How important is tire width?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Stephens

My Winnebago Adventurer 38J's information plate on the driver's door indicates I am supposed to have 235R tires on the coach, but the tires are actually 245's. Fortunately, they are only four years old and hopefully won't have to be replaced for another 2-3 years. But I am wondering for when the time comes if I should stay with what is on the coach or revert back to what is supposed to be on it according to the placard. For that matter, can you put 245's on 235 wheels? If so, what, if any, advantage is there in using 245's when the manufacturer says to use 235's?

The big concern is always rubbing on dual tires, and the amount of space between them, which will vary depending on the back spacing of the specific wheel.

A Michelin 235/80R22 is the same size as a Goodyear (or other manufacturer) 245/75R22.
I suspect this is what happened in your case. No issue in using one in place of the other.

ken

Are you sure about that? I do know that equal width R75 tires are about an inch (~3%) shorter than the equivalent 80's. The larger tires described should be equal in height to the narrower 80's.

Ernie

Since the aspect ratio (75 vs 80) is different, the overall sizes work out about the same.  About 0.3" difference in diameter, 1" in circumference and 5 revs/mile.

You can use any of several tire size calculators to show that. Just enter the two size values and click the Compare button. Here's one:
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Back
Top Bottom