Plumbing question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

I notice that all of the faucets and shower in my bath have nice power but the kitchen faucet is week. Do you think its the faucet itself or might it be something else?

Thanks

SeilerBird said:
Check the inside of the spigot to see if the filter is clogged.

That's called the aerator. It'll unscrew from the faucet just like the one in the s-n-b. Some have a screen in them, some are just little plastic "buttons" about the size of a dime with a hole in it about the size a of tooth pick. Sometimes, I'll just pop the disc out and it'll give you full flow.

Is the kitchen faucet one where the "Arm" pulls out and is also a sprayer?

IF NOT the aireator (What the water comes out of) may need cleaning

IF it is. then there is a vacuum breaker somewhere.. Often in the "Base" of the "Arm" where the hose attaches.  It can "Lime up" and need cleaning.  or replacing, it can be easily removed from the handle.

John From Detroit said:
Is the kitchen faucet one where the "Arm" pulls out and is also a sprayer?

IF NOT the aireator (What the water comes out of) may need cleaning

IF it is. then there is a vacuum breaker somewhere.. Often in the "Base" of the "Arm" where the hose attaches.  It can "Lime up" and need cleaning.  or replacing, it can be easily removed from the handle.

This is what mine is. I've had it apart several times to clean it. Now that you mention it, you're right, it should have a vacuum breaker somewhere, and I've never seen it. You don't suppose it could actually be on the other end of the flex hose where it attaches to the base of the faucet?  Seems to me it would make the most sense at the base. So as to "break" right at the manifold/mixing portion of the faucet.

I know I said vacuum breaker but it is the other alternative, a Check Valve.. that is in the "Wand" portion.. And in all the faucets I've worked on at least 3 different makes, that is where I found it.

Where the hose connects to the wand.  and again, I apologize for saying Vacuum breaker, it is a check valve.

John From Detroit said:
I know I said vacuum breaker but it is the other alternative, a Check Valve.. that is in the "Wand" portion.. And in all the faucets I've worked on at least 3 different makes, that is where I found it.

Where the hose connects to the wand.  and again, I apologize for saying Vacuum breaker, it is a check valve.

I guess it's the little rubber flapper on the end where it screws on. BUT, it really should be a vacuum breaker.:)

NO, a vacuum breaker in that position would not work,, WHY

The formal job is "Anti-Siphon Device"  a check valve works 100% but a vacuum breaker, If the entire wand was under water, would still siphon.. So they use a check vavle..

And yes, it can be just a rubber flapper.  On the ones I Have seen it was a cartridge.

Is yours a newer faucet? We just replaced our kitchen faucet. I got one with a sprayer that comes out of the faucet itself. It does the same thing. Very little pressure. I think its the way it is made though, cause Ive heard of others who have newer faucets and they do the same thing.

Newer faucets have flow restrictors built in, to limit the flow to a reasonable rate with normal household water pressure.  RVs have less water pressure so you wind up with low flow.

Usually they're just a disk with a small hole punched in the middle.  Sometimes you can take them out,if not you can drill out the hole to a larger size to get more flow.

On several RV faucets, over the years,  I have removed the aerator, soaked it in vinegar overnight and then re-installed it. The vinegar cleared out all the gunk and it worked beautifully afterwards.  ;D

Lou Schneider said:
Newer faucets have flow restrictors built in, to limit the flow to a reasonable rate with normal household water pressure.  RVs have less water pressure so you wind up with low flow.

Usually they're just a disk with a small hole punched in the middle.  Sometimes you can take them out,if not you can drill out the hole to a larger size to get more flow.

On Moen "pull down" faucets the flow restrictor sits in the back end of the aerator.  Our new kitchen faucet had an annoyingly slow flow rate.  I removed the restrictor and the flow increased to the rate I was expecting.

I replaced my Fake Delta (about 10 years old) with a Price-Fister about 2-3 years ago as I recall.

The only issue was the hot water line pre-installed on the faucet was shorter so I had to do a bit of plumbing to get things to mate up.. No restrictor that I've noticed.

Don't know if they started putting 'em in  Of course I might have "Accidently" removed one.  I do that with shower heads often.

John From Detroit said:
Don't know if they started putting 'em in  Of course I might have "Accidently" removed one.  I do that with shower heads often.

It may be required that all faucets sold have such restrictors, but I doubt there's much that anyone can do about those anti-social individuals who choose to remove them.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom