Towing with my 2017 Chevy Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlt

Hi, First time posting, Question: I have been shopping/looking at travel trailers that I will be able to tow with my Chevy Colorado 2017 4x4 with a towing package, Factory specs say 7000 lbs towing max. I realize I will not get anywhere close to that number. I am asking what weigh would realistically to expect for this Truck?? I done some research and know other factors come onto play too but trying to get a starting point on what to expect. I saw one article that stated some where between 60% to 65% is a good starting point of factory max specs? Your thoughts/ comments??  Thanks in advance. rlt       

I would say more like 80-90% of the factory max, but it depends somewhat on how much you will load into the truck itself. If you are carrying 4 adult passengers, for example, the tow capacity goes down noticeably.

Colorado 4x4 can be rated as high as 7600 lbs w/towing package, so make sure you are looking at your specific truck configuration.

Thanks on the feedback...I double check and it`s 7000 lbs max towing, I`m thinking the Colorado Diesel might be 7600 towing max. Will be  two adults.  The GCWR of the Colorado is 12,000 lbs.

I agree on the GVWR to look at ..and you are right about the ..Dry Weight 

We used to give a "rule of thumb" to not exceed 80% of the tow rating if towing in the mountains or 90% if mostly towing on the flats.  That leaves some room for passengers & gear in the truck, the weight of the hitch itself, and probably a bit of extra margin as well.  Those are shopping estimates, intended to keep you in a reasonable weight range.  Obviously 80% has more windage than 90%, so if the trailer you are looking at is at or very near 90%, I would suggest getting out a calculator and figuring more closely. There are trailer tow estimators available online that can help with the analysis.

Here are some estimators:
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml
http://www.huskytow.com/towing-calculator/
http://fifthwheelst.com/rvtc_calculator.html

Some estimators suggest setting a safety margin above and beyond the max limit, maybe as much as 20%.  In my opinion that is overkill if towing with a pick-up truck, but not so far-fetched if towing with a mid size SUV, crossover, or sedan. 

My method is to totally ignore the max towing capacity.  It is an advertising gimmick ONLY and not even close to real world.  It assumes a bare naked truck, no options except Max Tow, only 2 passengers at 150# each, and absolutely nothing else!  Every pound of options, passengers above 300#, and cargo must be deducted from max tow capacity.  Read the fine print, and you will find this.

My preferred method is to find the yellow placard on the driver door latch pillar which gives you the "weight of all passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX lbs"  This is exactly says.  AKA Payload.  This is specific to THAT truck as it left the factory.

Add up the weight of all passengers, pets, car seats, snacks, tools, firewood, toys and anything else you plan to carry in the truck.  Add 80# for a WD hitch.  Now subtract this number from the Payload.  This is your maximum Hitch wt, which will leave you right at the truck GVWR.
Assuming 10% hitch wt, the absolute max TT weight is 10 X hitch wt.  USE CAMPER GVWR IN THIS ESTIMATE!!  Nobody camps with an empty camper!

I would prefer to stay at 90% of that weight as most numbers are just estimates. 

Other weights like GCWR and rear axle WR come into play, but if you follow this system and have significant weight in the truck, the other weights fall in line.

Another quick question, anyone out there towing with 2017 Colorado 4 x 4 with a 7000 maximum towing, curious to what they are pulling down the road with this vehicle,Or a vehicle that has the same tow rating of 7000 maximum tow, thanks advance for your information

There are a lot of nice TT's with great floor plans that come in much lower than the 7K limit.    Heck, I have a 2015 Chevy 2500 and still prefer TT's that are 28' or less and under 7000 lb.  But I like to play the dispersed, off grid camping game.

rlt said:
    Hi, First time posting, Question: I have been shopping/looking at travel trailers that I will be able to tow with my Chevy Colorado 2017 4x4 with a towing package, Factory specs say 7000 lbs towing max. I realize I will not get anywhere close to that number. I am asking what weigh would realistically to expect for this Truck?? I done some research and know other factors come onto play too but trying to get a starting point on what to expect. I saw one article that stated some where between 60% to 65% is a good starting point of factory max specs? Your thoughts/ comments??  Thanks in advance. rlt     

RLT,
    I just joined the forum and found your post. I have a 2018 Colorado Z71 and will be purchasing a new camper, somewhere around 5100 UVW. I'd like to ask what you ended up with, and how it tows. I realized this is an old post but am interested.

Thank you

Forget the trailer UVW and use trailer GVWR in your evaluation.  You won't be towing the trailer empty and odds are it will be close to its max.

Then you need to get specific about the Colorado's configuration. It can have a tow capacity anywhere from 3500 to 7700 lbs, depending on the engine, tranny, rear axle, cab style and 2WD.4WD. Most ZR2's are probably 5000 lbs max, meaning that trailer would be far too heavy for it.  Look up your specific configuration at http://webcontent.goodsam.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2018.pdf

Gary is exactly correct.

When advertising claims their (pick your model) can tow a kazillion pounds, what they really mean is we can produce a stripped down model with NO OPTIONS except max tow, only 2 passengers, and no cargo that can tow that load.  And what they tow is a flatbed carrying bricks.  Towing a high profile camper with a family in the cab and "stuff" in the bed is an entirely different story with a MUCH LOWER tow capacity!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom