Question about age of tires on purchase date.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanKearney

Howdy All,

Getting ready to purchase 4 replacement tires for the Class C.  I have a make and model chosen already and just need to order them at my local dealer.  I intend to tell the dealer that I want a fresh set of rubber, not something that has been sitting in a warehouse for ages. 

The question is, what's a reasonable amount of time?  Should I insist on tires that are no older than X months on the purchase date?  I figure anything that is less than 12 months old should be OK, but I've never purchased motor home tires before.

What age range do other folks insist on?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Typically the desired tire age for an RV is less than 6 months at time of purchase. Since most RV tires need replacing due to the age of the tire instead of the wear it receives, getting a tire that is a year or two old may cut down on the length of time that passes before you are considering another set.

My thoughts as well.  I would specify when I order the tires that you will not accept a tire with a date code before  (fill in the blank with 6 months ago).

I would think that anything older than 6/8 months would be out of the question for me at least. Depending on the brand, a well known brand will have less chance of tires sitting in a warehouse than a unknown brand.

I recently read a post elsewhere where the dealer installed 11 year old tires,,, I believe that dealer may have legal issues as a result. 4-6 months is old enough, more than six ask for a discount on the price. more than 2 years ask for new rubber.. 15 percent per year.

DanKearney said:
Howdy All,

Getting ready to purchase 4 replacement tires for the Class C.  I have a make and model chosen already and just need to order them at my local dealer.  I intend to tell the dealer that I want a fresh set of rubber, not something that has been sitting in a warehouse for ages. 

The question is, what's a reasonable amount of time?  Should I insist on tires that are no older than X months on the purchase date?  I figure anything that is less than 12 months old should be OK, but I've never purchased motor home tires before.

What age range do other folks insist on?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan, I requested no older than 3 months but settled for 4 months on 4 and 5 months on the other two.  By coincidence, the two 5 month tires were improperly installed (leaked air to the point where they were ruined when I finally noticed the smoke) and the two replacements I got were 3 months old.  Since 7 years is the typical accepted time for replacement, I don't think I would take any one year old new tires.  Most major tire dealers move stock fast enough that age is not a problem.

Bill

When it was time to replace our coach tires, I called several tire dealers, and visited others. A commercial truck tire shop understood RVers' needs for"newer" date codes. He had tires in stock (my specified Brand, size, load rating, etc) that were less than 6 months old, and I said I'd buy them - at the FMCA fleet discount price, which he also understood. But, the day before my appointment, he sent his delivery truck from Modesto, CA to the nearest Michelin warehouse in Reno, NV to pick up tires with newer date codes.

Thanks everyone for the good input.  Seems like 6 months is a good cut-off point.

Now, if my tax return direct deposit would arrive already. . .

Cheers,

Dan K.

DanKearney said:
Thanks everyone for the good input.  Seems like 6 months is a good cut-off point.

Now, if my tax return direct deposit would arrive already. . .

Cheers,

Dan K.

As  long as you don't get audited.

A few years back I ordered a set of 6 Goodyear tires from a local dealer. I told him anything dated more than 6 months ago would not be acceptable. When he called a few days later to tell me the tires were in, I of course asked how old they were. He laughed and said they were still cooling off from the curing press. Three were 4 weeks old, and the other three were 5 weeks old. I've never had tires that fresh before or since!

Tires are made in huge batches, then factory warehoused until a dealer orders them.  Popular sizes get sold quickly and a new batch made, so they are rarely more than 3-6 months old.  Some of the less common sizes may be warehoused for many months between batches. If you have one of those sizes, your only options are to accept what is in the warehouse or wait until the current batch gets sold and a new one run.

Yep, that's the way it works, Gary. The Goodyear tires I ordered were not only a very popular 16" LT tire at the time, but I also got lucky on where the model/size was in the production schedule. On less popular sizes, I would necessarily be less critical of the dates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom