EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Toll tags and RVs?  (Read 1638 times)

cadee2c

• ---
  • Follow your arrow wherever it points
Toll tags and RVs?
« on: March 07, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
Does anyone know if the TX tag, EZ tag, and Ktag are ok to use on RVs? I checked on the TXtag site but couldn't find anything specific to RVs.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

May the Llama of Happiness forever spit in your direction

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
Re: Toll tags and RVs?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:34:20 PM »
It should be fine.  The toll booths count axles...well, they have cameras that count the axles.  I asked about this when pulling my trailer(s), and they said the tag goes on the primary vehicle, and when it goes through the toll booth (or over whatever they have...some are overhead sensors/cameras now), the camera will count the axles and charge appropriately.    Plus, when you add a vehicle to your account, you specify what type it is.  One of the selections is "Bus".  Which I suppose equates to a Class A vehicle.  They also have "Trailer" as a selection, but I was told I did not need one for my TT or 5th wheel.  Or other trailers I towed (I have a utility trailer).  The camera would take care of the additional axles.

Hope this overly long answer helps you.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Randy328

• ---
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
Some of them will automatically identify the tag of the tow vehicle and then also read axles, some plazas don't. I got a letter in the mail from the Houston system using the trailer license plate wanting the fee, even though it charged me for the truck (regular rate) which had a tag.

I called them, I got issued a tag for the trailer, which they said I didn't have to put on, just put it in the trailer. It now links to the license plate as a two-axle trailer.

Happened again with a 1-axle utility trailer, so I got a tag for it, too.

So, I now have 5 tags - truck, car, motorcycle, toy hauler, and utility trailer.
2015 Ford F250
2016 KZ MXT2920
Bunch of motorcycles
German Shepherd "Qorkey"

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 07:32:19 AM »
At least in Illinois, where we live, RVs are fine.  You just add it to your account when you get the tag, including your license plate.  IIRC, you select RV when you do this. 

I can point out one important thing - with the cabover bunk in our class C, mounting the transponder on the windshield behind the mirror (standard mounting location) sometimes blocks the signal, which really, really stinks at toll plazas with gates!  I now have it stuck to the center of the dash, right against the windshield, and it's been working consistently fine.
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

_Rusty_

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 01:44:56 PM »
never had to pay more than $0.25 or $0.50 into the bucket.... will these toll booths take checks or ccards if the amount is big?  wouldn't get much use from ezpass until we retire in couple years, so I don't know if there is an annual fee or not.
bill & ilean
2004 Tiffen Allegro Bay 37db
Workhorse 8.1/Allison 1000
Near Punxsutawney, PA
(for now)

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 02:37:57 PM »
never had to pay more than $0.25 or $0.50 into the bucket.... will these toll booths take checks or ccards if the amount is big?  wouldn't get much use from ezpass until we retire in couple years, so I don't know if there is an annual fee or not.

I don't know of any toll booths that accept anything but cash or EZPass, but I've certainly not hit them all.

It's called "IPass" in Illinois, and is compatible with all EZPass lanes.  There's no annual fee.  You pay around $50 for the transponder, and I think $40 or so of that goes into your account for toll use.  You can, and I do, set it up to automatically replenish by charging the credit card associated with the account when the account balances goes beneath, say, $10.  You can also opt out of auto-replenish and do it manually.  At least in IL, there is a blue and an amber light at each toll booth.  Blue means "you're good", and amber means "balance low", so you know when it's time to replenish.

AFAIK, neither IPass nor EZPass works with SunPass in FL or whatever the system in TX is called. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:31:21 AM by FunSteak »
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 04:14:08 PM »
Ezpass will not work in Fla. Sunpass only here, Iím afraid. We used an EZ Pass all through New England this fall pulling our trailer without a problem.
Venture Sporttrek 27RL
2016 Toyota Tundra extended cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Eez TPMS

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
Speaking of tolls. Just saw a receipt for a toll crossing the GW bridge, NJ for a MH....$84.00.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 05:59:30 PM »

The easiest thing to do, at least in Texas, is get the TX Tag.  The tag itself costs nothing, and they'll mail it to you.  All you have to do is open an account with some money in it.  It's even easier to link it to a card or bank account.  Then when it hits a certain level, it will automatically fill the till, so to speak (to your designated amount...I did $35.00 fill, $10.00 threshhold).  If you don't use it, it just sits there.  It will sit there until you either use it, or close the account (then they will refund it).  Since I have 60 percent Disabled Vet rating, almost all the tolls in Texas are no charge for me.  My account has been at $34.00 for two or three years now.  If you don't use it often, no worries.  It'll be there when you do.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »
Just FYI. North Carolina's Quick Pass works with Florida's Sun Pass and EZ Pass. Don't know about what Texas system  accepts.  I heard (read) that all states' toll systems are supposed to be interoperable sometime in the future.  I don't know when that is.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

Yonder

• ---
  • Northwest Montana (hard to leave in the summer)
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:50 PM »
Has anybody heard of making all toll passes accepted nationally?  What a concept.  Montana doesn't have them (one of our blessings!) but we travel to SF Bay area on business with enough frequency that I have one for there (Fastrak) that I carry in the Coach. Sure would be great to have it work going through Denver and so on.
Yonder & BabyCakes + Missy & Shadow - (The Aussies)
2008 Itasca Horizon 40TD, 425 HP Cummins
2006 HD Ultra Glide (towed on an Aluma, MC1F folding trlr)
'79 Ford F250 4x4 Manual Tranny (DD)

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 06:30:52 PM »
There was talk of a nation-wide EZ Pass system, but it has yet to happen.

Indiana accepts credit cards, at least they did last time I was out there.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »
The MAP-21 law passed 2012 called for a unified electronic tolling system by Oct 1, 2016, but obviously that deadline has come and gone. The article linked below will give you some idea of the complexity in complying with the mandate:

"Why We Donít Have The Unified One Single Electronic Transponder System?"
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 10:38:59 PM »
In the Houston area an EZ Tag is required for the MH and the toad.  They are separate tags, both must be purchased.  The one for Class C comes with instructions to place it in the lower part of the windshield close to the middle of it.  You are charged $40 for initial deposit and a monthly report is sent to you by email.  This is what I have.  In IL, we use an I-Pass for all vehicles.  You also need a credit card on file.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 08:56:41 PM »
In the Houston area an EZ Tag is required for the MH and the toad.  They are separate tags, both must be purchased.  The one for Class C comes with instructions to place it in the lower part of the windshield close to the middle of it.  You are charged $40 for initial deposit and a monthly report is sent to you by email.  This is what I have.  In IL, we use an I-Pass for all vehicles.  You also need a credit card on file.

This is why I went with the TX Tag.  They don't charge for the tag.  I have not had to get a separate tag for my trailers yet (I pull a 5th wheel and a utility trailer).  As I said above, the cameras count the axles and charge appropriately.  At least this is the way it's worked for me since I've been here.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 08:45:26 PM »
the cameras count the axles and charge appropriately

Thats what it says on their website too. But again, it doesnt mention MHs and toads.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 11:31:34 PM »
It's called "IPass" in Illinois, and is compatible with all EZPass lanes.  There's no annual fee.  You pay around $50 for the transponder, and I think $40 or so of that goes into your account for toll use.

The other major advantage in Illinois is that with the I-Pass, the tolls are half price (compared to pulling over and paying cash/coin).  That's more than worth the $10 net cost of the transponder.  With some Chicago area tolls nearing the $5 range now, the savings add up fast.  And we only use ours a couple times per year.  I just set the transponder on the dash when we are nearing a toll and it works fine.  Otherwise it stays in the center console in its anti-static bag (or whatever that thing is).  Every so often, I log in online and check my balance to make sure there is enough for our next trip.

When we had our motorhome, I'd occasionally get lucky and only get charged the car rate.  But the systems now are usually smart enough to catch the extra axles and/or larger vehicle and charge accordingly.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 07:24:13 AM »
The other major advantage in Illinois is that with the I-Pass, the tolls are half price (compared to pulling over and paying cash/coin).  That's more than worth the $10 net cost of the transponder.  With some Chicago area tolls nearing the $5 range now, the savings add up fast.  And we only use ours a couple times per year.  I just set the transponder on the dash when we are nearing a toll and it works fine.  Otherwise it stays in the center console in its anti-static bag (or whatever that thing is).  Every so often, I log in online and check my balance to make sure there is enough for our next trip.

When we had our motorhome, I'd occasionally get lucky and only get charged the car rate.  But the systems now are usually smart enough to catch the extra axles and/or larger vehicle and charge accordingly.

IPass rate being 1/2 off the cash price (in Illinois) is a great point that I neglected to mention.  If you spend any time on the Chicagoland expressways, this adds up to real savings!

Remember you can set up your account to automatically replenish from your card when it reaches a certain threshold (that you can adjust).  It eliminates needing to check the account for sufficient balance.  Only issue I've had is neglecting to update my card info when it expired, causing me to be briefly trapped in a gated plaza on the OH turnpike...  Whoops!   :-[
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 07:39:44 AM »
The NY State Thruway has an E-ZPass "Motorhome Plan" that only charges us regular car rates per axle instead of the higher "tall vehicle" rates the large trucks and buses pay. We did have to register with a copy of our registration to get a transponder coded for the plan. There's also a discount plan for 5'vers.
Dutch

Macrosill

• ---
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 06:07:08 AM »
Speaking of tolls. Just saw a receipt for a toll crossing the GW bridge, NJ for a MH....$84.00.

Last year I got banged 68 dollars to cross the GWB, and that was with the blue "rv discount" transponder.  This is out of control.  I have to allot a couple hundred extra for every RV trip off the Island.
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 05:50:24 PM »
Holy cow... for $68 or $84 I'd want to be able to stop and camp ON the bridge.  With full hookups!

docj

• ---
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 08:38:58 PM »

I can tell you from experience that the TX system is very unreliable if you have passes in both the MH and the toad despite what you may be told.  After a trip on the Sam Houston Toll road around Houston we would get separate charges totaling, occasionally, as many as 5 axles (even though both vehicles have 2 axles).  These days we simply remove the toad's pass and put it in a foil pouch.  The axles counters are pretty accurate and usually we get billed for 4 axles.  Even though the pass has adhesive and is designed not be be removable we just use 3M dual lock fasteners to hold it to the windshield rather than the adhesive.  Dual Lock is the same material that EZPass gives you for mounting your pass on your windshield.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 04:35:34 PM »
Personally, I like Kansas Turnpike the best... you get a ticket when you get on and then you stop and pay when you get off. You dont have a bunch of different toll plazas to have to go through
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 08:44:40 PM »
Personally, I like Kansas Turnpike the best... you get a ticket when you get on and then you stop and pay when you get off. You dont have a bunch of different toll plazas to have to go through

I agree -- it's great. Now if we just figure out how to move it to Chicago.....
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 06:40:35 AM »

I like toll roads like the NY Thruway, Mass Pike, etc., where we can get on and never need to stop for tickets or tolls at all. They just read our E-ZPass tag as we roll on by.  ;)
Dutch

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 06:49:51 AM »
I like toll roads like the NY Thruway, Mass Pike, etc., where we can get on and never need to stop for tickets or tolls at all. They just read our E-ZPass tag as we roll on by.  ;)

Best is Missouri where I have yet to see any toll road. Not sure if any exist.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 1

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 07:08:22 AM »

Bill

A number of states have no toll roads, Bill, and certainly that's preferable from a traveler standpoint. But where there are tolls, my statement stands...
Dutch

Madcow

• ---
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 07:18:26 AM »

Bill

Missouri legislature, for several years, has made overtures that they would like to turn I-70 into a toll road.

I go thru Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio frequently.  The toll thing doesn't really bother me much, but the fact that Indiana and Ohio like to live in the past and still use gates is.  Illinois uses high speed tolling out on the main road for those with EZ Pass.  I was hoping, big time, that when Indiana leased out the the I-80/90 toll road, that it would get upgraded to high speed tolling.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:29:30 AM by Madcow »

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2018, 07:47:58 AM »

That's a neat feature, but the Kansas Turnpike is cheaper (a lot) than most places I've found toll roads. Of course it's been in place for a lot of years, but so has the Pennsy, and it's expensive.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 10:22:36 AM »
Lots of talk about Illinois, but the only tolls you will find here are in the Chicagoland area (uppermost NE corner of the state).  The rest of the state (and that's most of us) let you drive the roads for free.  ;)