GPS Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James & Erin

Considering a GPS. 

I've scanned the forums a bit and found a few candidates, but wanted to ask again based on new info, new models, etc.  I really like the idea of being able to program in the rig dimensions and weight.

Any outstanding units to look at or avoid? 

I've had a Garmin dezl 560LMT for quite a few years, and though it doesn't cater specifically to RVs (well, minimally anyway), I've been pleased with it. The newer Garmin units aimed specifically at RVs (and with a larger screen too) are on my "someday list." Some folks are happy with the Magellan equivalent, though I have no experience with it, so can't comment.

We got the Garmin dezl 770 last fall and I'm pleased with it.  You can enter the size of your rig (it would be a box truck, on this device).  Like was said it does not have RV specific settings.  You can install all the costom POI files you want though, like campsites, etc.
I've been using it in my everyday driver to get familiar with it, seems good to me.  I use my, or my wife's phone map app as a backup most all the time.

James & Erin said:
Leaning toward the 770 at the moment.

Note that there are two "770" Garmins, the "dezl" (for trucks) and the "RV" for RVs. Though the two are similar, the "RV" model should be a bit better for RV usage, due to the feature differences.

I bought my first GPS in 2004 (a POS from Magellan) and I have had many GPSs since then, currently a Garmin 2757) and I fail to see the point of a 'GPS for RVers'. I have always used a normal GPS and it works just fine.

Because the GPS for RV's can use the height, weight, and length of an RV to guide one around low overheads, weight restricted bridges, etc.

kdbgoat said:
Because the GPS for RV's can use the height, weight, and length of an RV to guide one around low overheads, weight restricted bridges, etc.
Well I have been RVing my whole life and never had a need for a GPS that takes my height weight and length into consideration. I only drive on the main roads where none of that is possible to run into. But I guess if you are into off roading with your RV it would be helpful.

Not really offroading, but many secondary roads can have issues with low overheads and restricted bridges.

I found a nice deal at Cabela's on a Garmin RV 660 LMT last year, and couldn't be happier with it.  Screen is a wee bit smaller than the 770, but our dash isn't that big and I liked the lower price of the 660.  Features are close to the same.  Some of the things I like:

• Works in "car" mode as well, so I can take it when I travel and rent cars without the RV
  • Stores coach data to avoid areas that you're too large, heavy or tall to make it through
  • Includes LOTS of POIs for RVs, like campgrounds, service facilities, dealers, parts stores, dump stations, etc.
  • Voice command is cool, but you do have to speak loudly and clearly for best results
  • Elevation display is handy when you want to know what hills are coming
  • Using the Garmin Link app on my phone provides nice, granular traffic info as well as real time weather
  • Excellent screen quality and reasonably intuitive interface
  • Easy to change your route on the fly if you like
  • Super intuitive directions, including lane assist, which ROCKS on busy city highways

I was using a 10+ year old Nuvi previously, and wow, was this ever an upgrade!  So far, I like it very much.

We bought a Garmin RV 770 LMT last year before our vacation. Thus far, I am quite pleased with it with one exception - sometimes it doesn't know exactly where you are. We were ready to make a left turn into a Cracker Barrel and at the last second, the unit recalculated and sent us on a seven mile wild goose chase because it thought we had already missed the turn.

Other than that, it works as advertised, is reasonably easy to program and contains a lot of information. Being able to program it for your particular RV is very nice, but we don't take any chances and still have a backup Rand McNally Motor Carriers road atlas to check roads and bridges.

We like to travel secondary roads and avoid Interstates.
Our RV770 warned us of a 5 ton weight restriction on Hwy 90 east of NOLA, but lead us across a 5 ton bridge preceding it.

It also displayed some routing quirks when new a year ago. Several updates later it?s been behaving.

Tom

BruceinFL said:
I know what LMT means but how about -S as in Garmin RV 660 LMT-S?

I think that may be a new nomenclature for the "Smartphone Link" compatible models.  I have an RV 660 LMT that does this, but doesn't have the "S" designation, but I got it last year and don't recall seeing "S" models then.  I found this in a Garmin brochure:

"Once paired with the Smartphone Link app, Garmin navigators with ?LMT-S? in the model name will have access to free live services such as live traffic, weather and parking."

I regularly use the Smartphone Link  functions.  It requires installing the Garmin "Smart Link" app, which bluetooths to your GPS.  It provides better weather info and more granular traffic data.  Might be another feature or two that I'm forgetting at the moment.  App must be open on your phone as far as I can tell, but I do like the features.

Thank you all for weighing in  :))  Whatever we decide to get I'll report back performance and any issues. 

Alpena Jeff said:
So...what did you buy? I'm looking at the 770LMT but still shopping.

Jeff, I used my 770 LMT for the second time during our last vacation in June. Again, it worked very well, providing a lot of good information about POI around us, reminded us after two hours of driving that it might be time to take a break, and all around, was an excellent unit. However, for the second time out in a row, it led us on a wild goose chase thinking we had already missed a turn, when in fact, we were sitting at a stop light waiting to turn left per its directions. Same as last year, it all of a sudden changed its directions and the only reason I can think of is because it lost us and thought we were already past the turn. It cost us eight miles of back country driving when all I would have had to do was make the left turn it told me to in the first place and gone up the road two blocks to the interstate entrance. If they can get the location data fixed on this thing, it will be a great GPS.

Update on our Garmin 770 dezl.  We've got over 6k miles on since leaving home on 21 May.  East, south, west, north, and back. Through/to 10 major National Parks, mountains, flat lands, Interstates, US, State and county highways. Never a problem. I use Garmin's Basecamp for my Windows laptop to plan the route, daily (night before travel) use Google maps, compare the routes, also review on the RM road atlas, make adjustments to the Garmin route, load it on the 770.  I run both the 770 and my android phone with google maps all the time I'm driving.
It has worked for us and is a major part of the RV experience.  Needs to be, in my opinion.
I also use Google Maps Satelite View to check out some sections of roadways, fuel stops, campgrounds, boondock sites, etc.  Gives an idea of space and maneuvering requirements.

We do make side trips, occasionally, where I've trusted the 770's routing - has not failed us yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom