FMCA road assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJohn

It?s time to renew my Coach-Net plan. They are offering a $10 discount this week. So a renewal wii cost $159. FMCA has a plan for $69. I compared and on the surface I cannot find a significant difference. I have had Coach-Net for many years and have been happy. I hate to leave but a $90 savings is a pretty big draw. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

One of the biggest items to consider is how many outlets each provider contracts with to provide service. I have had to use Coach Net twice, and both times providers were there at scene within an hour. 

I'll agree with SargeW but I think most road service providers deal with the same set of local road service companies (towing, tires, etc). Even if they don't have a formal agreement with them, they may contact them as an alternate.

No matter what dispatching service you contract with, they are all at the mercy of the local providers wherever you happen to be when a breakdown occurs. You will see "horror stories" about them all.  Some areas have very few providers and maybe not very competent either. Other areas are extremely busy and there will likely be delays at peak times, sometimes hours.  Another common complaint is high fees for extra services or purchases, e.g. a tire brought to the site. The service dispatching company has no control over that.  Besides, you can hardly expect to get discount pricing when you are stranded on the side of the road on Sunday night!

Does the FMCA plan have folks that try to talk one through issues like Coach-Net? Asking out of ignorance, since I haven't looked at FMCA's plan details.

One thing to remember: those extras, e.g.  "concierge services" and "technical assistance" are a substantial cost factor in the service. If you want extra hand-holding, it's gonna cost you.  Personally, I'd rather have basic towing and tire change insurance at a lower price.

I understand that, but some folks may want it. I just didn't know if FMCA had that type of technical support or not.

FMCA road assistance does provide technical assistance. The plan is from Roadsafe. If menory serves me, I think Coach-Net used roadsafe until a couple years ago. I could be wrong, just ask DW.

FWIW I called my insurance carrier ( Auto Owners ) to see if they had roadside coverage. I found: I need towing coverage to have them tow vehicle if involved in accident,  towing ins on my MH & car was not included in my basic coverage and was an additional $12. Towing insurance includes many of the items provided by Coach-Net and others. Others on this forum have pointed out that Coach-Net and others won?t tow a vehicle involved in an accident. Just passing along info. The coverage offered by ins policy is limited, in my case to 250 per event. Last time my MH was towed Coach-Net paid more than $1000.

Seems odd, BigJohn.  Never heard of collision coverage that did not include towing to a body shop if the vehicle is disabled in an accident, but I guess some policies might exclude that. Folks ought to check their policy to be sure and buy the inexpensive towing coverage if needed..

Gary I think you are right. I read my policy ( yawn ) and while not addressed directly towing was not in the list of items the policy will not pay. I either misheard the answer or asked the wrong question. For $12 I think I?ll keep the towing policy. Back to the original issue, I?m going to switch to FMCA road service. For me all I really want is towing and tire repair. I get good technical support from Winnebago. Thanks to all for the good advice.

Vehicle policies cover towing a disabled vehicle for two reasons:

1. You are legally liable for removing the vehicle from the highway. If you don't have it towed, the police will and you still have to pay. Thus, your liability coverage has to provide at least for towing off the highway to a storage facility.

2. Collision and Comprehensive coverage pays to restore the vehicle condition to the state prior to the damage. The covered repairs can't be done roadside, so it has to go to a shop and towing to the body repair shop is part of that process.

What would typically not be paid by liability/collision/comp is towing for mechanical disablement (because that is not a covered repair) or towing to some place other than a repair facility.  However, most policies cover towing to temporary protective storage until a repair shop can be selected and the vehicle moved there.

Roadside service & towing policies cover towing for reasons other than accident damage.

Back
Top Bottom