Black Water Tank Valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cedrick

I have a 2012 Dutchmen Infinity 3740 I recently purchased.  The unit has not been used for a couple of years and today I was out doing some maintenance preparing for the season.  I was testing the dump valves and my handle to my grey water works but the black water handle will only move about an inch.  I don't want to get out and find out I can't dump my black water.  Does anybody have suggestions on where to start searching for the problem?  The cable that actuates the valve appears to have been worked on before with a couple of worm drive clamps to stabilize it to the housing.  My concern is the valve is stuck closed from limited use.  I could fill the black water tank and see if that frees the valve. 

I am open to suggestions.  The unit is fully insulated so finding the valve is the first challenge. 

Thanks,

Cedrick

You only need two or three gallons of hot water to test the valve.  After letting it soak a few minutes, you might as well give it a yank, if it breaks then you will have the pleasure of pulling down the underbelly and replacing it.  The cable operated type are troublesome.

Have you tried silicone spray?
Not WD-40 but silicone.

Another consideration is Camco TST Drain Valve Lube is designed to lubricate plumbing lines while you drive. Coconut oil is added to prevent sticking valves, making equipment last longer. Recommended for use in waste holding tanks, black and grey water systems.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40246-Drain-Valve-Lube/dp/B000EDSSG6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8

Attachments

• Drain-valve-lubricant.jpg
    Drain-valve-lubricant.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 2
I don't know if 2 or 3 gallons of water would do anything. It may though.  Is the valve accessible from under the RV? If it is, I would pull the valve down and see what's going on with it. Putting a little water in the tank may only create a mess if the cable breaks and you have no choice but to remove the valve. Let us know how you make out.

I would replace the valve and see if you can convert it to the solid rod style. Much more dependable. Look it up on youtube.com  Plenty of videos of this repair.

For cable operated stuff there are some devices, you can usually find at Motor Cycle Shops...

This link is an example of them.. I plan on getting one for my cable operated stuff ((Bicycle cables))

Amzon dot com

NOTE this link is only an EXAMPLE.

John From Detroit said:
For cable operated stuff there are some devices, you can usually find at Motor Cycle Shops...

This link is an example of them.. I plan on getting one for my cable operated stuff ((Bicycle cables))

Amzon dot com

NOTE this link is only an EXAMPLE.

I wished I had access to my cable. Both ends are covered by the under belly.

keymastr said:
I would replace the valve and see if you can convert it to the solid rod style. Much more dependable. Look it up on youtube.com  Plenty of videos of this repair.

I did that with one of my gray water valves. The cable was real long and I always had trouble closing the valve all the way. I removed the cable and installed a steel rod for the handle. Went right through the frame.

I plan on doing it someday with the black water valve. It will end up on the curbside of the RV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom