towing load limits with 1999 tropical 37ft v10gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glen t

what is my weight limit with this rig i have found a variety of opinions would like to pull a car hauler with small car and 2 HD motorcycles

The numbers you need are the ACTUAL weight of the RV (get it weighed), the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating).  There is usually a tire placard with this information on the driver door.

Tge GVWR is the most your fully loaded rig can weigh, and knowing the empty wt lets you know how much weight you may add (passengers, clothing, pots and pans, souvenirs)

The GCWR is the most your RV and the Toad and hitch combined, may weigh.

Some folks subtract GVWR from GCWR and think this is the most they can tow.  NOT TRUE.  Weight allowed but not added to the RV increases towing capacity.

Example:  IF GVWR = 20,000 and GCWR = 24,000  AND the RV is loaded to 20,000, then you are limited to 4,000 towed weight.
IF the RV is only loaded to 18,500, then your towed weight can be up to 5,500  (24,000 - 18,500)

The placards are the ultimate authority.

Can't find any data on the Tropical.  However, Winnebago sold comparable motorhomes on Ford chassis's in 1999.  The 1999 Adventurer brochure, lists a 37 foot model with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 20,500 lbs.  I suspect the Tropical is similar. 

The first thing you should do is weigh your motorhome.  Load it as if you were going to travel.  Fill the gas tank and fresh water tank with as much water as you think you'll need.  Then find a scale and have it weighed.  CAT scales charge a fee of about $10.00.  Subtract the weight of the loaded motorhome from the Gross Combined Weight Rating and you'll know how much you can tow without exceeding the weight rating. 

For comparison purposes, I owned a 1999 Ford V10 motorhome.  Shorter than yours and it weighed less than 18,000 lbs loaded.  I determined the GCWR of my motorhome was 26,000 by checking a Ford Motorhome Company chassis website.  So in my case, I could pull up to 8,000 lbs before exceeding the GCWR.  But to do that, I would have needed a better hitch.  The hitch rating on most gas motorhomes is only 5,000 lbs.  It's likely your setup, trailer, car and cycles will exceed 5,000 lbs so in this case, you will need to have your hitch upgraded  Then you will want to make sure you have adequate brakes and a good weight distributing hitch on your trailer. 

My guess is your motorhome will weigh closer to 20,000 lbs when loaded and your trailer with car and cycles will weigh more than 6,000 lbs.  So you'll be pushing or exceeding the GCWR. 

Since towing larger vehicle laws requires their own braking system,  the hitch determines almost everything in towing. 
(and besides, likely the motorhome builder cut and extended the chassis so the original Ford engineering is void anyway)

There is this old ranch owner from Texas that comes every year to my So. Cal RV park, he has the same V10 powered gas 37' motorhome chassis that everyone has, Fleetwood I think.

He welded up his own hitch, and tows a flatbed trailer,  with a Chevy pickup on it, with a Quad in the bed of the truck.... he says it's fine, but it ain't fast.

In a 1999 coach, the GVWR and GCWR should be on a placard on the wall next to the driver seat.

The hitch itself probably has a 5000 lb capacity, but the method of attaching it to the rear of the coach will reduce that to 4000 lbs in many rigs. The other major limitation is the difference between the coach actual loaded weight (obtained on a truck scale) and the GCWR.

I think the largest Ford chassis in 1999 was a 20,500 lb GVWR. However, Tropicals were also available on the Workhorse P30 chassis.

Back
Top Bottom