Forest River vs Keystone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carin

I've been looking at Forest River Wildwood 27RKSS (also Forest River Salem T27RKSS) which look to be the same model.
I've also been looking at Keystone Bullet Premier 29RKPR (totally different floor plan)

Which one is better made?  I can't seem to find anything on this. The sales people will gladly tell you one is crap and the other is better because......

How do you decide?  It seems the Keystone is made from aluminum studs vs wood?  Is Forest River also aluminum or wood?  I've heard aluminum is better because there's no wood rot. But wouldn't it rot in the floor vs the studs?

Help me. I'm confused. Thank you.

Carin and Toby the dog

I feel you need to worry more about floor plan than construction techniques. How long an RV lasts depends on how well it is serviced, maintained and treated more than the brand name or construction techniques.

Floor plan is important. You need to think how you will live in it and keep warm etc.

Lots of owner forum's out there which might be useful although remember you are more likely to see negative reviews.

I suggest a good pre deliver inspection on whatever you choose to help avoid major issues. 

I don't think there are any perfect manufacturers out there.

Good luck...

Basically they are the same - both use Lippert or LCI components both are made on an assembly line by people if those people are having a good day they are both good but if Bob had a fight with his wife before he came to work today his workmanship is crap lol

Pick the floor plan you like, the one your vehicle can handle the best, and the one you get the best deal on

Godd luck

The phrase "Between the devil and the deep blue sea" comes to mind. :-\

Ok so I hear you saying pick the floor plan. I believe I have. It's now wood vs aluminum. I think. It's hard to find out info on each one without involving a nosy salesperson.

Thanks I guess. I thought maybe a pro vs con would help.

Carin and Toby the dog

Carin said:
Ok so I hear you saying pick the floor plan. I believe I have. It's now wood vs aluminum. I think. It's hard to find out info on each one without involving a nosy salesperson.

Thanks I guess. I thought maybe a pro vs con would help.
Well both have their pluses and minuses. Wood rots and aluminum is lighter. I have bought many RVs in my life and never once considered the material it was constructed out of in my decision. Most people won't keep their RV long enough for it to make any difference.

Rather than worry about the frame, I would ask what material the roof deck and flooring are made of. I chose a trailer that has marine grade plywood at both those areas rather than pressboard which will swell and disintegrate if it gets wet. No chipboard for me.
Watch this video and start asking questions of both manufacturers. http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/video-built-tough/
and this one  http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/video-four-seasons/

We looked at some Forest River fivers last year and one gripe I had was they have a vent located right on the steps going up to the forward bedroom. Every one we looked as was all beat up where people?s feet hit it going up the steps. Other than that, they had some really sweet floor plans. Some of the haphazard wiring runs and excess use of expando foam made it look a little chintzy, but not enough to make me not want to buy one. Our Keystone has aluminum studs. As stated, wood and aluminum both have good properties in different areas. Aluminum doesn?t like to flex and develops cracks over time. Wood may rot, but if you have water in the area where your studs are you have bigger problems than material of construction. Screws seem to work loose easier in aluminum than wood in my opinion. I personally think all things considered, it?s a wash. Probably why the experienced folks here are saying just pick one you like and don?t worry so much about how they are built. When you look really close, none of the brands are engineering marvels.

Thank you all for the info. I think I'm being anal because I am going to travel and live in it full time and I don't want any hassles. If I have to order the model and options I want  I'm going to request loctite on the screws so they don't work their way out. Lol

Thank you so much.  Again

Carin and Toby the dog

Carin said:
Thank you all for the info. I think I'm being anal because I am going to travel and live in it full time and I don't want any hassles. If I have to order the model and options I want  I'm going to request loctite on the screws so they don't work their way out. Lol

Thank you so much.  Again

Carin and Toby the dog
You need to make sure it's as good as it can be, nothing wrong with that...

Carin said:
First off let me say that if you don't want hassles then do not go RVing. RVing is full of many hassles. Most of which are hard to foresee or prevent. It is good you are doing some research before buying but give up on the idea of it being hassle free.

As Tom said, no RV is trouble free!  Some are better than others.  Good timely maintenance is the best way to avoid issues.  His is permanently parked, and will likely be more trouble free than mine.  Any time a house bounces down the road, issues are bound to surface.  This does not mean to forget about RVing.  It means go in with realistic expectations.

Three things have to match, floor plan, tow vehicle and cost. Of these,  floor plan remains when all else is forgotten of accepted.

The majority of TTs and 5vers are built in or near Elkhart Indiana with the same labor pool, suppliers base and model cost point. Aluminum sides dents, fiberglass sides debond, wood frames rot, aluminum corrodes, steel rusts etc. etc.

As mentioned it is the old Ford vs. Chevy vs. Ram. 

In general there is a reason you play more for a TT with the same features.

In answer to the question, go with the floor plan you like best. 

Thanks for the insights.

They both have the same floor plan. One has a complete covered underbelly. The other only the tanks.

One is wood - one is aluminum. One is thermal package - the other isn't.

They are about the same price.

I'll just go with my gut.

Thanks again!!

Carin and Toby the dog

It's all I have left to go on. Lol

When you're by yourself and seeking info from people and friends, in the long run you do have to go with your gut feeling.

Carin and Toby the dog

Carin said:
It's all I have left to go on. Lol

When you're by yourself and seeking info from people and friends, in the long run you do have to go with your gut feeling.

Carin and Toby the dog

I know what you mean. I usually go with the wife's gut. If it turns out bad it ain't my fault.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom