RV dealers would never lie-- right??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

We've attended a number of large RV shows-- most recently a large one in Tampa Florida last month. Most all of the RVs we were looking at (mostly Class A) had the typical MSRP price with the red slash through it (yeah, right) then the "Show Special" price-- often followed by a couple of exclamation points. I asked some of the dealers if I decided to buy a week after the show would they honor that show special price? They assured me that "Oh no, this price is only available if you sign the papers here at the show" or words to that effect.

I have to admit that I'm pretty cynical-- rightly or wrongly-- when it comes to sales pitches in general. Do you believe these show special prices are just that-- only honored during the show? I imagine there's a number of variables that have a lot to do with it.

They are lying. They just want you to buy it at the show so they don't have to drag it back to the dealership. Call them up today and see if they'll honor the price they told you 2 weeks ago.

I suspect that if you walked in to the dealer with "cash in hand" a week after the show, they would not let you walk out the door with it.

HappyWanderer said:
Would a dealer lie? Only if his lips are moving.
I used to think that also but just this week someone published a glowing report of buying an RV from Lazy Daze in Tampa. So there is hope.

We are first timers who attended 2 shows last fall and 1 this spring. What surprised me was the number of the sales people on the show floor who were not regular employees of the dealers. Just temporary warm bodies wearing a dealership shirt brought in for the show. I understand why the dealers do that.

So I don't know if show sales critters are intentionally lying or are just winging hoping to reel one in.

We are first timers who attended 2 shows last fall and 1 this spring. What surprised me was the number of the sales people on the show floor who were not regular employees of the dealers. Just temporary warm bodies wearing a dealership shirt brought in for the show. I understand why the dealers do that.

So I don't know if show sales critters are intentionally lying or are just winging hoping to reel one in.

If you buy during the show, the extras get their commission. If you wait till after the show to go into the dealer lot, they lose out. So they have incentive to lie.

Pretty much what I expected. Thanks to all who provided their take on the situation!

Rene T said:
They are lying. They just want you to buy it at the show so they don't have to drag it beck to the dealership. Call them up today and see if they'll honor the price they told you 2 weeks ago.

I enjoy the RV shows. I'm a junkie for looking at the doo-dads and gagetry. But I've often wondered how many succumb to the sales pitches I overhear of the show-only price. Unless lucky enough to find exactly what they're looking for, I suspect many end up with an RV that doesn't meet their needs.

Occasionally the RV manufacturers provide the dealer with some show models on a special consignment deal, but that usually occurs only in very large and high profile shows or where they want to introduce a new model.  Dealers like to sell those because they have little or no money tied up in them.  Mostly, though, a dealer's "show special" is just an advertised variant of the price he is willing to discount to if you went to his store and bargained a bit.  It's a rig available on his sales lot and odds are strong that he would accept that price at anytime, and probably even a lower one as well.  You can rest assured he did not come to the RV show expecting to lose money on the sales it generates.

Back
Top Bottom