Old Rig with Radiused Hatches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

My 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial 5th Wheel, 36 feet, came with four opening hatches with fans with broken blades save for one.

I searched all over creation in person and online for weeks for the fan blade replacements as all motors work.  Even contacted original company which has been bought and sold several times and no longer makes the motors or the blades.

The only one that works in the bathroom seems pretty ineffective.

I had a Fantastic Vent with remote in the motorhome I sold. Would love to put one or two of those in the rig, well 4 if I could afford it but there is a huge problem.

The roof over the bed where one hatch lives is flat, other 3 are on a slope.

Roof to ceiling is very thick due to AC ducting and padded vinyl ceiling.

At some point someone put Max Air covers over all hatches because the new hatch covers are frighteningly expensive from a retro vintage company.

Anyhow... Fantastic Vent is square and my hatches have radiused corners.

Roof is aluminum.

Is there any workaround this situation?

Great air flow without extreme expense?

See pic of current hatch design.

Attachments

• hatch with radiused corners.JPG
    hatch with radiused corners.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 35
Would the link below be of any help for getting new fan blades? I realize these are aluminum and not plastic, but that shouldn't make a difference.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#fans/=1bv5jxd

What are the dimensions of the existing hatches?  If they're close to 14" square, I'd remove them, enlarge the openings to that size and install Fantastic Fans.

You may just have radius cut wood at the corners - if so, it should be fairly easy to make the corners square.  Pop off the interior trim and take a look - there should be screws under those 4 caps.

The standard roof vent and the fantastic fan both take the same size hole.

I would guess that the standard fan blade from most any modern fan will fit, Not 100% sure though try ONE first.

I replaced the inerffective vents with 4 large "Computer" type fans in each of the two roof vents I have, Much more air flow.

I'm thinking kdbgoat and John might have something. Rather than attempt a Fantastic Fan conversion, look into replacing the current fan with a new motor and blades that are much larger (closer to the size of the opening). Likely to be much, much cheaper than a FF, and could be as simple as removing the old motor and installing new. You'd have to pay attention to fan diameter as well as blade thickness (i.e., the vertical room required for blades and motor) but I'll bet there's a million places to buy such things. You could probably even find some that would accept a speed control knob that you could install either at the existing switch or up at the fan. I wouldn't just put new blades on the exisiting motor as I think there's a potential for overheating the motor with a higher than design load.

The end result may not have the features of the highest end FF (remote control, motorized cover, temp and rain sensor, etc) but it could accomplish your stated goal of great airflow without extreme expense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom