Death Valley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyg2013

Is it worth it to stop here for a night or two?  If yes, where do you recommend I stay?

Death Valley is absolutely incredible and well worth a visit.  It is huge though, even bigger than Yellowstone. We prefer staying at Sunset campground when we are there. It is close to the private resort. No hookups though. There are private campgrounds with hookups, but the are frequently fully booked. Note all the big campgrounds are basically parking lots. Texas Spring (up the hill from Sunset, no reservations, no generators) and Mesquite Spring are lovely but hard to get in to.

UTTransplant said:
Death Valley is absolutely incredible and well worth a visit.  It is huge though, even bigger than Yellowstone. We prefer staying at Sunset campground when we are there. It is close to the private resort. No hookups though. There are private campgrounds with hookups, but the are frequently fully booked. Note all the big campgrounds are basically parking lots. Texas Spring (up the hill from Sunset, no reservations, no generators) and Mesquite aspring are lovely but hard to get in to.
You took the words right out of my mouth. It is a fantastic place to visit between October and March. Between April and September you have to be insane to go there. It is a really beautiful place to visit and has some amazing scenery.

Two days aren't enough.  The distances are long between various features and/or attractions.

ArdraF

I was looking over the info on the upcoming 49er's gathering and it said Sunset Campground and Texas Springs Campground are both closed until further notice...Is this the real deal???

Sunset and Texas Springs campgrounds were briefly closed this fall due to the government shutdown. They were open when we stayed there in November. Both close in the summer. Death Valley is a spectacular place to visit. You need several days to get a taste of it. If you like it, you can always go back. We lived there 4 years and still go back every Year or two. There are parts of it that are great in the summer. Other areas are winter only visits. Go and enjoy.

Wendy

john owens said:
I was looking over the info on the upcoming 49er's gathering and it said Sunset Campground and Texas Springs Campground are both closed until further notice...Is this the real deal???
During the 2017 Encampment Texas Springs was closed. Sunset opened up for the Encampment, but it was scheduled to close again right afterwards. Due to hard work by park staff and some dumb luck, Sunset stayed open and Texas Springs opened up the day the Encampment ended. There should be no problems with either one in 2018.

UTTransplant said:
During the 2017 Encampment Texas Springs was closed. Sunset opened up for the Encampment, but it was scheduled to close again right afterwards. Due to hard work by park staff and some dumb luck, Sunset stayed open and Texas Springs opened up the day the Encampment ended. There should be no problems with either one in 2018.

You never know with budgets and funding. But we can always remain hopeful.

What time of the year are you planning on going to Death Valley?

Spring break is a good time to visit as the wildflowers are beautiful. 

Little too hot in July and August....

I plan on being there the week of March 26 and I understand that is Spring Break for Nevada schools. I also want to visit and camp at Valley of Fire State Park but it is a first come/served campground. I'm concerned that the locals from Vegas will get there before I do.  Anyone have an opinion?

If you are in a campground that doesn't take reservations it is simply a matter of being in the campground at daybreak and waiting for someone to leave. 

We haven't stayed there ourselves but have visited the park several times.  Our friends stayed at the Furnace Creek Campground last year when Texas and Sunset were closed it seems like those 2 are pretty popular. Furnace seemed nice enough but no hook ups and you are likely to need A.C. if it's hot, March might not be too bad and will likely be reasonable  at night.

Lots to see there, Badwater Basin, Zabriskie Point, the Charcoal Kilns and Devil's Golf course are nice to see as well as the sand dunes. The Artists Palette is a beautiful short drive and Dante's View a great scenic lookout.

Not sure if you have a car or just RV so check roads as some may not be suitable for RV.

Check out the park website for information and if you are on Facebook there is a great group posting fabulous photos of the park. You need to join it before seeing posts I think and they ask why you want to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/621816101277589/

Have a great time!

jackiemac said:
Oh and if you fancy take a blue flashlight and look for Scorpions!

Thanks for the lesson on scorpion finding Jackie!  :)) I never knew about that, so I did an internet search and saw a couple of neat videos. Pretty cool.

kdbgoat said:
Thanks for the lesson on scorpion finding Jackie!  :)) I never knew about that, so I did an internet search and saw a couple of neat videos. Pretty cool.
You're welcome. Not always easy to spot, but we saw some last year at Usery Mountain State Park in North Phoenix, see photos...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1520417397158.jpg
    FB_IMG_1520417397158.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 26
  • FB_IMG_1520417387527.jpg
    FB_IMG_1520417387527.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 22
Furnace Creek Campground does have some hookup sites. They are reservable and fill up fast.

Wendy said:
Furnace Creek Campground does have some hookup sites. They are reservable and fill up fast.
Thanks for correcting me Wendy, didnt realise there were any, our friends certainly didn't have a site with any. That's good info as we want to camp in Death Valley this year and that was a nice place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom