'd guess further north into CO, ID etc...would be very nice for summer.

Winter would find me in FL and the SE states, or exploring the desert South West

I just don't have enough experience to know when I'd go to explore the Pacific Coast states.

Not so much to identify severe weather, but to get a feel for generally the temperature and such for a given time frame I've found the search engine
https://www.wolframalpha.com/
is very good for looking at historic weather, graphs showing temperature trends....
just search for "Chicago, IL Weather" to look at charts for current and past weather in Chicago

You can check the Department of Transportation sites for various states for current road conditions. This is the site for the state of Washington:
http://www.wsdot.com/Traffic/passes/default.aspx

I believe most states have a similar site. Google DOT for the state(s) you are interested in.

Back
Top Bottom