Used Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobDob

Thinking of buying a class A in the 60 - 80K range, diesel, either DP or FRED.  This would be primarily for a trip around the U.S. maybe 15000 miles. Is there a posted thread regarding the most dependable brands and things to avoid?  Looks like I can get a low mileage '06 - '08 when I look at RVT.com.  Looking for a smooth trip without hiccups.  Am I dreaming?

There is no such thing as a dependable RV brand. Used RVs are all dependent upon how well it was treated and maintained by the previous owner. You cannot shop for an RV by brand you should shop for condition.

Seller bird is absolutely correct.  No matter what you buy there is going to be a potential for a problem.  Having said that, I would recommend a DP.  With the engine in the rear there is less noise when you are traveling.  If you can, get a good service contract at time of purchase.  This will give you some protection for major problems.

To add to what Seiler said, a reasonably maintained rig will probably be reliable as far as the chassis goes (no guarantees, though), assuming you continue to maintain it, but I doubt you'll ever find one that never has any sort of problem with the house part -- just like a stick and brick house there's often something to be done, even if it's only tightening a screw or three.

In any case continued maintenance, especially preventative maintenance such as oil changes and checking screws for tightness, will help minimize any problems coming up.

But condition and layout (floor plan), as well as features you desire or MUST HAVE, will dictate your shopping much more than brand.

The whole problem with all RVs is they are basically a house being driven and shaken down the road at 65 mph. This will take a toll on any RV no matter who makes it. It takes a lot of care and maintenance to keep an RV is reasonable shape. Unfortunately many RV buyers are already retired and as they get older taking care of an RV becomes less of an activity us old folks want to participate in. We get lazy as we get old (at least I do).

Thanks guys for the good advice. I have a new 5th wheel now and even it takes maintenance. Just thought a motorhome might be more convenient for daily setups but can't afford a new DP.  BTW, Seller, Great portfolio and is that Joe Bonamassa? Hope to catch him in concert this year.
Cheers

RobDob said:
Thanks guys for the good advice. I have a new 5th wheel now and even it takes maintenance. Just thought a motorhome might be more convenient for daily setups but can't afford a new DP.  BTW, Seller, Great portfolio and is that Joe Bonamassa? Hope to catch him in concert this year.
Cheers
Thank you RobDob. Yes it is Joe Bonamessa. I saw him in Las Vegas 10 years ago in a front row seat that cost me $20, and I was allowed to take my DSLR in and use it. I have seen him a few times since then and just this morning I saw that he is playing in Melborne in a few months. $105 for a nose bleed seat. So I guess he is no longer unknown.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom