Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Brake and turn LED upgrades?  (Read 1004 times)

SCVJeff

• ---
Brake and turn LED upgrades?
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:54:10 PM »
Before I open the lights up and try this myself, I'm curious if anyone has swapped the incandescent lamps with LED, and what does it do to the turn signal flash rate in the 2000-2007'ish model year Freightliner's ?

Compared to recent issue LED technology, these are pretty anemic

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: Brake and turn LED upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:46:05 AM »
Ooh, interesting situation! I know some of the ECUs (PCMs) look for a certain resistance to determine if the bulbs are operational. Maybe Freightliner knows?
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »
Well, lacking replies I guess I'll forage the wind and see how to remove the fixture to pull a bulb to see what happens. I replaced the 1157 dedicated lamps in the Honda with red LED and now the coach lights look faded and washed out. Not the case but I can do allot better. Standby for the engineering report..

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 12:23:02 AM »
Welp..  in case anyone's interested, I replaced the stock 1157 running and brake light with a hi intensity red LED, and the difference is astounding. Running a red LED through a red lens makes the light extremely vibrant.

I would suggest that those with this era rear lenses take them off and look for weathering inside. The corrosion on my lamp base was extreme because the foam insulation is completely shot and allowed water incursion. I'll be replacing the sheet foam with all new insulation as well as the new lamp sitting in a pool of dielectric to retard moisture off the contacts and shell.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:45:46 AM »
.....I would suggest that those with this era rear lenses take them off and look for weathering inside. The corrosion on my lamp base was extreme because the foam insulation is completely shot and allowed water incursion. ....
My buddy with a Safari Trek had the very same experience.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Neub

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 04:41:52 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the update on the 1157 led, been thinking of doing mine also along with the front cap lights since I want to redo all the seals to head off any leaks.  By chance did you do the turn signals?  I know on both of my motorcycles putting leds into the turn signals I had to put a resistor in line to each bulb to get them to flash correctly....otherwise they flashed extremely fast.
Randy
2005 Journey 36G, Cat C7 350 hp
Apple Valley, MN

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the update on the 1157 led, been thinking of doing mine also along with the front cap lights since I want to redo all the seals to head off any leaks.  By chance did you do the turn signals?  I know on both of my motorcycles putting leds into the turn signals I had to put a resistor in line to each bulb to get them to flash correctly....otherwise they flashed extremely fast.
havent gotten that far yet. Today's project is to cut new foam (available off the shelf at Hobby Lobby) and get a little isolation back. While in there I'm gonna pull a lamp and see what happens. I'd post a picture of the difference of the tail light LED vs. filament, but the forum requires a specific not to exceed size, and the iPad can't to that.. O well..

Life was easier before Photobucket screwed things up..

RGrimm

• ---
  • Starting Our Adventure
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »
Welp..  in case anyone's interested, I replaced the stock 1157 running and brake light with a hi intensity red LED, and the difference is astounding. Running a red LED through a red lens makes the light extremely vibrant.

I would suggest that those with this era rear lenses take them off and look for weathering inside. The corrosion on my lamp base was extreme because the foam insulation is completely shot and allowed water incursion. I'll be replacing the sheet foam with all new insulation as well as the new lamp sitting in a pool of dielectric to retard moisture off the contacts and shell.
Jeff - Where did you get your hi intensity red LED 1157 replacements? What brand?

I'd like to start replacing mine.

Thanks,
Russ
~ Russ and Arlene ~
Northeast Florida
2006 Winnebago Journey 34H
Towing - 2013 Edge Limited
SMI - Air Force 1 Aux Braking
Blackhawk 2 All Terrain 10K

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 12:55:16 AM »
Hey Russ... got them fresh off of eBay.. I now have a small selection of 1157ís: Not bright enough, too bright, and jusssst right. Canít comment on long term yet, but I rarely drive at night. This was a project to make the brake lights deeply intense so they were unmistakable.

These are as bright as I choose to take the running lights before they look like brake light intensity. I also replaced the amber turn signals with Amber LED. Iíll dig up links if you want them?

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 05:17:06 AM »
Life was easier before Photobucket screwed things up..

Have you run across "postimage.org"?  That's where I went when photobucket upped there ante.  Easy to use and resize images at the time of upload.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

RGrimm

• ---
  • Starting Our Adventure
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 08:14:16 PM »
Hey Russ... got them fresh off of eBay.. I now have a small selection of 1157ís: Not bright enough, too bright, and jusssst right. Canít comment on long term yet, but I rarely drive at night. This was a project to make the brake lights deeply intense so they were unmistakable.

These are as bright as I choose to take the running lights before they look like brake light intensity. I also replaced the amber turn signals with Amber LED. Iíll dig up links if you want them?
Thanks Jeff, I'll search eBay
~ Russ and Arlene ~
Northeast Florida
2006 Winnebago Journey 34H
Towing - 2013 Edge Limited
SMI - Air Force 1 Aux Braking
Blackhawk 2 All Terrain 10K