DIY fixes while traveling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV_Wizard said:
Murphy's Law assures that  whatever spare parts you carry will NOT be needed, but that in itself can be helpful in avoiding problems.  ;).  But all that assumes you have some knowledge & skills to figure out how to employ them.. Many people cannot.

Not an RV yet but extensive travels on M/C.  If I don't have the skill, someone passing by just might.  But, he certainly won't have the parts (or the manual).

I try to always think "What would MacGyver do"

Drifterrider said:
I try to always think "What would MacGyver do"

Gotta have one of those little red knifes!

Universal Repair Kit:
1 roll duct tape
5 to 6 feet bailing wire
3 lb. sledge hammer (for precision adjustments)
2 cans chicken noodle soup (solvent/lubricant)

Haven't found something to fix electronics, though...

Fogetty said:

>
>
>

I thought item 3 above would work well on the electronics... ;)

Fogetty said:

Universal Repair Kit:
1 roll duct tape
5 to 6 feet bailing wire
3 lb. sledge hammer (for precision adjustments)
2 cans chicken noodle soup (solvent/lubricant)

I take the soup but that is in case I can't fix it and have to wait or walk.  In case of the latter, I also have a pair of comfortable shoes handy.

NY_Dutch said:
I also have a selection of Watts/SeaTech push on PEX fittings, including a couple of inline valves that can be used to cap a line or couple a new piece in, or as a temporary shut off to isolate a leaking faucet, etc.

Nice going there Dutch, no sooner do you suggest this and I discover the first Pex leak I've ever had. Appears to be an elbow under a sink penetrating down to the basement. Freezing wasn't an issue, nor pressure as I have one of the expensive regulators with gauge (plus city water where I am is low pressure anyway). Guess the fitting just gave up. Fortunately relatively easy to get to, will require two couplers, some Pex line and an elbow.

Have never played with Pex, I assume I can get what I need at Lowe's. You mention "push-on" fittings - all of the fittings in the coach are banded and compressed with a tool I presume. Are the press-on the latest thing or simply an emergency method? I don't mind buying a tool to do it the OEM way if that's better.

The push-on fittings have been around for years, but they are more expensive than the crimp banded fittings the RV manufacturers use. The crimping tool is not too expensive, and worthwhile if you expect to use it a lot. Otherwise, the push-on's are easier to use for a quick yet long term fix. I'm not sure which of several brands Lowe's carries, but I'm sure they have them. The only tool needed to use the push-on fittings is a sharp knife.

Success! Cut out the bad fitting added a new piece of Pex and two fittings, whole job took about 15 minutes

NY_Dutch said:
The push-on fittings have been around for years, but they are more expensive than the crimp banded fittings the RV manufacturers use.

No kidding, $8 each. But boy are they convenient

The crimping tool is not too expensive, and worthwhile if you expect to use it a lot.

Well, Lowe's gets $80 for theirs! Figured I didn't need an $80 crimper and just bought a couple extra fittings and some Pex line as spares

I'm not sure which of several brands Lowe's carries, but I'm sure they have them.

Sharkbite

The only tool needed to use the push-on fittings is a sharp knife.

I used a ratchet PVC cutter - cut the Pex like butter, nice and clean and straight

Attachments

• bad Pex fitting.jpg
    bad Pex fitting.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 20
Sun2Retire said:
Success! Cut out the bad fitting added a new piece of Pex and two fittings, whole job took about 15 minutes

No kidding, $8 each. But boy are they convenient

Well, Lowe's gets $80 for theirs! Figured I didn't need an $80 crimper and just bought a couple extra fittings and some Pex line as spares

Sharkbite

I used a ratchet PVC cutter - cut the Pex like butter, nice and clean and straight

Great! I'm glad it all worked out for you. And a ratchet cutter is exactly what I use as well, although I do use a utility knife if the cutter isn't nearby when needed.

A few years ago our old Southwind had a serpentine belt self destruct at the summit of Vail Pass, in the process it took out three V-Belts for good measure.  I was able to get a mobile service to come to the rescue, but trying to determine what belts were needed with little information other that it was a 454 motor on a GM chassis, was a real challenge, the local parts store had no real reference for a motorhome. Then I remembered that the guy I bought it from some 12 years before, had left some belts and hoses in a bag deep in a hidden hole in one of the rear compartments.  I dug it out and sure enough there was a new belt for everyone that was damaged. Belts and hoses don't weigh much so I never worried about leaving them in there.  I expect that that kind of information is readily available via the Internet, but if you have an older RV it may be a good idea to have numbers for the belts and hoses on record.
Also, I agree on the need for a few basic tools and "fix it quick and temporary" supplies like duct tape and electrical tape, steel wire, and light electrical wire, connectors and tools for light 12 volt repairs, and a couple "alligator clip" jumpers for simple DC testing and temporary fixes.
Great thread, I hope people keep adding ideas.

Back
Top Bottom