Squirrel Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natetheskate

A squirrel got into my coach by chewing through the screen for the fridge chimney, then chewed up a bunch of wiring, plus a large chunk of the styrofoam on the fridge itself.  Then gnawed through the wall and got into the interior.  On the styrofoam, what can I use to replace it with?  I was thinking of using that expandable foam - Great Stuff - that you can get at Home Depot, but if someone has a better idea, I'll go with that.

Squirrels are very cute, but they can be such destructive Little Critters!

Though I have never dealt with this particular problem, I think your solution of using urethane foam to replace the insulation is a good one.

I am wondering about the entry point on the fridge vent. Does that fridge vent not have a metal screen? If it doesn't, then I would suggest you replace it with one that has a metal screen.

You are correct, it does have a metal screen on the fridge vent.  The squirrel chewed right through it.  But, I discovered it was made of aluminum.  It has been repaired with a steel screen, which should keep it out.

Maybe

I had squirrels get into a wooden garden shed that I had up against the back of my house. The only thing that stopped them, was chicken wire around the perimeter. I think you have the right idea putting steel mesh around your fridge vent.

My fridge vent has a plastic cap over the top as well. Did the squirrel chew through that as well to gain access to the aluminum screen?

No, just squeezed past the plastic cap and helped herself to the wire mesh.  Good for digestion, I suppose.

We had a similar experience with our first TT.  Ugh what a mess, I surely sympathize.
Sort out the damaged wiring, use metal screen, but use care with the spray-in foam insulation.  It can expand lots more than you might expect or want.  Suggest a minimally-expanding foam, such as that designed for doors and windows, and use several applications over as many days as required to achieve the degree of fill you seek without causing bulges and damage to interior/exterior walls.

Because I saw it go in, plus it had two babies, and then it died in the space between the wall and the fridge.

Natetheskate said:
Because I saw it go in, plus it had two babies, and then it died in the space between the wall and the fridge.
I was waiting on you saying "because it was lounging on a chair watching TV and drinking wine".??

Sorry you've had a problem hope it's not too painful getting the mess sorted out.

Don't try to get rid of the squirrels on your own. You'll only make things worse. It is better to contact people who are professionals in this business. When I had a similar situation, I did so. I had rats in my attic for a while. At night, they scratched and gnawed at the wires. I couldn't handle them myself, so I turned to https://treasure-coast.aaacwildliferemoval.com/. The guys are real professionals in their field. They were able to catch all the rats that were in our house within an hour (we had 4 rats).

Don't try to get rid of the squirrels on your own. You'll only make things worse. It is better to contact people who are professionals in this business. When I had a similar situation, I did so. I had rats in my attic for a while. At night, they scratched and gnawed at the wires. I couldn't handle them myself, so I turned to Wildlife Removal Treasure Coast | AAAC Wildlife Removal - Trap, Repair. The guys are real professionals in their field. They were able to catch all the rats that were in our house within an hour (we had 4 rats).
Why didn’t anyone tell me about this some months ago?!

Back
Top Bottom