Overnight stays and places to see on route from Orlando to Montana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julie Murray

Hi,
We are travelling in May - July to Montana/Wyoming we are wanting to know of best places to stop on route for overnight stays or places of interest. We are travelling up through Kentucky then across country. Would love to hear of any feedback from RVers who have made this trip.
We have done a lot of travelling in our previous motorhome (Fleetwood flair 30ft gas) from Florida to Arizona, Dallas, Memphis and many more. Our time has come to do the place of our dreams Montana before we sell our lovely Fleetwood Discovery which we will miss.
Regards
Julie & Barry (UK)
Fleetwood Discovery 38ft

My favorite spot would be the Grand Tetons National Park. The Travel Channel did a special on the best National Parks in North America to view wildlife and GT won. Every night Oxbow Bend turns into a zoo without bars. Colter Bay campground is rarely full.

This really depends on your route, and what part of Montana you are heading to.  There is a great expanse of nothingness on the strip of land from Denver to about Kansas City, which includes ND, SD, NE, KS, OK and part of Texas.  Sure there are exceptions, and a few points of interest in these states, however much of it is miles and miles of mostly the same thing, much of it farm land sprinkled with agro-industrial towns. 

This is not to say that these places are unpleasant, as there seem to be many nice small towns and a few medium size cities, and somewhat scenic land along with way.  Instead it is all the sameness of the region.  If one looks carefully they will note differences, the small towns in Nebraska seems to be more industrial than much of Kansas, eastern Colorado and eastern Wyoming are much more desolate.  Still traveling through this region one will likely be surprised by it not matching the stereotypical imagery, for example whoever said Kansas was flat must have came from a mountain state, as much of Kansas is filled with slow rolling hills, Nebraska is more than just farming, there is also a lot of light to medium manufacturing there.

p.s. you may want to look at Oregon trail historic points, as your route will likely parallel it from KS to WY.

Thank you for your reply, the Grand Tetons is on our "to do list" and The Glaciers, looking forward to our trip.

Thank you for your reply we will check out the Oregon trail, we like anything to do with Native American will we see anything like that on route ?

If doing Glacier National Park, be aware they don't allow RV's on the road that crosses the park east to west.  I agree the Grand Tetons are a must see, anywhere other than next door to Yellowstone they would be an attraction in themselves, though the accessible area there is minimal, and none of the roads go into the mountains, the reason for this is clear when one gets there as the raise so steeply out of the valley that is it almost like driving up to a wall.  When it comes to Wyoming, it is the most scenic in the northwest and leas scenic in the south east and south west.  Though there are also wide bands desolate area in the middle the drive from Rawlins to Dubois is an example, by contrast the Wind River canyon drive up to Thermopolis rivals anything in Yellowstone...

Yes, there is a reason everything is judged against Yellowstone, it has so many spectacular diverse vistas, to the point where one gets numbed to the awesomeness of them.

p.s. your route will likely take you through a number of indian reservations, some of which offer camping opportunities, though little I have seen in the way of cultural tourism.

You can find Native American attractions all over the western US. You just have to look for them. There is an exceptional Native American museum within walking distance of the Colter Bay campground at the Grand Tetons. Glacier National Park is also beautiful and well worth a visit.

Going to tell you a bit about Glacier National Park. Just so you know my perspective ... we live less than half an hour from Glacier National Park.  Yes, we are spoiled and, having a Golden Senior Pass, we sometimes run up there on a whim for an after dinner drive. Yes, in my opinion (with my bias) it is truly a bucket-list place to visit. Less commercial than Yosemite and more manageable and less crowded than Yellowstone but with every bit as much grandeur.

So, the most important thing to know about GNP is that the E/W route over Logan Pass (where the, arguably, 'best' visitor center is) often is open less than three months a year and, with some frequency, does not open until after Independence Day.  Given the record breaking snow we have received this winter, I expect this may be one of those years.  It simply takes weeks, once they are able to even begin,  to get the narrow, Going to the Sun Road cleared.

Second, yes, there are very strict vehicular length restrictions for Going to the Sun Road. It is a narrow and spectacular two lane (built in the thirties) but filled with very distracted tourists. No RV's allowed and, though I drove our F250 up there a few times, I do not do that any more as I found it uncomfortably, too big.  But, not to worry, even if you do not have a small toad. The best way to see GNP on the grand scale (by that I mean an overview excluding weeks of hiking) is by way of the red bus tours. http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours. If you choose to ride these restored and fun old buses (that come equipped with fun-loving, microphone equipped, salty drivers and tour announcers, there is RV parking available (for the day) just outside the visitor center and Red Bus pick-up spot which is near the west entrance (Apgar Village).

Third, RV parking, especially for Class A's, can be quite limited on the west side.  The only choice is Apgar Campground (no reservations) and it fills quickly.  Get's harder and harder every summer. Locals call it combat camping.  With our 40' Class A, we don't even try anymore until after kids go back to school.  Your 38' will fit but the number of spaces is limited. Best option is midweek arrival. No hook-ups of any kind on the west side (not sure about east side). Generator hours at Apgar are 8-10, 12-2 and 5-7 (I think). Camping choices (in the park) are far greater on the east side.  There is one campsite over there that (I hear) takes reservations. If you want to stay on the west side, there is a KOA and a San Suz Ed private RV park off site but near the west  entrance. I've never tried either. Then there are several other private RV parks within half hour of West Entrance.  Search Columbia Falls RV Parks ....

If I get some time later today, I will add some comments regarding routes and places to stay along the way as we have made the trip from here to VA many times.

If I can be of help in researching or answering questions for you, speak up!

In Great Falls, Montana the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center to very well done.  It's very similar to the Oregon Trail Museum in Baker.  http://www.visitmt.com/listings/general/museum/lewis-and-clark-national-historic-trail-interpretive-center.html 

Also in Great Falls is the Charles Russell museum displaying his famous western paintings.  https://cmrussell.org/

We really appreciate all your feedback, we have 10 weeks before we make this amazing journey and carnt wait to see these amazing places.
Hi Sheila
In Kentucky we plan to visit Murray which is our surname must then visit the Jim Beam distillery in Baldstown we have a park booked for 2 nights The Big Lick state park, if you know of any other interesting places in Kentucky please let us know.
Which would be the most interesting route after Kentucky heading towards Montana/Wyoming ?

I had to google Big Lick state park, looks like it is in the very northern tip.  Can't offer any thing for that area.

Bardstown is a nice community.  Not sure about the campgrounds but there have been several discussions on the bourbon tours that might give you some ideas there.

The Mammoth Cave area offers a lot of different opportunities.  Different campgrounds in Park City and Cave City.

The National Corvette museum is in Bowling Green.

We're in the Barren River lake area and Bailey's Point campground is our favorite.  It is COE, water/electric but no sewer. 

This is a local to us event June 1-3  http://www.glasgowhighlandgames.com/ Campgrounds usually fill up but we can suggest some boondocking areas

The Land between the lakes area has several COE campgrounds.  Hurricane Creek Campground on Lake Barkley is nice.  Reasonably close to Murray.

If you like non-interstate and parkway roads, US 68 and/or US 68/80 is good from the I-65 area to the west.

Shelia

Mammoth Cave and Corvette Museum would have RV parking

COE campgrounds near Murray would be fairly convenient for driving there; I'm not familiar enough with Murray, other driving through last fall, but have family attending the university so I could find out more if you'd like

Highland Games - the campground at the state park is probably filled and others may be farther away than you'd want to cycle.  You could probably park the rv but most likely it would be out in grassy area

I think most of the bourbon tour may be outside of Louisville, but I'd make sure I didn't get directed into Louisville

If you get started and need help in this area, send me a message if I miss the discussion

Shelia

If you are coming across Montana (rather than a south to north route to Yellowstone) the Little Big Horn Battlefield NP is really interesting (Custer's last stand) and Pompey's Pillar near Billings is worth a quick stop. 

Love all the feedback will be making notes so we have a very fulfilled roadtrip. Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom