Good Chinese tire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Frank. 'Good' and 'Chinese' still don't belong in the same sentence, just my experience of many years. Wish you luck.

Tom said:
Thanks Frank. 'Good' and 'Chinese' still don't belong in the same sentence, just my experience of many years. Wish you luck.

Got it, and I don't disagree. I'm hoping that the Chinese tire manufacturers have learned something as a result of all the bad press. I guess I'll find out!  ;D  Like I say, the specs sure look good -- well beyond what I need for my unit.  And I'll be watching them VERY carefully.  So, stay tuned!

Frank.

Maxxis tires are NOT made in China, they are made in Taiwan......and they have a very long history of being a quality tire.  My current  13K GVWR Toy Hauler has a set of four on it, after I ditched the original China Bomb Trailer King tires that came on it.  This is the third trailer that I've put Maxxis tires on and never had an issue with any of them, previous or current.  Spend your money however you want, just a heads up that there ARE good quality ST tires out there.

Tom said:
I shop a lot at Walmart and I own a whole bunch of Chinese stuff that is great.

Tom said:

This is a good read for those deciding on whether to buy Chinese. They can and do make many things in China that are quality but it hard to find out which ones. https://www.amazon.com/Poorly-Made-China-Insiders-Production/dp/0470928077

I always tried to buy Carlisle tires for my trailers and lawn equipment. Lately I have had several sets of trailer tires and mower tires begin leaking thru the sidewall, those are made in China. I also have some old carlisle tires that are made in America and are still holding air with little signs of sidewall cracking.

For those that still have faith in Chinese tires then feel free to put them on your motorcycle and ride the interstate.

xrated said:
Maxxis tires are NOT made in China, they are made in Taiwan......

Maxxis is a subsidiary of Cheng Shin and produce their ST tires in Thailand.

Our EZ Loader boat trailer came with C rated GY Marathons made in New Zealand. Lasted ~7 yrs then had a tread separation. Replaced one then went another year then all new Maxxis M8008. Our new Montana 3791RD came with G rated 4,080# 14 ply Sailun ST635/R80-16. http://www.sailuntires.ca/MRT/S637.html  I've seen no bad reviews of Sailun Chinese made tires. I hear the new GY Endurance are made in USA.

Tom said:
Frank, Our Michelin tires were manufactured in the USA, see here, and I didn't mention Goodyear  ???

Michelin does manufacturer a lot of their tires here in the USA. However, they also have numerous tire manufacturing plants in operation all around the world, including China. All tires have a code on their sidewalls that can be used to verify just where that particular tire was manufactured, including the plant name and country where located.

Although we live about 10 miles from Michelin of North America, our last set of Michelin tires for our SUV were manufactured at a tire plant in France.

Tom said:
Frank, Our Michelin tires were manufactured in the USA, see here, and I didn't mention Goodyear  ???

Are you SURE your Michelin tires were made in the USA ? My last three MH had Michelin tires and NOT one of them were made in the USA and they were JUNK. Some of them were aged out but others were not and were cracked so bad I was afraid to drive on them.

Just because some tires are made in China don't mean they are ALL bad. There are some good tires made in China too, but they do cost more.

People put the cheapest tire they can find on any vehicle or trailer, then run them under inflated or over loaded, then blame the tire. They wonder why a $46.00 trailer tire fails when trying to run 75 mph down the interstate when it's 95 degrees out. Most all C and D trailer tires are rated for 65 mph. Spend the money and buy the correct tire for the application. 

[quote author=Charlie 5320]Are you SURE your Michelin tires were made in the USA ?[/quote]

I'll check and snap a picture next time I'm at the storage facility.

Spend the money and buy the correct tire for the application.

I assume that was meant for someone else  ???

what can you buy anymore that's actually made in America, even new cars have many parts that are Chinese made weather its Ford, Chevy, Dodge. I run Hankook Tires and they are fine, I don't have lots of money so I spend it carefully and, don't get paranoid about a blowout.You can't stop everything from happening so keep an eye on things and watch your tire pressures and the load you are running with.

Hankook has a reasonable reputation. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Or, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Tom said:
Hankook has a reasonable reputation. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Or, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Some Hankook?s are made in South Korea, while other tires are produced in China for Hankook.

Memtb said:
Some Hankook?s are made in South Korea, while other tires are produced in China for Hankook.

Some Hankook's are apparently also made in the US.     

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/hankook-tire-celebrates-grand-opening-of-first-us-manufacturing-plant-300538239.html

I'm the kind of person that believes you take your chances every time you get on the road, when there are other people on the same road as you. I remember when my dad would look for good used tires and drive 7 of us around in a 1966 Mercury station wagon, he didn't drive like we drive today but, drove the speed limit and, didn't drive on a low tire either. I figure if I have to be so paranoid about something happening to me, I mine as well stay home and not go out. I don't buy the most expensive or the cheapest of anything nor do I get caught up in big marketing schemes when someone claims to have the best, plenty of stories about the claimed best having failures too.

I can't speak to the tire the OP purchased, but i have had good luck with Kenda Loadstar tires.
Available in a bias ply "K550", or the "Karrier Radial".

Mine will age out before I wear the tread down, so I went with the K550 bias ply. Been on the trailer for almost 4 years (my single axle Prowler) and been from northern NY to central Illinois, down dirt roads in the Adirondack mountains, no issues.
Mine were made in Taiwan.

cgmartin said:
"Good Chinese" tire? Good and Chinese do not go together.
Just replaced 6 JinJu 295x80Rx22.5 that were 10yrs old along with 2 Michelin?s that we?re 7yrs old on the front as it was overdue. All showed comparable wear.

Back
Top Bottom