Replace standard Atwood Magic Chef oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

The original equipment Magic Chef oven / stove top in our 2010 Arctic Fox trailer is annoying. It is the standard 3 burner Piezo start unit that comes in most RVs.

The Piezo starter makes a racket to begin with, and has now quit. The oven has to be lit with a barbecue lighter, and it is almost impossible to see to light it. I'm getting too old for this head down butt up posture trying to get it lit.

Does anyone make a decent quality drop-in replacement that has electronic start for oven and burners?

Thanks

There are several posts on various RV forums from folks that have modified their RV stove/oven using an after market electronic igniter system sold as a replacement for BBQ grills. I installed a kit from Walmart on our Atwood Wedgewood Vision stove to replace the noisy piezo factory ignitor. The kit came with enough parts to do the oven, as well as the three top burners. To see if the oven pilot was lit, I attached a small stainless steel camping mirror to the bottom of the oven, making it easy to see the flame reflected.

And, if you set the oven temperature knob to a temperature instead of Pilot while lighting, the pilot gets a continuous flow of gas so you don't have to hold the knob in while lighting.

The pilot flame lights immediately, then the main flame comes on after the thermocouple heats up.  So you have enough time to get your arm out of the way of the main flame.

Lou Schneider said:
And, if you set the oven temperature knob to a temperature instead of Pilot while lighting, the pilot gets a continuous flow of gas so you don't have to hold the knob in while lighting.

The pilot flame lights immediately, then the main flame comes on after the thermocouple heats up.  So you have enough time to get your arm out of the way of the main flame.

I just tried your instructions.  I can't get mine to do that.  Once one forces the temperature dial past the pilot position, no gas flows at all.  Not to the pilot, and not to the burner.  That is what I would expect as a safety feature.

Frank.

NY_Dutch said:
There are several posts on various RV forums from folks that have modified their RV stove/oven using an after market electronic igniter system sold as a replacement for BBQ grills. I installed a kit from Walmart on our Atwood Wedgewood Vision stove to replace the noisy piezo factory ignitor. The kit came with enough parts to do the oven, as well as the three top burners. To see if the oven pilot was lit, I attached a small stainless steel camping mirror to the bottom of the oven, making it easy to see the flame reflected.

So, you hold in the oven temperature dial in the pilot position, then hit the ignitor?  Then you continue to hold in the oven temp dial until the thermocouple gets hot?  The idea of the metal mirror is brilliant!

I may also have to consider whether the gas flow to the pilot is adjustable.  We get such a tiny flame from the pilot that it takes forever for it to heat up the thermocouple.

Frank.

Frank B said:
So, you hold in the oven temperature dial in the pilot position, then hit the ignitor?  Then you continue to hold in the oven temp dial until the thermocouple gets hot?  The idea of the metal mirror is brilliant!

I may also have to consider whether the gas flow to the pilot is adjustable.  We get such a tiny flame from the pilot that it takes forever for it to heat up the thermocouple.

Frank.

Yep, that's how it's done. Just as with the piezo, all of the burners spark at the same time. The oven igniter sure saves a lot on my 75 year old knees...  ;)

Some oven pilots are adjustable at the oven control, while others are fixed. Even within the same model, different types of valves have been used over the years. You might try moving the thermocouple a little closer to the pilot flame to see if that helps.

The issue is also the minuscule size of the pilot flame. I'll see if it is adjustable. Thanks for the information.

It still wouldn't break my heart to replace it with a better unit altogether, however. If something better is even available.

We use a BBQ lighter with a flexible wand.  Even my bad ears can hear the flame catch.  Never needed a mirror but it's not a bad idea.

The piezo ignitors are easy to replace and not very expensive.  I've replaced several over the years.  Once you pull the knob off it's obvious how to remove the plastic assembly.

Atwood makes a series of RV stove/ovens that have sealed burners and optional electronic ignition.  This Atwood brochure shows the sealed burner models:
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/ranges.pdf

Gary:

I'll have to check that out more carefully. There are units that have electronic ignition for the stove top, but not necessarily for the oven pilot.

In searching the web, it would appear that I am not the only one that is looking for a unit with an electronic ignition pilot in the oven.

Tks.

Frank.

Back
Top Bottom