indoor Low temperature back home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pa bell

We stay in Florida through the winter, leaving the dreary winter in Ohio behind. How low can we set the temperature in a well insulated house and not cause any problems?

Like Rene, we set the thermostat in our upstate NY cottage at 55 degrees. We also use an AcuRite Internet connected temperature sensor system to keep track of the inside and outside temps online, with automated alarms that will text and/or email us if various user settable conditions occur from low temps to low sensor batteries and communications failures.

We set our thermostat at 46 degrees. Never had a problem....except the year mice moved in.

Were the mice too chilly to enjoy themselves?  (Sorry, sometimes I cannot help myself)

I just turn of the waer, drain the water heater and blow the house plumbing down. Then I add potable antifreeze to the sinks and toilets. All just like an rv.

Ernie

Generally you just need to keep any & all parts of the interior above freezing.  However, local factors can trump any general advice.  For example, are there any semi-exposed water lines, e.g. in a crawl space or attic?  Do outside temps get severely cold, e.g. 0 F., or just "below freezing"? I  s humidity a problem?  Any of those things might dictate a higher thermostat setting or "winterization" ala Ernie's method.

Most thermostats don't have a setting below 50-55, so that may be the limiting factor.

We use a couple of Honeywell wifi thermostats and set temp at 55. Turn off water pump just in case.
We monitor upstairs and downstairs temps and can adjust from anywhere we have wifi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom