rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Question about age of tires on purchase date.  (Read 635 times)

DanKearney

• ---
  • 2000 Gulf Steam Cavalier 19' Class C
Question about age of tires on purchase date.
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:38:32 PM »
Howdy All,

Getting ready to purchase 4 replacement tires for the Class C.  I have a make and model chosen already and just need to order them at my local dealer.  I intend to tell the dealer that I want a fresh set of rubber, not something that has been sitting in a warehouse for ages. 

The question is, what's a reasonable amount of time?  Should I insist on tires that are no older than X months on the purchase date?  I figure anything that is less than 12 months old should be OK, but I've never purchased motor home tires before.

What age range do other folks insist on?

Cheers,

Dan K.
Black Hawk, Colorado

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
Re: Question about age of tires on purchase date.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 10:56:43 PM »
Typically the desired tire age for an RV is less than 6 months at time of purchase. Since most RV tires need replacing due to the age of the tire instead of the wear it receives, getting a tire that is a year or two old may cut down on the length of time that passes before you are considering another set.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 12:04:46 AM »
My thoughts as well.  I would specify when I order the tires that you will not accept a tire with a date code before  (fill in the blank with 6 months ago).
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:53:48 AM »
I would think that anything older than 6/8 months would be out of the question for me at least. Depending on the brand, a well known brand will have less chance of tires sitting in a warehouse than a unknown brand.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:41:18 AM »
I recently read a post elsewhere where the dealer installed 11 year old tires,,, I believe that dealer may have legal issues as a result. 4-6 months is old enough, more than six ask for a discount on the price. more than 2 years ask for new rubber.. 15 percent per year.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
Howdy All,

Getting ready to purchase 4 replacement tires for the Class C.  I have a make and model chosen already and just need to order them at my local dealer.  I intend to tell the dealer that I want a fresh set of rubber, not something that has been sitting in a warehouse for ages. 

The question is, what's a reasonable amount of time?  Should I insist on tires that are no older than X months on the purchase date?  I figure anything that is less than 12 months old should be OK, but I've never purchased motor home tires before.

What age range do other folks insist on?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan, I requested no older than 3 months but settled for 4 months on 4 and 5 months on the other two.  By coincidence, the two 5 month tires were improperly installed (leaked air to the point where they were ruined when I finally noticed the smoke) and the two replacements I got were 3 months old.  Since 7 years is the typical accepted time for replacement, I don't think I would take any one year old new tires.  Most major tire dealers move stock fast enough that age is not a problem.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 16 mos

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 09:58:40 AM »
When it was time to replace our coach tires, I called several tire dealers, and visited others. A commercial truck tire shop understood RVers' needs for"newer" date codes. He had tires in stock (my specified Brand, size, load rating, etc) that were less than 6 months old, and I said I'd buy them - at the FMCA fleet discount price, which he also understood. But, the day before my appointment, he sent his delivery truck from Modesto, CA to the nearest Michelin warehouse in Reno, NV to pick up tires with newer date codes.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:00:23 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

DanKearney

• ---
  • 2000 Gulf Steam Cavalier 19' Class C
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good input.  Seems like 6 months is a good cut-off point.

Now, if my tax return direct deposit would arrive already. . .

Cheers,

Dan K.
Black Hawk, Colorado

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 07:52:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good input.  Seems like 6 months is a good cut-off point.

Now, if my tax return direct deposit would arrive already. . .

Cheers,

Dan K.

As  long as you don't get audited.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »
A few years back I ordered a set of 6 Goodyear tires from a local dealer. I told him anything dated more than 6 months ago would not be acceptable. When he called a few days later to tell me the tires were in, I of course asked how old they were. He laughed and said they were still cooling off from the curing press. Three were 4 weeks old, and the other three were 5 weeks old. I've never had tires that fresh before or since!
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 08:34:37 AM »
Tires are made in huge batches, then factory warehoused until a dealer orders them.  Popular sizes get sold quickly and a new batch made, so they are rarely more than 3-6 months old.  Some of the less common sizes may be warehoused for many months between batches. If you have one of those sizes, your only options are to accept what is in the warehouse or wait until the current batch gets sold and a new one run.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
Yep, that's the way it works, Gary. The Goodyear tires I ordered were not only a very popular 16" LT tire at the time, but I also got lucky on where the model/size was in the production schedule. On less popular sizes, I would necessarily be less critical of the dates.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate