politics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
I love that line Scott. I may steal it from you. ;D

Feel free, you'd be stealing from the thief: I "borrowed" it from a sticker I bought. I love how, in just four words, it conveys a commentary on an approach to life and interaction with others, plus a love of dogs.

SeilerBird said:
Anyone who thinks they can change someone's opinion on politics, religion or guns with an online argument is way too stupid to be believed.

I wouldn't say stupid, maybe just naive. I miss the days, a looong time ago, when one could have an earnest and even pointed political discussion and both "sides" actually listened and considered the opposing thoughts - and occasionally might even say "you know, I hadn't thought about that" or "I see your point". Those days are long gone. I don't know what has caused us all to harden our positions so much, but we all have (I include myself). I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I don't believe I know more than a couple people that I could have one of the old type of conversations with. At best, even if they're cordial, once of us seems to come away with a "ah, that's what they think about (fill in contentious issue)". It's so tiresome. And sad really, because those conversations could be really interesting and engaging.

On a related issue, another thing I dislike about the internet, and the media in general, is the near total concentration on negativity. And this behavior is easy to get caught up in. What I mean by that is the spreading of negative news that serves no purpose. When a bus runs off a cliff in some distant locale, it serves no positive interest to start a "100 dead in bus accident" thread. I'm sad it happened, wish it hadn't, can't do anything about it. It doesn't make anybody's day better by even bringing it up, so why do it? When you hear that news, presumably you're already affected, stop there, don't spread the negativity. One of my favorite quotes is from Eleanor Roosevelt: "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

SeilerBird said:
Thank you for that Tony. That is two of the offenders who have now apologized so this thread is having a positive effect. This thread will be a great response to anyone in the future that starts to talk about politics or guns.

It goes both ways Tom,  I'm still waiting for you to apologize for calling me a BSer and liar....(do you remember ? )

I told you that Remington arms has filed for bankruptcy because of a sudden decrease of sales since Trumps election...you called me a total liar.

It's okay,    I knew you would never look it up on Google or Snopes and get back to me. 

TonyDtorch said:
It goes both ways Tom,  I'm still waiting for you to apologize for calling me a liar.

I told you that Remington arms has filed for bankruptcy because of a sudden decrease of sales since Trumps election...you called me a total liar.  I knew you would never look it up on Snopes and come back to me.
I believe that it filed for bankruptcy, that is indisputable. The part I called you out on dealt with the fact that it was caused because of Trump being elected.

"The company has approximately $950 million in debt, aggravated in part by millions in product liability claims it has paid over the years."

I am sorry you were offend but you were wrong.

Keep reading and you will read a quote from the CEO of Remington.

here..is one article ...https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/02/13/remington-bankruptcy-plan-new-wound-americas-oldest-gunmaker/332888002/

I'll post some more.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/12/gunmaker-remington-filing-for-bankruptcy/

Are you one of those guys that gets all of your news from the Jimmy Kimmel show .... :D

Folks, it's time to take your personal differences to PM or email. We/I have no desire to watch you duke it out, taking this topic downhill. Thanks.

I'm not mad at anyone, I kinda like Tom , he's weird, but he liked Linda Ronstadt    ...so how bad can he be..... 8)

whether it's Guns, politics, or RVs,  I still try to learn new things everyday......If I'm wrong about something I think I already know... I would like someone to call me on it.

Thank you Tom and everyone else.

SeilerBird said:
Anyone who thinks they can change someone's opinion on politics, religion or guns with an online argument is way too stupid to be believed.

Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

"Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago, my mother used to say to me, she'd say "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me. "  -- Jimmy Stewart in the movie "Harvey"

One of my favorite movies  :) ;)

Sun2Retire said:
No need to wait. Discussions regarding guns, other than perhaps where to find specific rules etc, falls under political discussions which is covered in the Forum Rules agreed to by all members.

So now any mention of guns is considered political?  I only say that because many of us carry weapons in our RVs and, at times, like to discuss them or ask questions of a general nature.

Bill N said:
So now any mention of guns is considered political?  I only say that because many of us carry weapons in our RVs and, at times, like to discuss them or ask questions of a general nature.

Please re-read my earlier post:

"Discussions such as what the rules are for state-to-state carry, and where to find various publications are informative, non-controversial and comply with Forum rules. Discussions regarding whether guns are necessary, wise, should be legal, etc etc do not comply with the rules."

Has anybody read shoGUN?

Okay, maybe I need to book more billable hours to stay off-line and, yes, I am a newbie here but...  Sheesh people!  Can't we grow a little bit of a hide? We're beginning to sound like a bunch of retired folk who have nothing better to do than type arguments. This is a great forum for getting an education about something I think we all love.  It's a stinkin' shame that the division in our country is so patterned here too.

I was disappointed that real RV related questions got locked due to the political debate the ensued. :(
Like the ones about RV parks and national parks and the government shutdown.

Oldgator ... If you've retired twice then you are much smarter than I.  Been self-employed too long to retire yet though I am beyond the age ... IF you do argue squared, one of them has to be on my behalf.  ;D

Now might be a good time to move on from this discussion  ???

:))  I've always loved the way you gently chide us into behaving ourselves.  Best moderator on the internet!  :)

Thanks Margi, although I don't always live up to that standard  :-[

Thanks to our esteemed administrator I have been made aware of the "Ignore Post" feature of the board.  I decided to use it for one poster and it works perfectly and my blood pressure dropped 20 points.  Try it if you have a poster or two that just trip your trigger every time you see their post.  By the way, I am not kidding about that blood pressure thing. 

Bill

Back
Top Bottom