Tire Pressure System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone use a tire pressure system for you camper? If so what kind do you have?  I have been looking at this and thinking it would not be a bad idea to have.

Many here do, and you should too.  While driving, there is no practical way to detect low or even flat tires on the trailer without one.  Brand name is no longer much of a concern - the various systems have pretty much become a stable commodity.  Everybody has their favorite ( the one they bought) and some reasons why they chose it, but most of them boil down to just personal preference.

I would suggest that you go with one that also provides temp readings as well as PSI. Ours caught a dragging brake that way and would have alerted us to a dry bearing if we?d have been paying closer attention.  Money well spent, IMHO.

I have a TST brand TPMS.  It is really cheap insurance.  Today's cars have a SIMPLE system that will alert you if a tire gets low pressure.  It does not tell you which tire or how low.  There is no way to set the alarm point.

On most TPMS, they will display data for each tire - Pressure and temp in real time.  You set alarm points for low AND high pressure AND high temp.  When it alarms, you know which tire, actual pressure and temp.  This is a must have item!

Patnsuzanne said:
I would suggest that you go with one that also provides temp readings as well as PSI. Ours caught a dragging brake that way and would have alerted us to a dry bearing if we?d have been paying closer attention.  Money well spent, IMHO.

That's what I am worried about the most is a bearing going. I think I will look one that has temp too. Thank you all for putting in your 2 cents worth. I always like hearing what others are doing.

The one that I have is a TireMinder brand.....the TireMinder Smart TPMS.  It does pressure and temperature, let's you put in your set points, as well as monitoring for a leak.  The thing that sold me on it is the fact that you don't need a dedicated monitor for it.  In fact, it doesn't come with a monitor per se'.  You download their app. For your smart phone and the app and your phone is your monitor.  Just one less thing pasted to the windshield of my tow vehicle

We've had three.  A SmartTire - total crap!  A Hawkshead -OK but prone to false alerts.  It was a rebranded TST.  Poor range on the transmitters.  And an EEZRV - easiest to set up, excellent transmitter range, no false alerts, good display and excellent support from the company.

Guess which I like best.

TST, Truck Systems Technology is a dependable brand and won't break the bank.
I would call them and describe what your needs are and then google so you can find the best price.

Stan

Another vote for TST. We've used their model 507 with 10 sensors for the past 4 years, and their 510 system before that. The 507 has user replaceable batteries, pressure/temp readings, and user settable alarm triggers. The low cost batteries last at least a year in full time use, are available almost anywhere, and only take a few minutes to change. We have never had a false alarm, and TST's customer service is excellent.

One thing to be aware of when choosing a TPMS is whether the sensors are always live, or do they go dormant after a period with no motion. If they go dormant, you will not get current readings when you first start out, and may not be aware of a problem until you're already on the highway. With live sensors, you'll get readings shortly after turning on the monitor, which can be even before you start the engine. TST and some others supply live sensors that transmit normal readings every few minutes, and rapid changes in readings immediately. The only time the sensors turn off is when they are removed from the tires.

We had a Pressure Pro system, one of their original models. Bought it in 2004 and moved it to another coach in 2007, and it was still working fine when we sold the coach in late 2016.  Since the PP system does not have replaceable batteries, we had gradually replaced sensors in 2011-2012.

xrated said:
The one that I have is a TireMinder brand.....the TireMinder Smart TPMS.  It does pressure and temperature, let's you put in your set points, as well as monitoring for a leak.  The thing that sold me on it is the fact that you don't need a dedicated monitor for it.  In fact, it doesn't come with a monitor per se'.  You download their app. For your smart phone and the app and your phone is your monitor.  Just one less thing pasted to the windshield of my tow vehicle

I like the idea of an app. One thing I don't like is **** on my dash.  Do you have to have the app up and running or will it alert no matter what?

I have used a TPMS for a year and it is a good investment in my opinion. The brand (TST) I have will support up to 22 tire sensors.  It uses the external valve stem sensors without pass through.  I had metal valve stems installed when I had new tires mounted.  I had heard that the flexible rubber stems sometimes did not work well with the external sensors.  The system gives peace of mind when on the road as the monitor gives a continuous report on tire pressures and temperatures.  If any tire goes out of the user set range of temperature or pressure, the monitor sounds an alarm to immediately let me know there is a problem. I have enough crap apps on my phone and a dash monitor is fine for me.

I bought a EEZ Tire RV 10 sensor system last spring https://amzn.to/2Ilr3QW prior to a round the USA trip 13k+ miles.  Glad I did as I had two leaky inner dual wheel valve stems one not long after I purchased the TPMS, and the other 8 months later.  Either could have easily been a disaster.  My local tire dealer said I was lucky to catch them.  Quite often when the inner tire looses air all the weight transfers to the outer tire and it blows taking out lots of fiberglass and wiring around it. He told me he sees that scenario often.  He doesn't sell TPMS systems.  -Bill 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom