rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: GPS Recommendations  (Read 1829 times)

James & Erin

• ---
GPS Recommendations
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »
Considering a GPS. 

I've scanned the forums a bit and found a few candidates, but wanted to ask again based on new info, new models, etc.  I really like the idea of being able to program in the rig dimensions and weight.

Any outstanding units to look at or avoid? 

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
Re: GPS Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »
I've had a Garmin dezl 560LMT for quite a few years, and though it doesn't cater specifically to RVs (well, minimally anyway), I've been pleased with it. The newer Garmin units aimed specifically at RVs (and with a larger screen too) are on my "someday list." Some folks are happy with the Magellan equivalent, though I have no experience with it, so can't comment.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »
We got the Garmin dezl 770 last fall and I'm pleased with it.  You can enter the size of your rig (it would be a box truck, on this device).  Like was said it does not have RV specific settings.  You can install all the costom POI files you want though, like campsites, etc.
I've been using it in my everyday driver to get familiar with it, seems good to me.  I use my, or my wife's phone map app as a backup most all the time.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

James & Erin

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 06:54:23 PM »
Leaning toward the 770 at the moment.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 08:36:20 PM »
Leaning toward the 770 at the moment.

Note that there are two "770" Garmins, the "dezl" (for trucks) and the "RV" for RVs. Though the two are similar, the "RV" model should be a bit better for RV usage, due to the feature differences.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

James & Erin

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 05:26:49 AM »
Right, I'm looking at the Garmin RV 770 NA LMT-S

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 05:41:08 AM »
I bought my first GPS in 2004 (a POS from Magellan) and I have had many GPSs since then, currently a Garmin 2757) and I fail to see the point of a 'GPS for RVers'. I have always used a normal GPS and it works just fine.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 05:48:40 AM »
Because the GPS for RV's can use the height, weight, and length of an RV to guide one around low overheads, weight restricted bridges, etc.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 06:00:33 AM »
Because the GPS for RV's can use the height, weight, and length of an RV to guide one around low overheads, weight restricted bridges, etc.
Well I have been RVing my whole life and never had a need for a GPS that takes my height weight and length into consideration. I only drive on the main roads where none of that is possible to run into. But I guess if you are into off roading with your RV it would be helpful.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 06:57:30 AM »
Not really offroading, but many secondary roads can have issues with low overheads and restricted bridges.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 08:26:00 AM »
I found a nice deal at Cabela's on a Garmin RV 660 LMT last year, and couldn't be happier with it.  Screen is a wee bit smaller than the 770, but our dash isn't that big and I liked the lower price of the 660.  Features are close to the same.  Some of the things I like:

• Works in "car" mode as well, so I can take it when I travel and rent cars without the RV
  • Stores coach data to avoid areas that you're too large, heavy or tall to make it through
  • Includes LOTS of POIs for RVs, like campgrounds, service facilities, dealers, parts stores, dump stations, etc.
  • Voice command is cool, but you do have to speak loudly and clearly for best results
  • Elevation display is handy when you want to know what hills are coming
  • Using the Garmin Link app on my phone provides nice, granular traffic info as well as real time weather
  • Excellent screen quality and reasonably intuitive interface
  • Easy to change your route on the fly if you like
  • Super intuitive directions, including lane assist, which ROCKS on busy city highways

I was using a 10+ year old Nuvi previously, and wow, was this ever an upgrade!  So far, I like it very much.
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:15:42 PM »
We bought a Garmin RV 770 LMT last year before our vacation. Thus far, I am quite pleased with it with one exception - sometimes it doesn't know exactly where you are. We were ready to make a left turn into a Cracker Barrel and at the last second, the unit recalculated and sent us on a seven mile wild goose chase because it thought we had already missed the turn.

Other than that, it works as advertised, is reasonably easy to program and contains a lot of information. Being able to program it for your particular RV is very nice, but we don't take any chances and still have a backup Rand McNally Motor Carriers road atlas to check roads and bridges.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2018 Chevy Equinox

James & Erin

• ---
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »
... but we don't take any chances and still have a backup Rand McNally Motor Carriers road atlas to check roads and bridges.

I'm with you there.   

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 07:17:32 AM »
We like to travel secondary roads and avoid Interstates.
Our RV770 warned us of a 5 ton weight restriction on Hwy 90 east of NOLA, but lead us across a 5 ton bridge preceding it.

It also displayed some routing quirks when new a year ago. Several updates later its been behaving.

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »
I know what LMT means but how about -S as in Garmin RV 660 LMT-S?
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 03:57:04 PM »
I know what LMT means but how about -S as in Garmin RV 660 LMT-S?

I think that may be a new nomenclature for the "Smartphone Link" compatible models.  I have an RV 660 LMT that does this, but doesn't have the "S" designation, but I got it last year and don't recall seeing "S" models then.  I found this in a Garmin brochure:

"Once paired with the Smartphone Link app, Garmin navigators with LMT-S in the model name will have access to free live services such as live traffic, weather and parking."

I regularly use the Smartphone Link  functions.  It requires installing the Garmin "Smart Link" app, which bluetooths to your GPS.  It provides better weather info and more granular traffic data.  Might be another feature or two that I'm forgetting at the moment.  App must be open on your phone as far as I can tell, but I do like the features.
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

James & Erin

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 07:32:11 AM »
Thank you all for weighing in  :))  Whatever we decide to get I'll report back performance and any issues. 

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • God bless America!
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 01:25:16 PM »
So...what did you buy? I'm looking at the 770LMT but still shopping.
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Blue Ox Aventa LX - RVi3 - EEZRV
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »
So...what did you buy? I'm looking at the 770LMT but still shopping.

Jeff, I used my 770 LMT for the second time during our last vacation in June. Again, it worked very well, providing a lot of good information about POI around us, reminded us after two hours of driving that it might be time to take a break, and all around, was an excellent unit. However, for the second time out in a row, it led us on a wild goose chase thinking we had already missed a turn, when in fact, we were sitting at a stop light waiting to turn left per its directions. Same as last year, it all of a sudden changed its directions and the only reason I can think of is because it lost us and thought we were already past the turn. It cost us eight miles of back country driving when all I would have had to do was make the left turn it told me to in the first place and gone up the road two blocks to the interstate entrance. If they can get the location data fixed on this thing, it will be a great GPS.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 05:51:15 AM »
Update on our Garmin 770 dezl.  We've got over 6k miles on since leaving home on 21 May.  East, south, west, north, and back. Through/to 10 major National Parks, mountains, flat lands, Interstates, US, State and county highways. Never a problem. I use Garmin's Basecamp for my Windows laptop to plan the route, daily (night before travel) use Google maps, compare the routes, also review on the RM road atlas, make adjustments to the Garmin route, load it on the 770.  I run both the 770 and my android phone with google maps all the time I'm driving.
It has worked for us and is a major part of the RV experience.  Needs to be, in my opinion.
I also use Google Maps Satelite View to check out some sections of roadways, fuel stops, campgrounds, boondock sites, etc.  Gives an idea of space and maneuvering requirements.

We do make side trips, occasionally, where I've trusted the 770's routing - has not failed us yet.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

rls7201

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »
If you elect to purchase a garmin, check into http://www.poi-factory.com/ for some great points of interest add ons.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:10:10 PM by rls7201 »

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »
I'm looking at the 5" Garmin
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077ZH31S6/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A13BNE3P7C8THK&psc=1
It appears that the only difference is the size of the screen, other than that it has everything that the 770 has (I only mention the 770 because it seems to be mentioned most often here)  has anyone used this? If so, thoughts? Pros? Cons?
I originally was looking at Rand McNally but the Amazon reviews were awful.
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
July 31, 2019- begin our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up

jims94vmx

• ---
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 07:35:17 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077ZH31S6/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A13BNE3P7C8THK&psc=1
It appears that the only difference is the size of the screen, other than that it has everything that the 770 has (I only mention the 770 because it seems to be mentioned most often here)  has anyone used this? If so, thoughts? Pros? Cons?

That looks interesting, subscribing to learn more as well.

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 08:05:21 AM »

That one looks nice, but do note that it's for trucks, not RVs.  Routing and size restrictions will be fine, but you'll be missing RV-related POIs.  You'll get the truck stops and such, but not the campgrounds and other RV stuff.  You should be able to load POI databases from online sources using Garmin's POI loader, but I suspect a few other features may also be different.

We are really pleased with our RV660 LMT.  https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-RV-660LMT-6-Inch-Navigator/dp/B00YY3UBV2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534251840&sr=8-2&keywords=garmin+660+rv+gps&dpID=41BU04-SD4L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srchI love the interface and some of the features.  Just went on an 11 day trip to multiple destinations.  Had it all mapped out in Basecamp and uploaded to the device.  It was so nice to just hop in and tell it to take us to the next destination with everything already pre-loaded. 

I REALLY like the "up ahead" feature, which shows you how far to the next gas, rest area and campground.  That's been very handy!
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 09:02:04 AM »
I just picked up an RV 770 and, though I've not used it with the RV yet, I have explored the features and driven around with it in a car. A feature (new to me) is the ability to move your course line in order to make routing changes. Just for exploration, I told it to take me to Nashville, TN, and it routed me on I-70 (I'm in Denver area) to St. Louis, then I-64 and such. But at Kansas City it showed straight through town on I-70, which I know from experience is a less than desirable route, so I zoomed in (pinch and spread fingers) and dragged the route line down to the 470 bypass where, after recalculating, it showed the complete bypass route, just with that one drag. It's a wonderful feature.

There are other features new to me, though I suspect that many come with most of the newer Garmins (my dezl 560 is several years old). And the campground listing is overwhelming in the Denver area -- it showed several campgrounds I didn't know about (I do use Allstays) while not missing any that I did know about. And I love that large screen.

After I've used it on a trip I'll likely post more here, but that's at least a month away.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
I just picked up an RV 770 and, though I've not used it with the RV yet, I have explored the features and driven around with it in a car. A feature (new to me) is the ability to move your course line in order to make routing changes. Just for exploration, I told it to take me to Nashville, TN, and it routed me on I-70 (I'm in Denver area) to St. Louis, then I-64 and such. But at Kansas City it showed straight through town on I-70, which I know from experience is a less than desirable route, so I zoomed in (pinch and spread fingers) and dragged the route line down to the 470 bypass where, after recalculating, it showed the complete bypass route, just with that one drag. It's a wonderful feature.

There are other features new to me, though I suspect that many come with most of the newer Garmins (my dezl 560 is several years old). And the campground listing is overwhelming in the Denver area -- it showed several campgrounds I didn't know about (I do use Allstays) while not missing any that I did know about. And I love that large screen.

After I've used it on a trip I'll likely post more here, but that's at least a month away.

Larry - I was fascinated by all the features now available on the 770 when I got mine and still say it's the best GPS I've ever had in that respect. But until they get the positioning fixed, I can't say it's the best unit I've ever owned all around. I really don't like getting sent on wild goose chases eight miles out of my way on roads not meant for RV's. And when speaking to Garmin about it, I was told it must be user error because their products don't make mistakes like that. Okay, you tell me how it was user error when I was sitting in a parking lot at the entrance to a street ready to make a left turn and drive one block to the entrance to an interstate highway when the Garmin recalculated and told me to turn right instead, and then took me on an eight mile, out of the way journey on roads not meant for my coach, only to take me to the next interstate entrance. The same thing happened to me last year. While sitting at a red light in a left turn lane ready to turn into my destination, a Cracker Barrel, the Garmin recalculated and told me to drive straight instead. I stupidly followed it and took four miles of roads not meant for an RV my height, scraping tree branches on the roof before it led me back to the same intersection I had been sitting at, but from a different direction so I could make a right turn into the same parking lot. The only thing I could think of was that the unit thought I had already missed the left turn and recalculated, assuming I needed to get back to where I wanted to go because I was already too far. What it didn't realize was that I was sitting in the correct left turn lane all the while.

Garmin refuses to admit their product can make a mistake, even after something like this was explained to them. They told me to update my firmware, software and maps and use their FAQ's for additional information. I told them I already had done all that and determined my settings were completely accurate and correct for my vehicle, so something else must be wrong. They said there was nothing wrong with the unit or its positioning and it HAD to be something I was doing wrong because their products don't make mistakes.

I have sworn by Garmin for the past 15 years and have had several models of their GPS units. I have always thought they were the best out there when comparing them to Magellan and Tom Tom. But when they refuse to admit they have a problem with one of their models and try to blame it on the user when the user did nothing wrong, it kind of takes away any warm and fuzzy feelings I had for them in the past. I'll continue to use the 770 because it really is a great unit with a lot of features. But I won't trust it or listen to it when it tells me to take wrong turns when I know for a fact that they are wrong. The scary part is when it tells you to do something and you really don't know if it's right or wrong.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 11:09:22 AM »
Sounds as if you ran into a zealot in the support group- not nice to deal with people like that. I've had deviations like that on every GPS I've had, though they're not frequent, starting with the Streetpilot 2730. What you're describing doesn't sound good, though, and I hope I don't encounter that as badly. But thanks for the alert.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »
We've had the Garmin Nuvi 2757 for a couple of years now and still love it.  This model is far superior to the previous Garmins we've owned (maybe six?) and I love the 7-inch screen.  It's so much easier to see than the smaller ones!  It's especially nice when it goes to a split screen and you can see both sides.  The verbal instructions also are better.  None of them is perfect but we have fewer mistakes with this one than earlier versions.

Regarding that crazy routing mentioned above by John, we had a 100-mile detour from Maryland into Washington DC  a couple of years ago because we had it set to avoid toll roads.  We had taken the same route earlier, but the return had a bridge with a toll booth.  Once I realized the problem and removed the toll limitation it put us right back on the reverse of the route taken previously.  You can set some GPSs to avoid left turns and it will take you ten miles in a huge loop to force all right turns!

Changing a route also is easier.  Just go to the point you want to go to and mark it as a waypoint.  That forces a route change.  I use that with the new loop road on the west side of Phoenix, otherwise it routes us straight through downtown.

ArdraF
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:52:58 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF
:D :D

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 07:43:23 AM »
I'm finally able to use the RV-770 LMT on a trip, and I keep discovering nice things about it. After 700+ miles, I find that it's much easier to use than my dezl 560 LMT, and the touch screen allows me not only to input start and end points, but to also drag the route to VIA points (I used that to get a bypass around Kansas City) when setting up a route. While under way, the tool icon (wrench) in the bottom corner brings up a choice of tools that allow one-touch access, such as "up ahead" that brings up (on one side) the next gas station, next rest area, and next campground (this can be reconfigured with other choices), with a touch allowing expansion of the list. A touch on many displayed "fields" on the screen brings up a menu of choices to replace that item with something else (a couple bring up other display stuff, such as trip data). There are icons on the main map display that show locations of campgounds, gas stations and rest areas, too.

The voice directions are improved too, with statements such as, "Turn left at the traffic light" (when that makes sense) in addition to the actual street name on the display, and, "Stay in any of the left three lanes" at a potential turn spot, when any of those lanes will serve to keep you on the route, but double check because once it told me any of the "four" when it was actually any of the "three" -- there are bound to be database mistakes, just as with any GPS.

And these are just scratching the surface of the improvements over the dezl unit. That's in addition to the 7" screen instead of a 5" screen -- love it so far. Someone who actually uses this must have designed the interface.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

pz

• ---
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 12:44:09 PM »
I purchased a Rand McNally RV GPS that is built on an Android tablet platform. It allows one to input your RV specifications (including the height), and after trying it in Oregon this year, it navigated us away from tunnels and bridges that were too low for our fiver.

Because it is built on a tablet platform, I was able to also load Wayz, Google Maps, and other programs that are useful for the road. It knows the speed limits that it displays on the screen as you drive, gives you optional warnings if you go too fast, and has three trip recorders that give lots of information on your trip including top speed, average speed, fuel consumption, and many others. Not cheap though, it was about $425.
PZ
----
2011 Rockwood 8288SS
2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins