Hooking TV to TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepbill

What do you use to line up your hitch to the tongue?  I thought about getting this  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TN1G5T/?coliid=I3JFOK2UGV78GP&colid=22SMKLFF6Q94P&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it  but wanted to see what others were using.  I have an add on backup camera to my truck with a small screen in the rear view mirror but can not really see the tongue and hitch.

Wow.  Neat camera, but dang, that price.  I have a factory backup camera in my truck now (which doesn't do me any good with a 5th wheel!!), but before that, I used reference points on my truck bed cover, and guessed at the distance.  And if my wife was willing, she would also provide some hand signals.  They were usually pretty good, but could get pretty funny (you had to be there <gigglesnort>).  It would normally take me a trip or three to check distance and alignment, but I counted it as my exercise. 

I have toyed with the idea of trying to use some of my old iPhones, but I can't ever find quite the right app to use to connect the two.  One day I might succeed.

Our current truck has a backup camera built in, but we added one to my Subaru that I used to tow a utility trailer. Inexpensive and very handy. It was mounted on the license cover, and it drew power from a backup light. It certainly wasn?t as sophisticated as the one you linked to, but it worked great. We also put reflective tape on the hitch coupler, both on the Subie and the truck. It made it much easier to line everything up.

UTTransplant said:
We also put reflective tape on the hitch coupler, both on the Subie and the truck. It made it much easier to line everything up.

I painted a white cross on my coupler, really helps in low light conditions.

What is your TV?  It may stimulate ideas.

I just learned reference points on the truck (that nick inside the tailgate, 2" left of center) and DW told me how far back.  Also use GOAL.  If you can see the ball and hitch, marking like white paint definitely helps!

grashley said:
What is your TV?  It may stimulate ideas.

I just learned reference points on the truck (that nick inside the tailgate, 2" left of center) and DW told me how far back.  Also use GOAL.  If you can see the ball and hitch, marking like white paint definitely helps!

It's a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3l extended cab.

I mounted this on my '07 Silverado Ext Cab since '07. I only turn it on when connecting the boat or enclosed trailer.

Also installed two cameras with one monitor on my Itasca 27' Class C.  One on the rear bumper to connect boat, the second at roof high to monitor what's behind me.

Each vehicle connected to a toggle switch for on/off.  The MH has an a/b switch to view each camera.  Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073NZQTQN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Raise the tongue a bit higher than the ball and then back up to it until you hear a crash as the tongue smashes the license plate.

Then pull forward about three inches. Get out and lower the tongue onto the ball.  You can push the tongue sideways a few inchs if it isn't centered. 

Don't need no stinkin camera or fancy doodad stuff........

Where's the guy with the tennis balls on the magnetic poles?  "When the balls kiss, you're there"  That post still cracks me up every time I think about it.

Old_Crow said:
Where's the guy with the tennis balls on the magnetic poles?  "When the balls kiss, you're there"  That post still cracks me up every time I think about it.
We actually used that approach on our Casita, and I used it for a while with my Subaru and utility trailer. It works, but the sticks are a pain to store. Plus, like Old_Crow, folks laugh  ;D

I also have a back up camera and had trouble seeing the ball and coupler in shade or evening.

I painted the coupler and ball mount florescent orange and it makes a huge difference. Plus people don't run into the mount any more.

Stepbill,
In case you did not recognize the reference, "tennis balls" mounted on a 2 or 3 ft long pole with a magnet on the base of each pole.  One pole mounted between license plate and ball, one mounted on coupler.  Back up to align balls until they touch.  This method works well if you have decent depth perception.

Between the lines, while I had the pop up, my license plate came from DMV with wrinkles!

UTTransplant said:
We actually used that approach on our Casita, and I used it for a while with my Subaru and utility trailer. It works, but the sticks are a pain to store. Plus, like Old_Crow, folks laugh  ;D

I wasn't laughing at the use of the sticks and balls, it was his double entendre that cracked me up.  With my Jeep and utility trailer I always used the "back up 'til you hit something" method.

I use Camco's "kissing balls" $20 magnetic rod setup to hook up our utility trailer to our SUV. Works great, and the telescoping rods are easy to store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007772HG4/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom