Looking at a diesel pusher as our first mh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have been looking around at a few motorhomes. Tomorrow I am going to look at a 1996 coachmen 30 foot diesel. looking for something I can camp in, tow a trailer with and go on one long 4-6000 mile trip each summer. It has 60000 miles on it, the tires were replaced last summer and it has been recently serviced. I think I can get it for around $13000 US. Provided it's In Good shape would this be a decent price? It has been safety inspected and is supposedly road ready. The only thing it does not have is a slide out. This sounds like decent deal to me. Too good to be true?

Yes it is too good to be true. A 22 year old motorhome is a money pit and you will have it only as long as you are happy investing time and money into an endless pit. And when you go to sell it you will have a difficult time selling it because it does not have a slide out.

That is a decent price if all checks out.  I disagree that it is automatically a money pit.  I have an 18 year old diesel pusher that is not a money pit at all.  In the six years I've owned it, I've had about $1500 worth of work done on the slide and jack hydraulics.  I had a problem with fuel algae that I was able to solve myself, and I've had a few other minor repairs done (some plumbing and electrical).

I would agree with the statement it will be difficult to resell without a slide.  Of course if you can price it low enough anything can sell, but the pool of people interested in a diesel Class A without any slides is pretty small.  If it were 4 years newer and had at least one slide it would probably sell in the mid $20s.

If you decide you are interested, I would check out a few things: 
(1) Make sure there are no signs of water intrusion, such as staining on the ceiling or walls or bulges on the outside of the walls.  After purchase, make sure all caulked areas are stripped and resealed with fresh caulk.
(2) Have the owner demonstrate ALL systems as functioning, HVAC, water heater, refrigerator, plumbing, etc.  They eventually will break, but you at least want them working to start.
(3)  Have the engine and chassis inspected by a truck shop.  If it's a Cummins engine, go with a Cummins dealer.  If you blow an engine, you might as well scrap it, because installing a rebuilt engine would be well over $20K.

Thanks for the advice. This is about the most we want to spend right now on MH, so I think it will be the biggest bang for our buck.  I have a Diesel mechanic friend who also owns an RV coming with me to look at it tomorrow. We will have a good look at it. Any more advice is more than welcome.

Check the date codes on the tires. It may very well need new tires immediately, and that will run about $3000 if they are 22.5 inch tires.  Even if they look brand new, RV tires rot and fail from lack of use. Anything older than about 2 years old should be replaced.

tires I thought any thing older thain 7 yrs. should be replaced?  D, Brown

dabrown said:
tires I thought any thing older thain 7 yrs. should be replaced?  D, Brown

That is if a tire has been used regularly. By using the tire it circulates the compounds in the tire keeping it pliable. On an RV that has some age on it there is a very good chance that the rig has been sitting for a long time. Tires will often rot and crack on the inside where it is not as visible.  They may also have many small surface cracks on the outside surface as well. 

The issue is going to be how was it maintained, and if the previous owner has addressed all the component age issues.

As a general rule anything made out of rubber on an RV has a 12-15 year maximum life expectancy, this includes belts, hoses, bushings, etc.  There are a lot of these rubber bits, not just the obvious drive belt and radiator hose, but also rubber brake lines, fuel lines, suspension bushings, suspension air bags,  etc.      Also most RV major appliances like air conditioners, refrigerators, etc. tend to also have about a 15 year average life, so if those are original don't expect muc more life from them, ...

Well gonna have to pass on this unit. This thing is rough.  7 large cracks in the drivers side fibreglass. The roof has had some sort of rubber coating painted on it which is now peeling. Looks like the roof had a small leak at some point. A lot of the exterior rubber has been painted with the same stuff as the roof. The oil pan looks like it is almost rusted through. According to the date codes on 4 of the 6 tires I got the following. 51/2012 08/2010 22/2010 05/2013. No idea why the date codes are all over the place. Not a total loss. Got to visit with my parents for a while and my mechanic friend bought a house while we were here! Learned a lot today, the search continues!

Back
Top Bottom