New tow vehicle, new weight distribution hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigus_d

I upgraded to an F250. I was setup with an eaz-lift elite roundbar weight distribution hitch for my old tow vehicle... but that was for a 2? hitch receiver and the f250?s is 2 1/2. I just picked up a reducer, but it specifically says not to use with weight distribution systems.

Any idea if I can get a new shank that will work with the kit I?ve got?
Any other suggestions?

in short YES they make shanks up to 3inches the biggest difference is the size on the ball mount where you mount it onto the shank - it goes to about  to about 15/16 on  a 2 and 7/8 ball

congrats on the new truck

I use an adapter with my F250 and Blue Ox Sway Pro.  Not a single problem.  My adapter is a Ford adapter and I do not remember it stating not to use with a WDH.

So... the hitch system states max tow weight with adapter is 6000 (less than my trailer).

I found and ordered this: https://www.etrailer.com/p-EQ90-02-4900.html

Hope it works!!!

I recommend the 2 1/2? shank. I lived with the GM stock adapter and a 2? shank for last season. There was too much play at the ball (1? vertical at the ball). This contributed to Avery choppy ride over highways with concrete joints.
I?m replacing my 2? shank with a 2 1/2? shank. My WDH is a Fastway E2 hitch. E-Trailer reps several hitch solutions. RVupgrades.com as well.

Using a 2" adapter vs. using a 2 1/2" shank drawbar also reduces the weight carrying and WD ratings.  I had a 2" Blue Ox shank and ended up buying the 2 1/2" shank....the one that comes with the 2000 lb tongue weight/20,000 lb setup.  The tension bars and hitch platform that is adjustable, all switch over to the 2 1/2" shank, so no problems there.  I now have a 2" Blue Ox shank though that I don't know what to do with.

bigus_d said:
I upgraded to an F250. I was setup with an eaz-lift elite roundbar weight distribution hitch for my old tow vehicle... but that was for a 2? hitch receiver and the f250?s is 2 1/2. I just picked up a reducer, but it specifically says not to use with weight distribution systems.

Any idea if I can get a new shank that will work with the kit I?ve got?
Any other suggestions?
I upgraded to the F250 and I had the adapter welded to the shank of my WD hitch.

xrated said:
So you still have a 2" shank and the weight capacities that are associated with that size.
I wasn?t trying to change the capacity, just get rid of the slop in part of the hitch without spending over $100 to do it

This current thread specifically addresses this issue with hard facts.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,112264.0.html

Danny Pyle said:
I wasn?t trying to change the capacity, just get rid of the slop in part of the hitch without spending over $100 to do it

Ok, just making sure that folks are aware that using the reducer sleeve reduces the towing capacity of the hitch.

bigus_d said:
So... the hitch system states max tow weight with adapter is 6000 (less than my trailer).

I found and ordered this: https://www.etrailer.com/p-EQ90-02-4900.html

Hope it works!!!

It worked!  Turns out I didn?t need all the drop this one offers, but it was totally compatible with my hitch.

Back
Top Bottom